Playa Del Carmen March

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Playa Del Carmen March

Postby keegster17 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Could I get a update on the kite boarding situation in Playa Del Carmen. What area to stay, kite boarding conditions good/bad. Bringing the wife, so need a good balance of nice beach but can kiteboard as well. I was planning to stay somewhere just North of Playa, close enough, I just can get in a car and go out for dinner and nightlife.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Playa Del Carmen March

Postby Foil » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 am

There is little choice unfortunately, pray for wind with south of East in it and you may get out at Playa Honda near the airport,
Best beach is Famara, not family friendy, but can be awesome.
Maybe a change of island would work better

for Ttip joy and happy family experience then Tenerife is a good bet,
El Medano is the spot

Flag beach here on Fuerteventura is great for family's but Ttip water time can be frustratingly all or nothing.all kite sizes needed, especially big sizes.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:24 pm

:wink: I’m guessing he means playa del carmen in Mexico...

The beach gets very busy with sunbathers and launching safely is a challenge. I stayed in the town centre and walked down the beach past the last hostels each day, it’s a good 2km walk each way in the heat with your gear. The main problem is south of the town is all private hotels who won’t let you access the beach, so you either have to book into an all inclusive hotel or walk along the shoreline from town.

It’s a great place for non-kiting wife, loads to do. I would stay in central Play Del Carmen and not hire a car as hotel security will not let you park or get to the main beach easily. Some years they have winter storms which dump a large amount of seaweed on the beach, google it.

Take a big kite, generally blows around 16 to 18mph warm wind. I rode a 14m torch (85kgs) and never felt too powered. Check out other locations to the north and Isla Holbox is amazing...there is an amazing lagoon to the north of cancun..

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:04 pm

Check out playa mujeres 30 min north of Cancun.
Long uncrowded beach and can take winds from all directions. Great resorts but not much nightlife.

I stayed at the finest and beloved.

Return to “Kitesurfing”