Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First non c kite in 20 years

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

First non c kite in 20 years

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:48 am

I have had had 6 sessions on a 10m neo I bought.

Getting use to it. Goes up wind really well, with much less effort, especially in light/moderate winds.
I got a 5' 1" tomo with straight rails for less windy days which probably helps too.

Harder to s loop deep down low when waveriding which is a bit annoying ( less responsive steering).

Some strapless tricks are way easier on it with the depower.

The upwind thing has been the biggest change.

Missing the whippyness instant pull of my torches.. interesting transition.

27-45 knots I still don't like pulleys /bridles involved though.. I would still trust a 5th line more.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First non c kite in 20 years

Postby Daversj » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:48 am

Getting use to it. Goes up wind really well, with much less effort, especially in light/moderate winds.
I got a 5' 1" tomo with straight rails for less windy days which probably helps too.

Harder to s loop deep down low when waveriding which is a bit annoying ( less responsive steering).

27-45 knots I still don't like pulleys /bridles involved though.. I would still trust a 5th line more.
Interesting observations. Haven’t had a C kite since a 2011 c4. I would have thought the Neo had very responsive steering being a wave kite. I ride the Reo and love the way it turns and light bar pressure. I think most wave kites are designed not to pull to hard when you redirect. That way it doesn't affect your surfing as much....
Probably just need time to adapt.
Definitely not a fan of 5 lines in the waves. If you roll the kite in a wave its over and you’re swimming.
I would like to try the Neo and Reo back to back. Both kites are well regarded but not sure of the differences.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:59 am

Daversj wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:48 am

Interesting observations. Haven’t had a C kite since a 2011 c4. I would have thought the Neo had very responsive steering being a wave kite. I ride the Reo and love the way it turns and light bar pressure. I think most wave kites are designed not to pull to hard when you redirect. That way it doesn't affect your surfing as much....
Probably just need time to adapt.
Definitely not a fan of 5 lines in the waves. If you roll the kite in a wave its over and you’re swimming.
I would like to try the Neo and Reo back to back. Both kites are well regarded but not sure of the differences.

I think the 10m neo is bigger than other 10sm kites, closer to an 11?

I find myself steering with the leader lines on heavy waves going downwind.. I think I have seen airton doing this sometimes and can see why.

Slingshot used to have a feature called wave grenade.. a pin you pulled to release the 5th and still relaunch kite and kite back in... flys like crap but does fly. 5th really helps kites to pivot and if wrapped in lines knowing which is your 5th line by colour can save your ass... so much less likely to ever have to deal with death loops too.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Carlos_C » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 am

I have 5 line and 4 line fuels - the 4 line fuels are so much better...all bloody old and all work well

Return to “Kitesurfing”