Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha bar throw length

Postby jespin4845 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:31 am

What is the length of the Cabrinha bar main depower line fully sheeted out on a Trimlite bar?
Thanks

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Cabrinha bar throw length

Postby pākihiroa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:06 am

There is no wind today. So, since you asked, the measured throw of my 2017 44 cm Cabrinha Trimlite bar is 50 cm.

In comparison the measured throw of my 2015 48 ~ 56 cm Cabrinha Overdrive recoil bar is 28 cm at maximum spring extension and 56 cm with recoil spring fully compressed. However, the 28 cm value might be a bit misleading. At maximum extension, the spring is very compressible. I suspect that, even with the kite parked at 12, the tension on the steering lines might easily compress the spring by 2 to 4 cm.

Measurement uncertainly is on the order of 1 cm. It is a little hard to judge the throw exactly because the opening in the bar actually recesses into a cone on the swivel on the order of 1 cm.

So the recoil bar offers 6 cm additional throw. And, yes, I have personally witnessed the spring fully compressed, hands off the bar, mid-tomahawk. Yet another advantage of the recoil system. Well, that, and the fact that it doesn't annoyingly get itself jammed at full de-power like my Trimlite.

Now, in terms of "the length of the Cabrinha bar main depower line", I am not sure that I have answered your question. But the 50 cm throw value plus the knowledge that the steering and main lines are supposed to be equal length (give or take the bridles ?) when fully sheeted in might hopefully get you nearer to the answer you are seeking,
These users thanked the author pākihiroa for the post:
jespin4845 (Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:29 am

pākihiroa wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:06 am
At maximum extension, the spring is very compressible. I suspect that, even with the kite parked at 12, the tension on the steering lines might easily compress the spring by 2 to 4 cm.
When you park the kite at 12 and the spring is fully compressed, it's going to be a good day :D

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:02 pm

pākihiroa wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:06 am
Well, that, and the fact that it doesn't annoyingly get itself jammed at full de-power like my Trimlite.
The Cabrinha cleat does tend to stick at times. I find bars using a genuine Clamcleat don't have this problem. That and the small diameter hole for the flagging line are its main issues. Not sure if the made the hole any bigger on the latest version. Otherwise i like their bar and lines.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:42 pm

I have been using the cleats on Cabrinha Bars for years now and never had any issues. My opinion is from what I have read and seen on the beach the reason bars stick or lines break etc is because the user allows sand to get into the parts, and does not keep them clean and washed with fresh water.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:03 am

All cleats stick if you use them incorrectly.

If you're trying to release the line to power up but pull the handle in line with the cleat then all you end up doing is pulling in more of the trimmer.

You have to pull the handle out and away from the cleat to be certain it is going to release.

My 2018 Cabrinha bar had 45cm throw. The trimmer adds another 20cm, although it can be a but of a pain to release if you pull the whole 20cm through.

I modified my bar to get 45cm out of the trimmer (put in a longer trim adjustment line and longer bar leaders to suit). In light wind I can rig my kite to oversheet, and just pull more and more trim as the wind gets stronger.

I have been using a Pintxo bar with 60cm of travel and short lines. I have not had to use the trimmer at all with this setup. It's quite fun in the waves.

I have bought a spare part Cabrinha Recoil depower line. That has 68cm of throw (without all the springs and stuff) and I will make a trimless bar. I have long arms and it's nice to simply ride and not think about pulling and releasing trimmers.

PS On my home built bar I got rid of the webbing handle. It just gets in the way. I simply have a length of line with some knots in it. It's easy to grab and operate and doesn't hook up on the lines during setup. Same with the bungy depower and safety lines. The bungies just wear out.

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am

The problem I have with the Trimlite de-power is not directly related to the cleat. Rather, if I over zealously pull in the de-power "control line/bungee", the grey fabric covering the bungee gets jammed in the metal loop thingee, like so:

Even if the bungee is de-cleated, it will not slide back through that metal part. And, despite my best efforts, it appears that no amount of jiggling or swearing at it will clear the jam either. :) The only way that I can recover from this jam on the water is to drop the kite and use two hands to free it.

I would be more than happy to be enlightened as to whether the issue I am having is due to operator error, or a design or manufacturing fault......

Return to “Kitesurfing”