Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Vertigo while Kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Vertigo while Kiting?

Postby TheJoe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:14 am

I would go see a Doctor to get checked out. I would do it sooner than later. I hope I'm wrong but the first thing I thought of when reading your symptoms was a stroke. I would say those symptoms are serious enough for a dr's visit.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:49 am

I hope your case is easier than mine but it's 3 years I'm bouncing between neurologists and examinations, no way to understand why I suffer of vertigo, not only when kiting. In the beginning I was really suffering the situation, especially when driving. Now I'm quite "accustomed" to the problem, so I don't mind it too much any more. Ό χρόνος ιατρός πάντων των νόσων...
These users thanked the author pmaggie for the post:
PurdyKiter (Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 pm

If you have recovered, it is safe to say it is highly unlikely that you have had a stroke! None the less, vertigo is terrible. Your brain keeps track of balance by integrating information from three primary systems. Your eye sight, the semi circular canals of your inner ear and your head position as reported by the proprioception of your neck muscles. If one of those three systems disagrees with the other two you get confusion most often experienced as vertigo. It can be from lack of environmental cues like the skiing in powder experiences discussed, a kink or spasm in your neck musculature, or issues with debris of unknown origin in the semi circular canals of your inner ear. It is not a bone out of place in your ear! We are not exactly sure what can float around in there but the best hypothesis is that its either a flake of skin or hair debris that seems to fit with its prevalence in older age, or potentially a type of crystal that can form like in conditions like gout, but that is still just hypothesis. For sure its not a bone! Mennier's is different and will not recover in the time frame you describe. Dehydration, sun exposure and pathomechanics in the neck are the most likely ingredients in your case. Drink lots, shade your head, and get a massage or see a good chiro.

The maneuver for getting inner ear debris to the portion of the semi circular canal where it can be absorbed is call the Epley maneuver. It can be done alone but is more effective when guided by someone with experience. It also requires than you remain head vertical without a lot of activity or jostling for 24 hours afterward as you can easily disturb the fluid in the inner ear subsequently and undo any benefit. It often has to be done a few times with proper post tx self care to work. It is very low cost/risk.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
PurdyKiter (Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Jumptheshack....
"Dehydration, sun exposure and pathomechanics in the neck are the most likely ingredients in your case.

I CAN tell you that often over the past 2 years I'm coming home from a session with neck & head pain. The neck pain is located high like near the base of my skull. I thought it was from a bad fitting helmet so I stopped wearing my helmet. Would get a fierce headache that no drug would touch.
All normal today (2 days post-event)
Thank You
Talking to my Dr
Kip

"
jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 pm
If you have recovered, it is safe to say it is highly unlikely that you have had a stroke! None the less, vertigo is terrible. Your brain keeps track of balance by integrating information from three primary systems. Your eye sight, the semi circular canals of your inner ear and your head position as reported by the proprioception of your neck muscles. If one of those three systems disagrees with the other two you get confusion most often experienced as vertigo. It can be from lack of environmental cues like the skiing in powder experiences discussed, a kink or spasm in your neck musculature, or issues with debris of unknown origin in the semi circular canals of your inner ear. It is not a bone out of place in your ear! We are not exactly sure what can float around in there but the best hypothesis is that its either a flake of skin or hair debris that seems to fit with its prevalence in older age, or potentially a type of crystal that can form like in conditions like gout, but that is still just hypothesis. For sure its not a bone! Mennier's is different and will not recover in the time frame you describe. Dehydration, sun exposure and pathomechanics in the neck are the most likely ingredients in your case. Drink lots, shade your head, and get a massage or see a good chiro.

The maneuver for getting inner ear debris to the portion of the semi circular canal where it can be absorbed is call the Epley maneuver. It can be done alone but is more effective when guided by someone with experience. It also requires than you remain head vertical without a lot of activity or jostling for 24 hours afterward as you can easily disturb the fluid in the inner ear subsequently and undo any benefit. It often has to be done a few times with proper post tx self care to work. It is very low cost/risk.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Daversj wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Obviously see a doctor.....

I had persistent but not severe vertigo a few years back as well. When getting up from lying down or moving my head from down to up as you described. It lasted about 4 months but went away eventually. After talking with an ear doctor we figured out what it was. I do a fair amount of diving and hunting while diving. This puts you in some unusual upside down positions underwater grabbing lobster and fish or even photos. Apparently there is a tiny bone in your ear that can get misplaced and cause vertigo. There is a sequence of head movements that can put it back in place. The head manipulation has a name but it escapes me. Anyway, mine must have corrected itself without the procedure because it eventually went away....
Not saying this is what you have but who knows.

Yes,I encountered this last fall. It was really shitty. I woke up, tried getting out of bed and almost fell over. It felt like I went on a massive cheap beer bender the night before - room spinning, dizzy, almost puking. It turns out a doctor friend of ours told me about ear calcification. One tiny granule breaking free and going in the wrong canal will make you have vertigo. She said there's a bunch of head motions/stretches that will take care of it. I Youtube'd the exercises/stretches to get the "ear rock" to work it's way out of the maze that's your inner ear canal controlling your equilibrium. Thankfully it worked and I was back to normal in a week.
So just a head's up, (no pun intended) most of those stretches have you on your back with your head hung off a table. That one didn't work well for me. I can't find the vid now, but it was a lady demonstrating a stretch and head movement that was done from your knees, pivoting your head to both sides with your arms outstretched. This seemed to rid me of the symptoms.

Good luck!
https://www.npr.org/2009/04/27/10346339 ... to-vertigo

BrinM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Muriwai
Style: Wet
Gear: Duotone , Cab Foil

Postby BrinM » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:46 pm

If its inner ear stuff, Epley Maneoeuvre might help