Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby Havre » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Right. The same way we blame North America for the 2009 swine flu.

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:40 pm

A communist Chinese flu who only kills 1%? Communists were a bigger threat back in the days. How disappointing.
These users thanked the author BenBen for the post:
kiteykitekite (Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:41 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:53 pm

It's like watching the stock market ; % deaths change , every hour.

One hour ago it was 329,299 total , 14376 deaths , 4.36 % dead
and now ; one hour later :

Bille
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 2.48.39 PM - Display 1.png

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:21 pm
Have you ever seen zombie movies? Think zombies coming for your brains, but your brains are actually the extra food you've grown. Hunger really changes people.

In a country where you have nothing to defend yourself with, you're going to need to set up some pretty strong and numerous social ties to protect anything that you may have, which others do not. So be sure to focus on that aspect of protecting what you have, once you have acquired it.
That is true we don't have widespread arms in the UK but that also means the person trying to nick my potatoes wont have a gun either so we will just have a punch up in my garden. If it really gets that bad we will have Martial Law, and I doubt people will starve in the UK but there might be food rationing. If it gets to a 28 days later situation then I will have to rethink my vegetable garden idea and go off and live in the forest somewhere and try and find some mushrooms.
These users thanked the author UKSurf for the post:
kiteykitekite (Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm)

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 am

UKSurf wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 am
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:21 pm
Have you ever seen zombie movies? Think zombies coming for your brains, but your brains are actually the extra food you've grown. Hunger really changes people.

In a country where you have nothing to defend yourself with, you're going to need to set up some pretty strong and numerous social ties to protect anything that you may have, which others do not. So be sure to focus on that aspect of protecting what you have, once you have acquired it.
That is true we don't have widespread arms in the UK but that also means the person trying to nick my potatoes wont have a gun either so we will just have a punch up in my garden. If it really gets that bad we will have Martial Law, and I doubt people will starve in the UK but there might be food rationing. If it gets to a 28 days later situation then I will have to rethink my vegetable garden idea and go off and live in the forest somewhere and try and find some mushrooms.
Let's start with the martial law thing. Those who are enforcing martial law on half rations will confiscate any food you have at the point of their gun, which was provided by your government, via your taxes. So scratch the idea of the government protecting you buddy! You paid for the gun that will enforce your forced starvation.

Next, the criminals do possess the means with which to secure at least one gun/ mob. In the United States though, that doesn't make you outgunned. On the rest of the planet, that does make you outgunned. And by outgunned I mean at least one gun vs. no guns. Now if you happen to be accosted at the onset before the criminals raid enough to acquire a gun, those criminals will be knocking on your door at a 5 to 1 ratio armed with knives clubs and machetes, that makes a fist fight a bit of a moot point. And even if you're only looking at a two-to-one ratio, think of your family or friends who are unable to defend themselves in your place after you are killed and will be dying because you chose to stand instead of fleeing for all of your lives.

But cheer up, as this thing is not going to be nearly as devastating a disease compared to what existed 100 years ago back to the beginning of humanity. This is going to be a cakewalk compared to most of our history, and even certain locations on the globe in the last 50 years.

UKSurf wrote:
That is true we don't have widespread arms in the UK
And therein lies the problem. When the means to oppress lies in the hands of a few....... cue history!

And given that there are no current countries who respect an individual's right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, one has to wonder if that ideal will ever once again exist on the face of this Earth, at least in some small corner of it.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
kiteykitekite (Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun 138x42
Ozone Enduro V2 6/8/10/12m

Postby iriejohn » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:53 am

Never realised that there were so many prescient polymaths on Kiteforum!

Oh...

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 am
UKSurf wrote:
That is true we don't have widespread arms in the UK
And therein lies the problem. When the means to oppress lies in the hands of a few....... cue history!

And given that there are no current countries who respect an individual's right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, one has to wonder if that ideal will ever once again exist on the face of this Earth, at least in some small corner of it.
I am not totally against the American view of the right to bear arms, and I do understand the reason for it but personally I would prefer to live in a country without widespread firearms. I also agree that people who totally trust the government to look after them and act in their interest are probably naïve, and the people who founded the US were totally right to question the motivations of people who want power of others.

However, if it gets to the point where the army is coming round requisitioning my beans at gun point ontop of the Corona Virus then it might be Game Over - but atleast I gave it my best shot.

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:13 pm

We may have the right to bear arms in the usa but if you ever actually defend yourself or your property with a gun you may very well end up wishing you had used it on yourself instead before ending up in prison ha

Im not worried about getting a bigger than usual garden in. If things get that bad I can cull a few more of the deer and turkeys that infest the home of the free. I doubt that will be necessary even then, as we (and all my neighbors ) already have several in the freezer of course.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:13 pm
We may have the right to bear arms in the usa but if you ever actually defend yourself or your property with a gun you may very well end up wishing you had used it on yourself instead before ending up in prison ha
This is very true in a time of peace, while Law & Order exist. In that case, the government always seeks Monopoly on violence. Any challenge to that Monopoly is typically met with violence.

When Law and Order do not exist, then survival takes on a new meaning. In those times, there may be no court or prison to be sent to.

This is not fantasy or a doomsday scenario. The above conditions have existed in many places and many times before, on this Earth and Humanities history. And Humanity survived. There will always be survivors. The focus should be on avoiding the situation in which the survival rate is in question.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 pm

For more recent examples see Libya, Syria and much of Africa. An armed populace is very hard to oppress. I am not so sure that just guns is to be considered armed these days though. Going up against rogue government, you are going to want some more heavy equipment. I would think some anti aircraft and tank missiles would be a minimum. The militia cause is not really played correctly I think. States should have independent militaries armed with everything but nukes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”