Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby Trent hink » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:14 pm

The cost of this whole thing will not just be big, but literally astounding. We will all pay. Our children and grandchildren will pay.

The benefit is we might save millions of lives, but what does that really mean?

I have news for you. People die every day.

Lots of people die every day. If you take a minute to see just how many people die every day, and look at what the causes are, this whole pandemic amounts to practically nothing.

What is it that makes this thing worth destroying entire economies and suspending individual liberties?

At this point it means that farm production is rotting in the fields. Think about it. Is not dieing so important that you are willing to give up your chance to actually live?

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:53 pm

I don't know, It's highly contagious and its taking your best healthy people. Quickly.

Would you rather the healthcare system be brought to its knees? I guess you're happy to walk over the bodies, "not me..not my problem"
Your colours are nailed to the flagpole. Sociopath?

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Thatspeck » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 am

ScoopZ wrote: and its taking your best healthy people. Quickly.
Let’s stick with facts, the above is not one of them.

And personal attacks, c’mon...
These users thanked the author Thatspeck for the post:
Trent hink (Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:15 am

Trent hink wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:14 pm
The cost of this whole thing will not just be big, but literally astounding. We will all pay. Our children and grandchildren will pay.

The benefit is we might save millions of lives, but what does that really mean?

I have news for you. People die every day.

Lots of people die every day. If you take a minute to see just how many people die every day, and look at what the causes are, this whole pandemic amounts to practically nothing.

What is it that makes this thing worth destroying entire economies and suspending individual liberties?

At this point it means that farm production is rotting in the fields. Think about it. Is not dieing so important that you are willing to give up your chance to actually live?

I don't know. At this point it's difficult to imagine what the situation would be if we didn't do anything or did far less. From the moment hospitals are overwhelmed, all sorts of other things start happening I think. Heart attack, apendicitis etc ? Hospitals are full, join the back of the queue (I imagine). The situation in New York (Italy, Spain etc) was/is bad as it is, what would it have been like if no measures had been taken ?

I'm not aware of any "destroyed economies", I remember seeing a map where I think GDP of european countries was expected to drop around 6 %. Somewhere else it mentions 0.7% in the US, but I could be wrong. But both of these although kind of incompatible with a difference of a factor 9 or so, sound "manageable". But that also translates in lots of lives lost (10,000 in the Uk I think I remember seeing).

We'll know in a few months probably, by then we'll know more about Brazil, Nicaragua etc. Lots of countries/governments will then be criticized I'm sure. One things seems clear: imediate response is (was) very important.

What I'm surprised about is that Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea reacted the way they did because they had the SARS, MERS experience fresh in their minds. It seems we have all known what happened then. Why was it necessary for Europe and the US to have to experience Corona first hand to get their act together ? Why couldn't they have learned from that same SARS/MERS experience ? I'm afraid in the coming years all sorts of nasty details are going to start coming out. About China, but also about "the west". Easy to criticize though..
These users thanked the author Pemba for the post (total 2):
Flyingseb (Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 am) • jumptheshark (Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:50 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:37 pm

US, Canada have funded Chinese lab eyed as likely source of coronavirus outbreak

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/u-s-ca ... hinese-lab

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 pm

still no talking about Covid - only Trump election campaign. Has this marlborough guy ever posted something about kiteboarding?

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:17 pm

I think my comment was relevent. I apologize if i accused some people of being short-sighted.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:49 am

fun2kite wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:03 am
Corona Virus (COVID-19) is putting cities and soon countries on lock downs. Multiple travel restrictions are in place.
Flights being canceled. Quarantines being introduced and forced in some destinations.

This thread is to post information or just vent and share your experiences about how COVID-19 is affecting KITE LIFE (Travel, competitionn events, gear developoment (all done in China!), gear delivery, ability to go to the beach, etc..

I know, I know, this is a pandemic! And bitching about kitesurfing inconveniences during the pandemic when people's lives are at risk is NOT something of real importance.

So to make clear, I am not in any way trying to minimize or normalize the suffering of all the people who are affected by the COVID-19. I myself live in a high risk country and deal with the situation every day. But it is a kitesurfing forum and this major world wide issue has an additional angle (non essential) to look at from the point of view of it's affect on kitesurfing industry, kitesurfing as a sport and as a hobby.

I think this may be a very long thread by the time it's all OVER.
Got that right! :thumb: Except the kitesurfing part :naughty:

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:21 am

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:17 pm
I think my comment was relevent. I apologize if i accused some people of being short-sighted.
I think your comments were on topic and relevant as well. Much more so than for instance video's of Trump speeches. Not that I'm at all offended by those but they are obviously political and not on topic. As far as I am concerned, keep them coming.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:51 pm

revhed wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:57 pm

With about 644,000 reported cases and 28,500 deaths in the USA at this time, massive unemployment and fear for ones own and families health he has this attitude......

R H
percap.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”