Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby fun2kite » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:03 am

Corona Virus (COVID-19) is putting cities and soon countries on lock downs. Multiple travel restrictions are in place.
Flights being canceled. Quarantines being introduced and forced in some destinations.

This thread is to post information or just vent and share your experiences about how COVID-19 is affecting KITE LIFE (Travel, competitionn events, gear developoment (all done in China!), gear delivery, ability to go to the beach, etc..

I know, I know, this is a pandemic! And bitching about kitesurfing inconveniences during the pandemic when people's lives are at risk is NOT something of real importance.

So to make clear, I am not in any way trying to minimize or normalize the suffering of all the people who are affected by the COVID-19. I myself live in a high risk country and deal with the situation every day. But it is a kitesurfing forum and this major world wide issue has an additional angle (non essential) to look at from the point of view of it's affect on kitesurfing industry, kitesurfing as a sport and as a hobby.

I think this may be a very long thread by the time it's all OVER.

Let me start the thread...

I am going to Pranburi (Thailand) next weekend for a week of kitesurfing. I live in Hong Kong and Thailand just introduced a mandatory quarantine for a list of countries that are "high risk". with required quarantine of two weeks for visitors from these countries. There is a lot of uncertainty about if they actually enforce it. Some of my friends landed yesterday and despite the fact they were from Hong Kong, they were just "advised" to self quarantine but, they were let go to their final destination. This may change within next few days. I am still debating if I should cancel my trip and just stay home.. Though I desperately need a break.

Airlines also already moved my flights twice.. Canceled both of my flights and re-booked me to a flights departing in much less convenient times.. Oh well. Not the end of the world.

If you traveling to Thailand and coming from any country or via any country that is defined as high risk. you may want to keep and eye on latest updates and see if they really force people into qurantine with people who actually went before you. also official info updates here: https://twitter.com/prdthailand (though if you read here, you will only get an official version and NOT what is really happening at the airport ) also here: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby UKSurf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:56 am

I was travelling in South China during the SARS outbreak and it is not an experience I would want to repeat. Basically they were testing people at checkpoints and travel hubs and if you had a temperature or just suspected you had the virus they threw you in a cell with other people they also thought might be infected and waited to see if you recovered. I guess the governments perspective was if you want to risk travelling about during an outbreak it is your own fault, and I can see their perspective. I did not have alot of choice since I had no where to stay, had run out of money and was trying to leave the country. I would imagine a similar thing is happening now in a number of countries or will happen shortly - Martial Law. There is NO WAY i would risk travelling in a pandemic. I would imagine travel insurance companies are telling people they are not paying for covid 19 intensive care!
Last edited by UKSurf on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 am

Stay home....or prepare to stay where u travel...situation Will become worst soon....
These users thanked the author Surfkiternew for the post:
TomW (Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regularkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: North

Postby Regularkiter » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:56 pm

yeah, personally me and my partner cancelled all kiteboarding travel plans until this things play out, too risky and a lot of unknowns... kiting locally for now.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:57 pm

Surfkiternew wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 am
Stay home....or prepare to stay where u travel...situation Will become worst soon....
This.

In N. America and Europe COVID-19 is about to accelerate and ramp up.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:06 pm

I have trip booked and paid for at the end of the month I'm still going it's a pretty isolated place anyway. I'm not really worried about the bug itself the death rate for people my age in great physical condition is almost zero but I'm more worried about the general paranoia and people acting irrationally. I'm not making summer plans yet I'll wait to see what happens!

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:06 pm
I have trip booked and paid for at the end of the month I'm still going it's pretty isolated place anyway. I'm not really worried about the bug itself the death rate for people my age in great physical condition is almost zero but I'm more worried about the general paranoia and people acting irrationally. I'm not making summer plans yet I'll wait to see what happens!
If you think governments are shutting down entire cities because of Paranoia... The death rate could be 30 times the seasonal flu and it is alot more infectious. Over 10% who get this are critical (ie need hospitalization) and if it really spreads they wont have a hospital bed for you because the health system of your country will have collapsed. Worst case scenario is hundreds of millions of people killed.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:18 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:06 pm
I have trip booked and paid for at the end of the month I'm still going it's pretty isolated place anyway. I'm not really worried about the bug itself the death rate for people my age in great physical condition is almost zero but I'm more worried about the general paranoia and people acting irrationally. I'm not making summer plans yet I'll wait to see what happens!
If you think governments are shutting down entire cities because of Paranoia... The death rate could be 30 times the seasonal flu and it is alot more infectious. Over 10% who get this are critical (ie need hospitalization) and if it really spreads they wont have a hospital bed for you because the health system of your country will have collapsed. Worst case scenario is hundreds of millions of people killed.
The 10% ie. the critical ones, which age are they? Are the basically healthy people below 50yrs in any kind of danger? The dead chinese doctor wasn't that old, but don't know her base condition. Cannot really find relevant/true info on this one.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:25 pm

It put a big dent in it when I couldn't source a $20 part for my bar. So put me out of action for awhile. I dont see how closing factories and exports in states miles away from Wuhan can achieve anything. Manufacturing in China is starting to have more cons than pros.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:26 pm

COVID-19 Death Simulator per country. Takes into account data from the field and breaks it down by age category. Scary stuff. But of course it is data simulation based on current available statistics.
Chose a country and then slide a slider to a % of people infected in a country and it calculates statistical death rate for that country.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/karl ... imulations
These users thanked the author fun2kite for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:20 pm) • CaptainCore (Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”