Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby knotwindy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Huh, this mask question reminds me of the ‘helmet ‘ question that we get on here.
It helps. No, it makes some things worse & provides a false sense of security.

As usual, everyone is an expert & yet no one knows. Go to love people & the way they “think”.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
Pemba (Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 pm

If anyone has ever gone through hazmat training you'll agree how hard it is to avoid being contaminated. Fit test respirators, proper sequence to putting on and removing ppe , cleaning stations and on and on.At least research this subject if you're using gloves and masks.If doing,do it right.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Even a high quality carbon mask, used for painting cars or airplanes ; they are
only good for a rather short time-span, and then the filter needs replacing.
If you use it too long, to change the filters ; a guy can get really sick, from the fumes.

Bille

salsaaddict
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby salsaaddict » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

For me, wearing a mask whenever I go buying groceries every two weeks prevents me from touching my nose etc. shortly after I touched a store item that somebody else might have touched a minute before. I just can't stop that reflex otherwise.

Also, if everybody wears masks (not just the people who are infected) there won't be any public shaming. I think this is something they discovered in South Korea.

Will it protect me if somebody exhales near me? Probably not.

On the topic of re-using masks:

"However, they wrote, "70 C / 158 F heating in a kitchen-type of oven for 30 min, or hot water vapor from boiling water for 10 min, are additional effective decontamination methods."
Doctors scramble for best practices on reusing medical masks during shortage
https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing- ... irus.html

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:07 pm

salsaaddict wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm
For me, wearing a mask whenever I go buying groceries every two weeks prevents me from touching my nose etc. shortly after I touched a store item that somebody else might have touched a minute before. I just can't stop that reflex otherwise.

Also, if everybody wears masks (not just the people who are infected) there won't be any public shaming. I think this is something they discovered in South Korea.

Will it protect me if somebody exhales near me? Probably not.

On the topic of re-using masks:

"However, they wrote, "70 C / 158 F heating in a kitchen-type of oven for 30 min, or hot water vapor from boiling water for 10 min, are additional effective decontamination methods."
Doctors scramble for best practices on reusing medical masks during shortage
https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing- ... irus.html

You have to have eye protection also, the virus gets in your fluids in your eyes.

No shutdown in sweden yet, maybe they shutdown stockholm but thats not my problem.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 am

knotwindy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:45 am

CDC spending has increased every year since Trump has been president.. The unit was not fired, people left and roles were reissued..
First part is kind of true but gives a false impression as if it was Trumps idea to increase it. The link you gave says the opposite, he tried to decrease it & congress increased it.

The second part is simply intentionally inaccurate. Some were forced out and their roles were not reissued, they were dropped or ignored.

Although imo The Donald is just another selfish liar & con-man, the important part of that sentence is not ‘just another’. With this virus, He lies, people die. :!:

CDC spending has increased for the past three years.. bottomline..

And firing of pandemic team is misleading...

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/dems- ... t-remarks/

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 am

Bille wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:41 pm
If you use it too long, to change the filters ; a guy can get really sick, from the fumes.

Bille

There are different kinds of masks. An organic vapor cartridge is usually good for about 8 hours for that type of exposure, but certain chemicals require something better. A carbon filter alone is gonna do practically zip-squat when it comes to removing particulates, usually they come along with seperate particulate filters.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 am

With chemical filters like carbon, it is not a matter of time but amount of exposure. So if you have very limited exposure say for short periods over longer ones then the filters can last a very long time. An easy way you can know a filter is ineffective is the change in smell. When they work the vapors are removed and you can't smell them, vs when they don't and you can smell them. Obviously though there is different chemicals and how various people react and can smell them. I know though dealing with many toxic and noxious vapors the difference between a working mask and not is dramatic.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am

Bille wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Bille
I never could convince my old boss of that. He was using like 12 year old carbon filters. He swore that since he couldn't smell anything from the paint, it wasn't getting through. He was starting to forget stuff though, and was having other behavioral issues from the years of exposure.

Just like a helmet, some people are never going to accept the reality that personal protective equipment, does make you safer. And on helmets, those that argue against preventing squished out brains, are a prime, are a prime example of this stupidity.

lisaped
Medium Poster

Postby lisaped » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:53 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:21 pm
Well, anything is possible. You have anything close to proof?
https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985
https://www.world-economy.eu/nachrichte ... -der-wand/
https://politros.com/161115-ekspert-oon ... ne-dyavola

This is the most trustworthy opinion which I bielive as I served in that service myself and know what he is talking about.

Return to “Kitesurfing”