Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Taiwan started monitoring passengers from Wuhan on the 31st December 2019.

They have had 2 deaths from COVID-19 from a population of 24 million (and mainly now from people arriving in Taiwan).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Pemba wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm
matth wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Pemba wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 am
Amazing, all this finger pointing. Both Europe and the US had warning. Both seem to be doing worse than China and Europe at least so far, worse than the US. Not even talking about South Korea, etc. So no 10 out of 10, no great people, no great prime ministers. "We" should all be looking at ourselves.

Lies, withheld data, surpressed whistle blowers... One study has suggested it could have been contained by 95% if the Chinese were more honest.......yes I am finger pointing...sorry.

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-earl ... 5faab.html

What ? Lies ?? With held data ? Wake up Matth, this is the political reality of today. I'm convinced it happens just about everywhere, even the great orange man (what was that somebody called him?) is guilty of those. China had no warning, "the west" did. I'm no fan of China but we can point fingers all we want, the reality is we have a big problem that only we can do something about.

Are you kidding?????????? did you bother to read the link???

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:25 pm

matth wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:47 pm
Pemba wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm
matth wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Lies, withheld data, surpressed whistle blowers... One study has suggested it could have been contained by 95% if the Chinese were more honest.......yes I am finger pointing...sorry.

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-earl ... 5faab.html

What ? Lies ?? With held data ? Wake up Matth, this is the political reality of today. I'm convinced it happens just about everywhere, even the great orange man (what was that somebody called him?) is guilty of those. China had no warning, "the west" did. I'm no fan of China but we can point fingers all we want, the reality is we have a big problem that only we can do something about.

Are you kidding?????????? did you bother to read the link???
I apologise, I had not read the link and if it's true (and it's pretty convincing), then China should expect fingers to be pointed at them. Nevertheless, I can't say that I'm surprised about it and I still feel that Europe and the US haven't handled it as well as other countries and for that we are to blame. Pointing fingers now just clouds that point.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Ah, politics, this thread will be closed soon!
You do understand that this viral outbreak is because of how the systems are designed. Not in spite of them. All the a**holes at the top lie to protect their power and money ALLTHE TIME. Whether they are politicians or multinational corporations they lie. A lot. To every one. So when an outbreak occurs this is just their natural response. Nothing special. No matter the system or country or leader. Your owners, yes owners, like you to be scared and separate. It makes you easier to control. They all delayed the information and severity to protect THEMSELVES. Keeping score with money has always been more import to these a*holes than lives. This makes them bear some responsibility for al lot of unnecessary deaths. You want to change it bring them up on charges of manslaughter. Or quit accepting this as the price you pay, just business as usual. As long as you are willing to tolerate being owned, this will continue to happen over & over & over & :o

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes, it seems to have become perfectly acceptable for politicians to lie over and over again. But most of them have been democratically elected. So I agree with you, do something about it or quit complaining. At the moment the challenge seems to be to determine the most appropriate balance between the economy and lives and off course how to sell it. But it's easy to criticize. I don't envy the people that have to make that choice..

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm

You know how you can tell when a politician is lying???

When their lips are moving...
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
revhed (Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:49 pm

matth wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:11 pm

I am...60% approval rating for handeling of CV. Lots of fake news out there, and of couse the left is praying this destoys him, because all their other pathetic attempts have failed... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Are you defending China????
Trumps, handling of the virus will literally kill thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Americans....and you are approving.
In what way am I defending China? That is a ludicrous assertion. I did not even mention China.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post (total 2):
knotwindy (Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm) • revhed (Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Follow the money...then we will understand why this is going the way it is.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
knotwindy (Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 pm

So given the wide and quick early spread of this out of Wuhan, the infection rates must be much higher than stated. If we look at the most accurate death rate under the highest testing its 0.7%. Do some basic math on China's total dead 100/0.7x3281(china reported dead)= 468714 infected. China was known to be under reporting and not testing dead. So lets say the dead were under reported by 2 or 3 times. That gives 1 to 1.5million infected which to me explains the quick spread particular out side china. Which gives validity to the 0.7% death rate. A 0.7% death rate is bad but not nearly as bad as 3 to 4%. If you take 0.7% and you have good testing of dead, you can extrapolate your suspected cases and work out how many you have likely missed from the ones you tested. But given things are still expanding you would have to compensate for people not dead yet. I would add those in critical condition to the dead. So for America there would be at least about 3 times more infected as have been tested, or ~180000 people out there unknown and infected. To me that is a situation that is almost out of control. But China did seem to reign things in, and so did S.Korea and Taiwan. I think the enforcement of total mask use in public has helped in combination with isolation measures.

Although the West has ignored the Easts use of masks so far it would be wise not to I think.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 pm
So given the wide and quick early spread of this out of Wuhan, the infection rates must be much higher than stated. If we look at the most accurate death rate under the highest testing its 0.7%. Do some basic math on China's total dead 100/0.7x3281(china reported dead)= 468714 infected. China was known to be under reporting and not testing dead. So lets say the dead were under reported by 2 or 3 times. That gives 1 to 1.5million infected which to me explains the quick spread particular out side china. Which gives validity to the 0.7% death rate. A 0.7% death rate is bad but not nearly as bad as 3 to 4%. If you take 0.7% and you have good testing of dead, you can extrapolate your suspected cases and work out how many you have likely missed from the ones you tested. But given things are still expanding you would have to compensate for people not dead yet. I would add those in critical condition to the dead. So for America there would be at least about 3 times more infected as have been tested, or ~180000 people out there unknown and infected. To me that is a situation that is almost out of control. But China did seem to reign things in, and so did S.Korea and Taiwan. I think the enforcement of total mask use in public has helped in combination with isolation measures.

Although the West has ignored the Easts use of masks so far it would be wise not to I think.
Think again.

All the masks people are wearing do is catch expelled mucus when they sneeze or cough. They do not filter infectious droplets expelled through the mask by the wearer, neither do they filter out infectious droplets from outside the mask. Virtually noone wears medical grade masks which do filter air borne droplets.

The masks people are wearing have very little if no practical value other than the psychological. If anything they are likely to be counter productive because they imbue the wearer with a false sense of security.

Return to “Kitesurfing”