Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, J Shapes, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Introducing the new Naish Boxer

Postby riddim1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:17 am

Hate to state the obvious.... but why are you wasting your time reading and responding to a thread specifically about Naish kites if you feel so negatively about them?

Logic would suggest demo one .... and then comment.

It’s a ‘pants before shoes’ type of thing.
These users thanked the author riddim1 for the post:
magnusod (Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:42 am

Genuinely interested in how much naish has improved. They seem to have gone through some designers over the years. They seem to be let down by Robbie as leadership. The guys great but out of touch I think. I mean didn't Greg Drexler work for naish? Why is it the Cloud didn't come from naish then? Seems quite obvious to me. These companies are more interested in dressing up turkeys than making the best and interesting products. I mean look at the TE on this kite, all that wasted material, think of the environment.

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:38 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 am
Did naish start making good kites?
its very possible that they did... though I have no experience with the older models.
i own a couple of 2017/2018 naish boxers, great kites with unbelivable relaunch.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:27 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:42 am
Genuinely interested in how much naish has improved. They seem to have gone through some designers over the years. They seem to be let down by Robbie as leadership. The guys great but out of touch I think. I mean didn't Greg Drexler work for naish? Why is it the Cloud didn't come from naish then? Seems quite obvious to me. These companies are more interested in dressing up turkeys than making the best and interesting products. I mean look at the TE on this kite, all that wasted material, think of the environment.
As far as I can tell there have not been that many kite designers at Naish. I think 3 all in all...over 20 years that is not a lot.
Greg used to do awesome boards for Naish. The rest of what you are talking about is pretty much drivel. Your speculation falls flat as a turd dropped from the 30th floor.

Lelandjt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Style: Surf
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lelandjt » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Actually, I was surprised to just learn that the most revered designer in kiting created those "funny bird kites" (Naish Sigma series). Somehow that didn't end his career.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:03 am

It should have ended his career, but maybe it wasn't his call to throw the whole line up down a new road. That reeks of poor management, aka Robbie. I can't see what is to revere about that designer though, if he made bird kites and then I guess the park. Maybe there is a design that wasn't a turd? Boxer seems ok, but very me too and christmas tinsel all over. Why do people fall for the christmas tinsel? Is it just a segment of the market or does it really drive large sales volume? I guess given the general ability of kiters, kite performance falls far short of the need for "look at me I am flying a kite on the water", :lol: :lol: .

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:45 am

Great to see Naish continuing to make great kites. I have owned several over the years and been very happy with their performance. Their old sigma kites were very good in that era.. the Cult was a very successful and easy to ride kite. (My friends running a kite school preferred to teach with it over other models.) Naish has made a few mistakes like the year they used blue/yellow coloring on their bar. But most of their innovations like their octopus system were well done and worked well. There are new products and new ideas and new riders at Naish as they continue to try to keep fresh. Anyway my Boxer is a great kite. I'm looking forward to trying the new model.

:wink: CG

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Hey boxer users, or any single strut users, question for you... I see the ocean rodeo Flite 12m is 2.95kg and the boxer 12m is 3.1kg. If the kite actually weights more than some 3 strut kites why bother? Wouldn’t the 3 strut work better, Or is the 12m boxer actually a bit bigger than the Flite? Just in the market and was curious.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Kiterisland wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm
Hey boxer users, or any single strut users, question for you... I see the ocean rodeo Flite 12m is 2.95kg and the boxer 12m is 3.1kg. If the kite actually weights more than some 3 strut kites why bother? Wouldn’t the 3 strut work better, Or is the 12m boxer actually a bit bigger than the Flite? Just in the market and was curious.
There are also differences in how one struts fly just as there are differences in 3 struts.

There is just a really nice balanced flight character in the boxer. Really nice to fly. The biggest boxer I have flown is 9m. My biggest tube kite is a 9 but different brand. There are some one struts with lighter construction and some with heavier. In light wind shaving weight matters more and in a 12m kite I would definitely look for weight savings and aerodynamic efficiency.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 am
Did naish start making good kites? I always remember them being way too heavy with lots of graphics with heaps of things on the them that shouldn't be there. Last kite I tried like 5 years ago was the Park. What a piece of shit. How do you ride waves with it? It is always pulling or falling out of the air.

Then what about those funny bird kites... someone ended their career on that one certainly :lol: :lol:
I also had a bad experience with older Park and that kept me from Naish for a long time and it is a pity. Anything Naish I touch these days is pure gold. I tried a brand new Core XR that you proudly display and it is good but heavy like a brick.

Return to “Kitesurfing”