Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Skimboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
Trent hink
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Re: Skimboard?

Postby Trent hink » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm

A hard edge has less drag than a rounded one. It will be much faster, but also feel more slippery.

Water releases easily off a hard edge. A round edge creates drag as the water tries to wrap around it.

I don't like riding skimboards myself, but i have a great deal of respect for guys who are good at it.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:08 pm

pebbles wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm
I don't think there is a lite-wind lie. I have tested quite a few lite-wind TT's over the years back to back with my skimboards and can only remember the Glide as being better. Many have been as good or almost, but end up feeling like a boat. The skim is just another fun option for those willing to put the time in.

It's too bad I don't see anyone else on a skim-board.
That's what I used to think when I was at the beginning of my skimboard experience and still thought they were the way to go. And like you I did lots of back-to-back testing. Something about back-to-back testing that you really have to come to terms with, is that different boards need to be ridden differently, and even different thinset or no fins on a board need to be written differently also.

It also seems that there are many proponents on forums, with the idea that skimboards are good and sometimes even the best upwind option. But I have never found a single person who will tell me that to my face. And don't think I didn't want this to be true. I invested a lot of time and an extremely large amount of money in big high-grade skimboards. And I got pretty good with them to being able to do everything I could on a strapless a skimboard, even big waves with some skill, but they just never worked out as being better than other options out there

And that's why you don't see very many kite skimmers, wake skimmers, or a host of other boards. These Oddball boards may have their niche, but they simply don't function as capable and all around craft.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm
A hard edge has less drag than a rounded one. It will be much faster, but also feel more slippery.

Water releases easily off a hard edge. A round edge creates drag as the water tries to wrap around it.
There is much more going on then just that with hard versus round edges.

A sharp edge contacts the water at only one plane. Thus you have a single angle of pressure acting on the board. When edged hard, a board with a hard-edged will push sideways. When the board is flat a board with a hard edge will push upwards

Round edges add different planes of force on that edge all at the same time. So when you edge a round edged board really hard against the wind, it not only pushes sideways, but that round rail is also presenting a force upwards. This tends to produce a greater force that must be held down with weight over it, as opposed to only having to hold sideways against a sharp-edged board. When a soft edged board is flat, some sideways forces will still be produced (non productive). Thus with a round edge board, that edge must be managed against a few different directions of force.

This may seem contradictory in that a soft edged board is typically better in chop. But remember, soft Edge boards tend to lose a bit of effective width, and thus a hard edge board 40 cm wide is going to feel much wider and have capabilities of a much wider bored compared to a 40 cm wide soft railed board.

Trent hink
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Soft edge board feels better in chop because it has more drag. The drag gives a feeling of better control.

Sometimes drag is your friend. Just not in underpowered conditions where you need to be efficient

Kemperman
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Ocean rodeo razor 6th generation
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kemperman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:03 pm

A skimboard can be really fun. Bigger fins for stability and traction like a twintip. But I like to use 1cm fins. With the small fins it is really playful, but you need some rail control or the board will slip away.

Return to “Kitesurfing”