slingshot compstick sentinel vs guardian control bars

Forum for kitesurfers
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

slingshot compstick sentinel vs guardian control bars

Postby papasmerf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:57 pm

so i've been using the guardian style for years,,, it's the kind where you sheet in below the bar. it's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes but i like the way i can untwist the bar,,,, however, i am getting new bars and i see the sentinel is like the old version where the sheet in is up high with a cleat. really liked those but,,,, any pros and cons out there someone who has used them both recently? i'm a recreational kiter, 16 years experience. no sliders or unhooked stuff.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: slingshot compstick sentinel vs guardian control bars

Postby norcom » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Have both. Over ten years ago I couldn't understand why people even used the below the bar cleat systems but after getting used to one, it's now my favorite. Yes, the below the bar swivel is nice but my preference is still below the bar trim. If you really like the above bar trim, why not get it? Both are great bars and I haven't tried anything that beats the Slingshot quality at the sale price point.

What I really want is the Guardian QR similar to how Naish made one with the below the bar trim and swivel.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff

Postby papasmerf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 pm

thanks, every now and then, when i kinda overpowered, it's kinda hard to sheet it in,, but maybe i am a weakling now days.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:29 pm

The only advantage I personally find with the gaurdian below bar trim is when riding tandem haha, makes it easy to reach from behind the passenger. Maybe you get a little longer bar throw too which is nice but that may depend on arm length (I have long arms so can use it all)
Otherwise I prefer above bar trim and below bar swivel.

I have a couple slingshot guardian bars and some other brand bars with above bar trim. The quality of slingshot bars/lines/releases is higher, more durable everything.

One weird thing on the guardian system is that the bar can be pulled down directly on top of the QR and if it got stuck there somehow (with the stopper?) it could make it impossible to activate the release. On the sentinel there is the below bar swivel as a barrier leaving always the space needed to activate release.
On that note-
I find it annoying when tether launching with guardian bars and rope slider harness combination, because with anchor leash clipped around ropes above QR it is more difficult to reassemble the QR onto the harness because there is pressure from the kite pulling that wants to keep the release housing down. Its a non-issue if you never use a rope slider style spreader bar in combination with a tethered launch.

Long story short I personally would choose the sentinel if price was the same. That said I have no plans to trade out my guardian bars.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Run a small piece of Q line(or any kiteline) through the donkey dick attachment point and hook the tether into that. If you are using just the rope slider you can remove the donkey ‘stick’.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
Greenturtle (Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby papasmerf » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 am

it doesn't look like the seninel system has an sliding stopper,,, i've so gotten used to that on my older bars. does anyone know why they left of the sliding stopper

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:25 pm

The Sentinel Bar has no specific line stopper, but you can slide up or down the all "trim block" and having the same function as the sliding stopper.

I have both Sentinel and Guardian. The sentinel is maybe more user friendly. But I find the guardian more precise while adjusting the trim. Yes, you have to pull harder (push the bar and then trim).

I also noticed that most of Slingshot pro riders use the Guardian (Sam, Karolina, Youri at least). And when Kevin Langeree was riding Naish, he also usually used a below the trim bar. So when available for riders, some of them also prefer this system.

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:44 am

I had the gaurdian system for a couple years, it’s pretty bomb proof and simple with nice stopper. I did not like how hard it was to depower from full out position when overpowered it puts a weird angle on you elbow and stresses it
Converted the bars to sentinel system and much Prefer the pull to depower leverage and position, the floppy rope when you pull a lot of depower starts swinging around wrapping up your bar and that kind of sucks the Velcro solution does not work that well.

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Wolkster wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:44 am
I had the gaurdian system for a couple years, it’s pretty bomb proof and simple with nice stopper. I did not like how hard it was to depower from full out position when overpowered it puts a weird angle on you elbow and stresses it
Converted the bars to sentinel system and much Prefer the pull to depower leverage and position, the floppy rope when you pull a lot of depower starts swinging around wrapping up your bar and that kind of sucks the Velcro solution does not work that well.
Have both. Prefer sentinel for sure. I find it easier to depower and untwist lines on swivel right above the CL.
Have also swiched the depower rope on both and also easier with the sentinel.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:05 pm

I've only used the guardian,8 years so far. Great bar, lines etc. I don't have an issue "trimming " the kite. I'm not a constant adjuster ! Whatever I do is automatic ,I couldn't even describe my method. The above bar swivel works for about 11 minutes then you have to untwist by hand if you loop more one way than the other ,even with my long arms I have to reach up and pull it so I can grab with 2 hands, then its a race to untwist it as the kite drifts down ! Might be nice to have swivel like the sentinel has. Replaced the trim line last night and that's always an adventure, I forget all the little tricks and the sequence to getting everything back together. I'm also thinking of trying a sentinel, always on the look out for good deal on bars, they're way pricey new.

Return to “Kitesurfing”