Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Changing to RideEngine harness - pain on sides of pelvis

Postby espana2323 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 am

Hi all,

I have been using the Prolimit Predator 2018 harness (size L) for the last 2 years and I now got the Ride Engine 2019 carbon harness (size L). While using the Ride Engine harness for the first time yesterday I was experiencing pain on the sides of my pelvis. I was wearing a wetsuit and haven't kited for about 3 months (not much wind due to winter). Sizewise I believe that size L of Ride Engine and the 10" bar is correct for me since my measurement at the belly button (using wetsuit) is 94cm /37 inch and it matches the sizing chart from Ride Engine (https://www.rideengine.com/2019-Elite-C ... ed-Harness). I had also spoken to Ride Engine customer service before getting the harness and they advised me for that size harness and bar. Comparing my Prolimit Predator harness with my Ride Engine harness, the Ride Engine is narrower on the sides.

Did anyone else that change to a Ride Engine harness experience something similar? Does it take time to adjust to the hard shell and narrower sides of the Ride Engine harness? Any input from people that use Ride Engine harnesses would be great.

Thank you.

-Mike

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Re: Changing to RideEngine harness - pain on sides of pelvis

Postby gator1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Ride engine suits a certain back shape.

I got back pain from a Ride engine, and it dug into my back when jumping.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 pm

I guess fit is more important for the carbon ones. For whatever reason the Mystic Majestic both "normal" and hardshell fits me really well, but I can notice how the X (hardshell) will dig in at certain points in the side or back if it is either twisted a bit or if I am trying to repeat the same action over and over again. I never thought about that with the normal version.

Doesn't mean that the Mystic Majestic X will fit everybody.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Pain on the side of the pelvis could be something else. If the harness sits more firmly, and you are using a standard hook, then you might need more twisting effort to ride toeside than you did before. Fighting against this can stress the muscles in the outer hip. Just a thought.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:14 pm

What's your height? Maybe the large is too big for your back and the medium with the 12'' bar would be better?

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:53 pm

merl wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:58 pm
Pain on the side of the pelvis could be something else. If the harness sits more firmly, and you are using a standard hook, then you might need more twisting effort to ride toeside than you did before. Fighting against this can stress the muscles in the outer hip. Just a thought.
I am having this pain when I am riding normally, not toeside.

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Exal wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:14 pm
What's your height? Maybe the large is too big for your back and the medium with the 12'' bar would be better?
My height is 181cm / 5’ 11” and I weigh 76kg / 167lbs. Before buying I also tried the M and it was definitely too small. The velcro in the front would barely close. I am fairly confident the size is right.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:32 pm

espana2323 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm
My height is 181cm / 5’ 11” and I weigh 76kg / 167lbs. Before buying I also tried the M and it was definitely too small. The velcro in the front would barely close. I am fairly confident the size is right.
That is weird. I am 186cm and currently 87kg and the medium fits me nicely. I have the 2019 prime.

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Exal wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:32 pm
espana2323 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm
That is weird. I am 186cm and currently 87kg and the medium fits me nicely. I have the 2019 prime.
That’s very strange.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:52 pm

I have the 2017-18 Ride Engine, with the single strap. Friends have the newer version, I suspect the tightening works better.

I normally fit medium, but found the RE rode up too much, couldn't tighten it enough. So I use a small and I cinch it down tight as it can go. In normal wind range, it feels nice and solid. But if at all overpowered, it rides up. And once up, it can cause pain in pelvis (pushing against bone) and in ribs.

I am unsure if this is body type or what. The posts on this seem about split between people who say they have never had any issue and others who say RE didn't work for them.

I've only used one other harness, Ocean Rodeo Session 2, which I'd describe a semi-waist harness -- it has tie down straps that keep harness from riding up. I think it doesn't fit quite as snug in the back though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”