Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

covid 19 closing beaches, any more to report?

Forum for kitesurfers
pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: covid 19 closing beaches, any more to report?

Postby pj sofine » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:50 pm

No beach restrictions yet. Its still late winter and not an issue. If they do close the public beaches we have private waterfront properties we could kite from. Only a couple of us so we can keep our "social distancing " .No more high 5's while kiting past one another ! And getting a launch is not an issue.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:53 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:55 am
Foil wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am
bragnouff wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 am
Not too sure of the reason in Fuerte, I assume they follow Spain's guidance. I've seen official recommendations from various sports governing bodies in France (FFVL for kiting) asking to avoid any unnecessary activity that could result in an injury. The idea being that the hospital beds are, or are about to be in short supply, and the hospital staff being stretched out would rather not have to deal with accidents that could have been avoided through abstinence. In case of accident it could mean you're not treated correctly because of the overload, or you're treated, but someone else isn't.
That's a debatable reason, but my experience over the last 20 years of kiting has shown that you might really think that you'll take it easy, play it safe, and enjoy kiting with all those good intentions, but the most serious accidents still happen in the most stupid cases, and not really in extreme challenging conditions where you'd expect them. Shit happens, that's a fact.
great point made and understood.
however when a blanket ban happens and it makes no sense at that place and time, ie remote island locations without anyone in hospital at that time needing a bed or treatment then the ban may well be ignored and then we have a bigger problem and local confusion, and trust wavers in the decisions made for that region, many regions do need the strict rules and the population then see its a valid reason to take decisions that restrict movement.
Bragnouff is right. That is exactly what is happening. They want to make sure that all Hospital Beds are free in case they are needed for Covid19 patients. Another thing is that insurance for any sports are suspended in "state of emergency" so you are not insured if something happens to you. Also your car insurance company will not pay out in this time of you have a accident and cannot prove that you where supposed to be on the road. All people working need a special form filled out from your employer if you want to be driving your private car at the moment. So a trip to the beach can also land you a hefty fine. The police are really cracking down hard on anyone breaking the rules at the moment. Yesterday an Italian guys tried to be funny and film a video of riding a bike down the high street and trying to run from the police (Jackass style) . The chased him down and arrested him on the spot.

On Sunday they pulled everyone off the water, took their pictures and handed out warnings that if they were caught on the water again they would be fined or jailed.

I know it it really hard for most of us locals here, mainly because now we have some amazing wind, but everyone needs to calm down and follow the rules. To be honest getting on the water is the least of my concerns, me and the rest of the locals are more worried about how our businesses will survive this crisis. The Government is predicting at least a 3 month "Zero Tourism" period this year. Most hotels have started laying off their staff and are closing down. The virus itself may not do much damage here, but the financial fallout might kill most businesses on the island.

On the other hand, there may be a good side to the whole thing. The local government might be so desperate for any type of tourism, that they might overlook the damaging behaviour from visiting Kiters in the last years. This might make them think twice about banning kiting outright which has been on the cards again recently.

--
Gunnar
G, keep safe & best wishes.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:39 pm

I just heard that Hatteras is closed to visitors. They don't want sick visitors coming out to vacation there. Check the county website https://www.darenc.com/

Peter

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:39 pm
I just heard that Hatteras is closed to visitors. They don't want sick visitors coming out to vacation there. Check the county website https://www.darenc.com/

Peter
Yes, but it's actually all of Dare County that has been closed to visitors and tourists. That includes not only Hatteras Island, but also Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Manteo, etc. There are currently no Covid-19 cases in Dare County, and I guess they'd like to keep it that way.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Has thanked: 0

Postby flysurfing » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 am
Spain has started emergency plans .

This includes no one is allowed to access the beaches.
Canaries belong to Spain.

BTW...influenza killed 25.000 people in 2017/2018...and Life kept normal.
seems like some of us don’t quiet understand the seriousness of the situation.

Influenza do kill people but doesn't destroy the respiratory system of people in their 50... Also your comparing the common flue with the beginning of a pandemic related to an unknown virus with mutation potential. Would this coronavirus become seasonal you will end up with millions of death yearly and a total saturation of our Health Care system. Let’s be serious and reasonable pls.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:19 am
I have read that any kind of water sports is prohibited in Belgium from March 12, also at open sea ..

That makes absolutely no sense :o

I can understand beaches where people are together can be closed, but watersports where you are NOT in contact nor near each other in any way?

Think it is only to make it easier to understand, they dont differentiate :wink:

8) Peter

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm

It is banned in Belgium. I got an e-mail from the federation to clarify a decision which was subject to interpretation.

They don't give any specific reason but in Belgium you are only allowed to kite in front of a club (and be a member with insurance etc etc).
And clubs are closed so that people don't come together.
So this makes sence.

kiteykitekite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 pm

You may have missed these posts Peter. Frankly though it is a Human Rights issue. If given the extra risk at a time like this you want to kite or do other risky things that is your choice and not some governments. If medical systems can't make choices between sprained ankles and people suffocating, what can be said? except the system deserves to burn down.
gmb13 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:55 am
Foil wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am
bragnouff wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 am
Not too sure of the reason in Fuerte, I assume they follow Spain's guidance. I've seen official recommendations from various sports governing bodies in France (FFVL for kiting) asking to avoid any unnecessary activity that could result in an injury. The idea being that the hospital beds are, or are about to be in short supply, and the hospital staff being stretched out would rather not have to deal with accidents that could have been avoided through abstinence. In case of accident it could mean you're not treated correctly because of the overload, or you're treated, but someone else isn't.
That's a debatable reason, but my experience over the last 20 years of kiting has shown that you might really think that you'll take it easy, play it safe, and enjoy kiting with all those good intentions, but the most serious accidents still happen in the most stupid cases, and not really in extreme challenging conditions where you'd expect them. Shit happens, that's a fact.
great point made and understood.
however when a blanket ban happens and it makes no sense at that place and time, ie remote island locations without anyone in hospital at that time needing a bed or treatment then the ban may well be ignored and then we have a bigger problem and local confusion, and trust wavers in the decisions made for that region, many regions do need the strict rules and the population then see its a valid reason to take decisions that restrict movement.
Bragnouff is right. That is exactly what is happening. They want to make sure that all Hospital Beds are free in case they are needed for Covid19 patients. Another thing is that insurance for any sports are suspended in "state of emergency" so you are not insured if something happens to you. Also your car insurance company will not pay out in this time of you have a accident and cannot prove that you where supposed to be on the road. All people working need a special form filled out from your employer if you want to be driving your private car at the moment. So a trip to the beach can also land you a hefty fine. The police are really cracking down hard on anyone breaking the rules at the moment. Yesterday an Italian guys tried to be funny and film a video of riding a bike down the high street and trying to run from the police (Jackass style) . The chased him down and arrested him on the spot.

On Sunday they pulled everyone off the water, took their pictures and handed out warnings that if they were caught on the water again they would be fined or jailed.

I know it it really hard for most of us locals here, mainly because now we have some amazing wind, but everyone needs to calm down and follow the rules. To be honest getting on the water is the least of my concerns, me and the rest of the locals are more worried about how our businesses will survive this crisis. The Government is predicting at least a 3 month "Zero Tourism" period this year. Most hotels have started laying off their staff and are closing down. The virus itself may not do much damage here, but the financial fallout might kill most businesses on the island.

On the other hand, there may be a good side to the whole thing. The local government might be so desperate for any type of tourism, that they might overlook the damaging behaviour from visiting Kiters in the last years. This might make them think twice about banning kiting outright which has been on the cards again recently.

--
Gunnar

dice
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Frankieboy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm
It is banned in Belgium. I got an e-mail from the federation to clarify a decision which was subject to interpretation.

They don't give any specific reason but in Belgium you are only allowed to kite in front of a club (and be a member with insurance etc etc).
And clubs are closed so that people don't come together.
So this makes sence.
There are 2 reasons. The availability of the rescue teams. And keeping the injuries as low as possible, because an injured kiter might use a hospital room that could've been used for a corona patient.
It's a bit too hard measurement for something so little, but desperate times, desperate measurements I guess.

The beach clubs were closed a couple days before the watersports ban.
These users thanked the author dice for the post:
ELI (Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:22 am)
Rating: 10%

madworld
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 pm

North Carolina’s Outer Banks will begin restricting tourists and visitors in an effort to reduce travel and limit permanent residents’ exposure to the coronavirus, officials in Dare County announced Tuesday.

Return to “Kitesurfing”