Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boosting Kite that Wave Rides

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Boosting Kite that Wave Rides

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:36 pm

I never owned better onshore sandbar crap kite than a Pivot. Drift is overrated, what you need is tight turns with some power and a powered climb. That's why I own 6 and 8 sizes. I could use drift for foiling but I am getting around it too and who knows what I am going to say when I get a hang of it but it reverse launches in light wind like I never seen before.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:55 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 am
Maybe take a look at Blade Triggers. They have a wave setting and also boost.
Out of interest have you tried them on waves? I had one that I enjoyed riding with on a twin tip and it boosted fairly well but it didn't drift as well as I expected (at least on a hydrofoil). The wave setting seemed to change how easily the kite hunted the edge of the window rather than how much it drifted as far as I could tell. I preferred freeride settings on my hydrofoil but it was too heavy for that really. That was the Gen 9 model. Maybe they are different now.

Pol Kiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pol Kiter » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 am

What about the new North Reach?

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:54 am

Pol Kiter wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 am
What about the new North Reach?
Yes maybe? viewtopic.php?t=2406002&p=1091895

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Anyone been on a Reedin Spermodel yet? Would be interested to hear how they compare to an Orbit, especially in waves.

luca
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby luca » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:29 pm

North Reach is a really good compromise.
North Carve seems a bit better in drift and depower, but the Carve boosts really good too.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:16 pm

Eduardo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 am

. The only time you might wish to have a true dedicated wave kite is side/side off with powerful enough waves that you can/want to park the kite and forget that you have a kite and surf the wave.
This is an important point and is my experience as well. Any kind of slight offshore wind and especially side shore down the line wave riding you want a wave kite. Kites that jump or go upwind well dont have enough depower or drift to let you ride the wave. You will not be able to move inside or will be dragged over the top of the wave. I would fully depower my wave kite at OneEye once the wave was made. Then full power trim on the way back out. I am not really sure you can have your cake and eat it...

I tried to use a 7m Cab Switchblade recently in Capetown, i usually ride the Reo. Side Shore 20mph wind, trying to go down the line with the wind...... It just sucks. You spend so much time flying the kite so it doesn’t fall out of the sky. Having to loop it more than is acceptable just to make a section.... and they don't steer with slack lines. It’s an exercise in kite flying not wave riding. I want to ride the section where the wave is best not where my kite will let me.

The Ozone Enduro claims to be able to do both but i haven't tried it yet. I am going to pick one up to see.

My honest advice if you are serious about wave riding, is just buy wave kites. They are so superior at wave riding its incomparable. And we all want to progress and wave kites will enable wave riding progression. Then just get a 9m high aspect kite for boosting. Or convince your kite buddies to buy jumping kites and just borrow them.😬

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Daversj wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:16 pm
Eduardo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 am

. The only time you might wish to have a true dedicated wave kite is side/side off with powerful enough waves that you can/want to park the kite and forget that you have a kite and surf the wave.
This is an important point and is my experience as well. Any kind of slight offshore wind and especially side shore down the line wave riding you want a wave kite. Kites that jump or go upwind well dont have enough depower or drift to let you ride the wave. You will not be able to move inside or will be dragged over the top of the wave. I would fully depower my wave kite at OneEye once the wave was made. Then full power trim on the way back out. I am not really sure you can have your cake and eat it...

I tried to use a 7m Cab Switchblade recently in Capetown, i usually ride the Reo. Side Shore 20mph wind, trying to go down the line with the wind...... It just sucks. You spend so much time flying the kite so it doesn’t fall out of the sky. Having to loop it more than is acceptable just to make a section.... and they don't steer with slack lines. It’s an exercise in kite flying not wave riding. I want to ride the section where the wave is best not where my kite will let me.

The Ozone Enduro claims to be able to do both but i haven't tried it yet. I am going to pick one up to see.

My honest advice if you are serious about wave riding, is just buy wave kites. They are so superior at wave riding its incomparable. And we all want to progress and wave kites will enable wave riding progression. Then just get a 9m high aspect kite for boosting. Or convince your kite buddies to buy jumping kites and just borrow them.😬
Interesting points regarding One Eye - I was hoping that you could just park a kite like the orbit or supermodel & ride on the depowered kite - last yr I was on a Naish Park and that was fine and easily got back upwind to the line up point. How was the Reo on picking up the swell, as I was surprised how fast the swell/waves are moving.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Ozone Enduro V2's come with 3 settings in the centre of the kite which change the geometry:

Freeride - middle knot (factory setting)

Wave - upper knot, less bar pressure, faster turning

Freestyle - lower knot, more bar pressure, slower turning

(I have 6/8/10/12, my favourite is the 8m)

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:48 pm

You CAN use any kite on a wave but some will make it much easier and let you do things not possible on a boosting kite.
The Park has fat wing tips like a wave kite so probably drifts well and freestyle kites sit further back in window like a wave kite. A Pivot or an Evo will work good but they limit you.
Wave kites have short bar throw so going from slack outside lines to a steering input is quick and instant. A depowered Orbit with slack lines, then try to steer it......probably not much will happen for a while, you’ll be reaching for the leader. That situation would suck with a big wave behind you. The ability to loop or down loop without getting a huge yank is huge.
Shoot down the face of a wave toward the Orbit and it will Hindenburg. With a wave kite you have time to make a turn, tighten up the lines and keep going... wave kites will just hang and slowly fall without tipping over. It just frees up more options in how you want to surf the wave.
Instant relaunch between waves can save your bacon also. A kite that will reverse launch, then let go of one line, and the kite is over your head before the next wave gets you. If you have to wait for a face down kite to move to the edge of the window to relaunch, not ideal for waves.

OneEye is a strange beast. Not an expert on the wave but is seems really fast and i missed a few that just rolled under me and I couldn’t make the drop. That's usually when the wind direction is more offshore. As you are coming in you have to be carful not to fall off down wind. If you do fall off a little you are actually positioning to an earlier phase of the wave by how the reef bends. So as you fall off you are essentially going out further... On those very off shore days it can be impossible to pull off the wave to the inside, you have to go over the top or through it. So if that section is going to close, get off. Not a great feeling if its big and you are inside of it😬. Ask me how i know. Never had a problem getting back to the line on the Reo at OneEye and they don't go upwind well. Only maybe 2 tacks to get back to channel.

When you go from riding wave kites to all around kites on waves, you realize the massive difference. You just cant do things your accustomed to doing normally. Its very frustrating. Making the opposite transition you don't notice the difference as much because you haven’t yet realized the wave kites capabilities. Except for hang time. Wave kites jump ok but you come down fast. And we are back to your and my conundrum.

If you are only riding typical shitty waves then all around kites make sense. But if you’re spending money to travel to wave spots then use wave kites to get the most out of it. Even just 2 wave kites would do it. 7,9 or 8,10. When wind is stronger than that wave riding in most places isn't great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”