Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Fixing crossed lines while at sea

Postby espana2323 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 am

Hi,

When trying new things while kitesurfing I sometimes get myself in the situation that due to slack lines while the kite is in the water, the kite does a flip and the lines cross symmetrically (inner lines with outer lines). I always end up relaunching, kiting out, landing the kite and fixing the lines. Is there a safe and easy way of fixing the lines while at sea?

Thanks.

-Mike

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Re: Fixing crossed lines while at sea

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 am

espana2323 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 am
Hi,

When trying new things while kitesurfing I sometimes get myself in the situation that due to slack lines while the kite is in the water, the kite does a flip and the lines cross symmetrically (inner lines with outer lines). I always end up relaunching, kiting out, landing the kite and fixing the lines. Is there a safe and easy way of fixing the lines while at sea?

Thanks.

-Mike
Hi Espana,

I managed to do it a couple of times. Not in strong winds, more demanding in deep water. But once you know for sure the direction you must throw the bar through the front lines - low V is essential - it is possible. It is never really safe because you have to disconnect completely and hold the front lines just with just your fingers. Then pull until you can reach the V and pass the bar through it. As the back lines are always slack, the forces should be low. If you accidently loose grip on the front lines, it might become dangerous.

Tom

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 am

espana2323 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 am
Hi,

Thanks.

-Mike
this used to happen years ago with the older hard to relaunch C kites, which were bad at flipping back and rolling through backwards to cause this crossed line thing,
I did come up with a quick fix device which did work at the time,
I fixed on to the lower part of the leader lines a quick release C type line connection(englefield clip) of the stainless steel type available from watercraft shops and used on many dinghys or yachts on the jib,
worked well if a little fiddly,
basically two near closed C shaped clasps which slide apart when twisted to 90deg
in light winds and flat seas I could use this to undo the leaders one at a time pass the line through the low V and reattach, at other times I came ashore and quickly did the same on the sand

like this
https://www.sailboats.co.uk/ronstan-eng ... less-steel

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am

I’ve done it by disconnecting from bar in light wind with kite at edge of window.

Could you swim or do a front or backflip through the front lines while holding them apart with your hands? and that way not have to unhook? Probably too dangerous to wrap lines around your body...

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Maybe this video helps

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Here is a video of it in real world conditions

Note that these clam or beach condition videos often have the bar pulled in to full power but as you can see in the above video when you do that like I accidentally did when passing it through you go for a ride. Also keep in mind it's harder to get it right with the dangling chicken loop.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm

dude just dont do it on the water!

You can ride for 30 minutes or more without any damage to the lines, everything works fine. Just come in land the kite and fix it on land.

If you do this out at sea at some point you are unleashed holding onto the control bar with one hand the other hand grabbing the center lines, if anything happens, you lose your grip, a wave hits you anything happens that kite is gone. Just come in and fix it.

It's no fun swimming as fast as you can trying to catch your kite because you lost your grip on the control bar while trying to fix a line inversion. Don't ask me how I know this.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm
dude just dont do it on the water!

It's no fun swimming as fast as you can trying to catch your kite because you lost your grip on the control bar while trying to fix a line inversion.
My approach, as you can see in the video, is to ride in to shallow water 50m from shore and do it there. Side shore wind with no water users downwind of me. If I drop the kite I can wade in to shore and then walk down the beach and collect my kite, swimming after things is often a fools errand and can get you in a situation where you've output too much energy and get in trouble.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 pm

If you’re that close, just go in. Safer, almost as fast. If you are way outside in light wind I suppose you could do it but really just ride back in and fix it onshore where it safer and easier.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:45 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 pm

My approach, as you can see in the video, is to ride in to shallow water 50m from shore and do it there. Side shore wind with no water users downwind of me. If I drop the kite I can wade in to shore and then walk down the beach and collect my kite, swimming after things is often a fools errand and can get you in a situation where you've output too much energy and get in trouble.
Your method is fine and you should keep on doing it, but when you give advice to others, tell them to come in. They don't understand that the kite can get away.

Return to “Kitesurfing”