Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Question to kite experts: pimping old kites

Postby edt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm
I got 2020 Pivots 6,8,10 and Boxer 11. But I was wondering about those Enduros. I don't unhook so it was the right call I guess.
pivot is more fun at everything except for unhooking
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
marlboroughman (Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyingseb » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:04 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 pm

The only other mod I would try on older C kites is what *Matt Pendle did back in the day with Globerider kites. He ran a short line between two front line attachment points. just a simple loop of pigtail gauge line from front to rear front line attachments (they are only a few cm apart and not all kites have them). Just enough to make a short 10 cm deep V bridle. Then you run an SS ring with pigtail on the V. It extended the pivot point and gave it a little range on the line to better depower his C kites. Doesn't exactly make it into a Naish Pivot, but his C kites were the bomb and his thinking was sound. His ideas were often copied. Remember you will need to extend the rear line pigtails on the kite to match the fronts.

Matt Pendle is an unrecognized pioneer in our sport. Yet another Fenchman we owe thanks! He started at the beginning with WIPIKA. His legendary airblast was the first amazing C kite. Tricky to fly like everything else back then, but those things were the DNA behind all the first big boosters. His "KPO" or kite power optimizer bridle outlined above was the first of its kind on an LEI. He figured out bridles on LEIs early. The Globerider SONIC was the first really good bridled kite. So good it was copied pretty much panel for panel and named the Waroo. Remember the 9m Waroo? It owes everything to the SONIC.

Bottom line, If your old C kites have more than one option for the front line attachment (which many did) you have the option of a tiny V bridle for each front line that will give the kite a little better upwind and better gust handling. They will still be slow, underpowered, and heavy by todays standards.

KPO.jpg
Thank you Jumptheshark, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
That and the fifth line adjustment, will help me to fiddle about.

You are right about Matt Pendle, he did a lot for our sport. I remember seeing him in videos, doing double backloops at a time I didn’t even knew we could jump properly. The Wipika Airblast was a blast, with which a complete array of new figures was invented.

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 pm

not sure,but these globeriders,using the kpo were more like first gen hybrid shapes,with the tips angled less than 90 degrees ,as a typical c kite.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 am

Still have my 16m Airblast (12.8) & 11m (8.4 projected I think). I've often wondered about taking one of them out for a spin. I still remember my first ride on the 16m Airblast. It was like: holy shit that's how you do it! All of a sudden I could go upwind effortlessly ... a lot of effort compared to modern kites, but still it was a total game-changer at the time.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:36 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 am
Still have my 16m Airblast (12.8) & 11m (8.4 projected I think). I've often wondered about taking one of them out for a spin. I still remember my first ride on the 16m Airblast. It was like: holy shit that's how you do it! All of a sudden I could go upwind effortlessly ... a lot of effort compared to modern kites, but still it was a total game-changer at the time.
Are they still in flying condition? Not too much delamination on the leading edge? Bladders airproof? Time to inflate them in the garden (and share the pictures ;-) )

Maybe using old kites will be like driving old cars. Some have such personality and performance, that even without powersteering or powerbraking, they are a pleasure to drive. Given that old kite/car doesn't mean off course good kite/good car. Only a few can pretend to that!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Flyingseb wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:36 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 am
Are they still in flying condition? Not too much delamination on the leading edge? Bladders airproof? Time to inflate them in the garden (and share the pictures ;-) )

Maybe using old kites will be like driving old cars. Some have such personality and performance, that even without powersteering or powerbraking, they are a pleasure to drive. Given that old kite/car doesn't mean off course good kite/good car. Only a few can pretend to that!
You realize it's a lot of work to pump up a multi-strut, non one-pump 16m, right? And I'm not as young as I was in 2001! Might give it a go in the summer ... assuming I survive til then. :-?

As far as I remember there are no issues with delimitation or leaking. My 16m is a 2002 model, I also had a 2001 which has the delamination issue.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster

Postby Flyingseb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 pm

Ok, that’s understandable
Anyway, if you change your mind, and got time and vista, I would be glad to see how are looking your Airblast!
And yes, one pump system is so much better. My Rhino 4 (from 2004) kites do have seven struts...

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 am

Lol... I was going through the back of my shed & found my Naish X10... v tempted to give it a go once we're out of lock down!!!

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster

Postby Flyingseb » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am

TheRussian wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 am
Lol... I was going through the back of my shed & found my Naish X10... v tempted to give it a go once we're out of lock down!!!
That’s a nice piece of history :D
Hope you’re not old, so that you’re not afraid in inflating it, considering it has got like 10 struts!
Never seen one for real, I’m not sure they were up to the expectation

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Flyingseb wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am
TheRussian wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 am
That’s a nice piece of history :D
Hope you’re not old, so that you’re not afraid in inflating it, considering it has got like 10 struts!
Never seen one for real, I’m not sure they were up to the expectation
LOL... yep will definitely give it a go,,for the time, when fully powered they were hangtime beasts (when we're allowed out - I tried to argue with my wife that kitesurfing = x1 exercise session per day ?!)

that silvery canopy looks v nice,,,hope our cat has scared the mice out of the shed & off it!

For the ultimate retro boosting experience I will use it with my Flash 4'10 !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”