Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am
Thank you for explaining it then :D

First a kiter has to be in need for rescue (rarely happens). Then the kiter has to be infected and not sick (if he/she was sick he/she wouldn't kite). Then you got to pass it on - which doesn't just automatically happen just because you end up rescuing someone.

Of course that could happen, but should we say it would happen once every hour? Or once every 10 years? My guess it would be closer to the latter. If so it wouldn't justify any bans by itself.
First off, if you actually have it and become injured, it's not just rescue personnel that you were putting in danger of contracting it from you. It's the entire chain from this rescue personnel to police called to the scene to the firefighters called to the scene to the ambulance transport crew to the nurses at the hospital to the doctor at the hospital to the administration staff at the hospital.

Second, any of the above personnel can also give it to you.

So go through that list above again and ask yourself if you want to take that chance. Now go to all of those people, actually you'll have to call them oh, and ask them if they would like you to come through their system and have contact with them.

I don't think I can make that more clear. So if someone still misunderstands this, hopefully there is someone who can put it in simpler terms than me, and set them straight.

Havre
Frequent Poster
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm

mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am
Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am
mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am


I think that your life is so far more important than your hobby.......
So you should wear a helmet going to the bathroom then?

Taking it to the absolute means any activity should be stopped.
So....Is kitesurfing an extreme sport only when you take some good selfies to post in your instagram???
I am not on instagram.

From all the hours I have spent on beaches kiting I have seen one injury that required medical help (I have seen twisted ankles etc. as well, but that is just another way to self quarantine on the coach for a couple of weeks). Obviously it happens, but if you are going to restrict these things based on a 0.00000001% probability then I would argue you are overreacting.

Havre
Frequent Poster
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:01 pm
Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am
Thank you for explaining it then :D

First a kiter has to be in need for rescue (rarely happens). Then the kiter has to be infected and not sick (if he/she was sick he/she wouldn't kite). Then you got to pass it on - which doesn't just automatically happen just because you end up rescuing someone.

Of course that could happen, but should we say it would happen once every hour? Or once every 10 years? My guess it would be closer to the latter. If so it wouldn't justify any bans by itself.
First off, if you actually have it and become injured, it's not just rescue personnel that you were putting in danger of contracting it from you. It's the entire chain from this rescue personnel to police called to the scene to the firefighters called to the scene to the ambulance transport crew to the nurses at the hospital to the doctor at the hospital to the administration staff at the hospital.

Second, any of the above personnel can also give it to you.

So go through that list above again and ask yourself if you want to take that chance. Now go to all of those people, actually you'll have to call them oh, and ask them if they would like you to come through their system and have contact with them.

I don't think I can make that more clear. So if someone still misunderstands this, hopefully there is someone who can put it in simpler terms than me, and set them straight.
I'm not sure if anyone misunderstands you position. It is just in my opinion a complete overreaction - like wearing a helmet going to the bathroom (obviously a silly comparison, but still valid).

mattii
Rare Poster
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:27 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Eleveight fs
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby mattii » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm
mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am
Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am


So you should wear a helmet going to the bathroom then?

Taking it to the absolute means any activity should be stopped.
So....Is kitesurfing an extreme sport only when you take some good selfies to post in your instagram???
I am not on instagram.

From all the hours I have spent on beaches kiting I have seen one injury that required medical help (I have seen twisted ankles etc. as well, but that is just another way to self quarantine on the coach for a couple of weeks). Obviously it happens, but if you are going to restrict these things based on a 0.00000001% probability then I would argue you are overreacting.

I understand your position, I'm not saying you're wrong or you're right, I have another point of view ..... in Italy we have almost 800 deaths every day, and talking about "overreaction" in front of 800 deaths, it seems absurd to me ... ..I agree with you that there are more dangerous activities than kitesurfing but
I think that staying as asked, can easily avoid some situations that must need help.....then if you slip in bathroom without an helmet I think that this episode can be included in the "bad luck" list..... sorry for bad english, hope you understand what I try to say

Havre
Frequent Poster
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm

mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 pm
Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm
mattii wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am


So....Is kitesurfing an extreme sport only when you take some good selfies to post in your instagram???
I am not on instagram.

From all the hours I have spent on beaches kiting I have seen one injury that required medical help (I have seen twisted ankles etc. as well, but that is just another way to self quarantine on the coach for a couple of weeks). Obviously it happens, but if you are going to restrict these things based on a 0.00000001% probability then I would argue you are overreacting.

I understand your position, I'm not saying you're wrong or you're right, I have another point of view ..... in Italy we have almost 800 deaths every day, and talking about "overreaction" in front of 800 deaths, it seems absurd to me ... ..I agree with you that there are more dangerous activities than kitesurfing but
I think that staying as asked, can easily avoid some situations that must need help.....then if you slip in bathroom without an helmet I think that this episode can be included in the "bad luck" list..... sorry for bad english, hope you understand what I try to say
I absolutely respect the desperate situation in Italy - even if I believe these kind of things are often dealt with emotionally rather than scientifically. I have argued that due to simplicity it might make sense to just ban things in general even if it wouldn't matter much on the actual number of people getting infected or the strain on hospitals etc.

In Norway things are for the moment under reasonable control. Here I see no reason to ban activities like kiting, cycling etc. - not because of risk of more people getting infected or the risk of overloading hospitals. That could change of course.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby knotwindy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Most experienced kiters know that you should be ready to self rescue because you shouldn’t count on others to be around or able to help. This is called accepting responsibility for ones own actions. And potentially be willing to pay the price.
If you extend this mindset/attitude to rescue, you can decline whatever help shows up to keep you/them safe. Crazy idea I know, excepting responsibility for your decisions. Is this still a problem for ‘the system’?
In theory is it still a problem if you don’t burden & overload?
I’m not saying you should go out because others who don’t get this might copy you and cause problems but is this your responsibility also? Something to think about with downtime?

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:17 pm
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Soul 21, Soul 12, Soul 8, Trigger 9, Nobile Zen Foil, Gong Allvator 65M, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm

To avoid rescue is an important argument, because the rescue guys must rescue, they don't have any choice. Then it is quite understandable if they want to reduce the risks as much as possible. But you can, even in the winter here, kite with practically zero chance of a needing rescue, if you stay close to the beach, only on shore winds and so on.

The risk of injuries is not an argument I think, at least at the moment where the hospitals are far from being overcrowded in Switzerland. A ban would really be an overreaction, unproportioned, as hysterical as buying toilet paper. Personally, the risk of getting injured was clearly higher at home for me, when I was drilling a hole in my DIY bar and cut into my finger :angryfire:

Pemba
Frequent Poster
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 am
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Pemba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:05 pm

I also think that some things might be going a bit too far. But once there are other people involved it's a different story, you can't or shouldn't make decisions for them.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:28 am
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby mike dubs » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm

It’s not just the rescue issue, it’s the message it sends to others, seemingly it’s ok to be out and back to normal!

It’s not. I teach martial arts 3x a week, 2xsup per week plus kiting when windy plus brand new wingfoil gear I haven’t used/ done, all because I’m isolating at home as instructed for the good of others as well as my family.

Just do as you’ve been instructed for 3/4 weeks and once they’ve flattened the curve and got mass testing underway, we will be able to get back to normal.

You can pick it up on ur shoes, off paper, hard surfaces etc don’t just think about old people, think about all the first responders and health care staff catching it. Just think, you stop for petrol on ur way, you’ve got the virus but are asymptomatic, the next person that touches the door or card machine after u picks it up, they get ill and or give it to others, who then give it to health care staff Just because you wanted to go kiting. Guess what? We all do BUT it’s not about you it’s about the others you inadvertently affect. Do the right thing don’t be selfish. Mike

User avatar
K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby K-Roy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

mike dubs wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm
It’s not just the rescue issue, it’s the message it sends to others, seemingly it’s ok to be out and back to normal!

It’s not. I teach martial arts 3x a week, 2xsup per week plus kiting when windy plus brand new wingfoil gear I haven’t used/ done, all because I’m isolating at home as instructed for the good of others as well as my family.

Just do as you’ve been instructed for 3/4 weeks and once they’ve flattened the curve and got mass testing underway, we will be able to get back to normal.

You can pick it up on ur shoes, off paper, hard surfaces etc don’t just think about old people, think about all the first responders and health care staff catching it. Just think, you stop for petrol on ur way, you’ve got the virus but are asymptomatic, the next person that touches the door or card machine after u picks it up, they get ill and or give it to others, who then give it to health care staff Just because you wanted to go kiting. Guess what? We all do BUT it’s not about you it’s about the others you inadvertently affect. Do the right thing don’t be selfish. Mike
well said!
:thumb:


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adventure Logs, Bing [Bot], Havre, Mike101, Seavel Knievel, teftelja and 28 guests