Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby North_Wind » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:54 pm

In the UK you are allowed out for 1 type/session of exercise per day.
However, there is no non-essential travel allowed ... so no driving to the beach.
I live on a beach but most people have decided not to kite the thinking being there is little/no spare capacity in the hospitals and we don't want to be "that person" who, after a kitemare, is asking for a hospital bed or ventilator when there are more pressing needs for them.
So we walk on the beach and dream of kiting when this is over.

James / BA
Cape Town Kite Club

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:50 am

already rank people by how much they contribute to GDP, it's called money
Poor people govt/liberal thinking exemplified.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:57 am

I want ask how, but I am not sure exactly you are trying to communicate?

Do you think the belief that money and GDP are related is mainly held by the poor, government and liberal?

If that is so then I will ask how? or how so? explain it more.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 am

It is sad to see beaches close. It is government over-reach if you ask me. And no, I don’t think that over stressing rescuers is a valid argument. How many people are rescued kiting each year??? It has to be a tiny number. I can’t think of one rescue where I live in over 20 years.

People are still going to the store and the gas station and the bank. If you keep your distance, what is the harm in kiting? Police are so quick to shut down a park or a beach if people congregate instead of just asking them to disperse.

It is interesting how many people are willing to sacrifice individual freedoms so readily. Guess what people, people die every single day, that is inescapable. Cigarettes are going to get more people this year than the COVID virus ever will. Why not ban them everywhere? And cars will kill more people than the COVID virus ever will, shall we ban those too? Why don’t we just sit in our houses to avoid all the risks of living? I am not saying that we don’t take the virus seriously, but when they tell us that we can’t even be in a wetsuit a 1,000 meters from another human being, well that is silly and there is just no getting around it. I am not upset or angry, but before you accept a ban on your freedoms, it is okay to question the argument you are given. Government is to serve the people, but in far too many countries, cities, and localities, the opposite is true.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post (total 6):
Thatspeck (Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 am) • loco4viento (Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 am) • nixmatters (Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:33 am) • Peter_Frank (Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:17 pm) • TomW (Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:23 pm) • knotwindy (Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 pm)
Rating: 40%

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:56 am

fernmanus wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 am

It is interesting how many people are willing to sacrifice individual freedoms so readily.
This is without a doubt the most surprising thing that has happened in my lifetime. When all is said and done and we see there have been worse flu seasons...
Blah blah blah

There's a cure, going to be available by Sept. Start at about 10:30 to skip over irrelevant info;

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 am

Good video. Crazy the President is pushing malaria drugs and Dr Fauci is doing a randomized trial on them currently, while this is not going to be available till September??? You would think this would be going into trial straight away instead of the Malaria BS. Someone needs to get info about this up there to the right people.....

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Robert Moses Field 5
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slighshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)
Cabrinha Squid Launcher 5'2" (2017)
Slingshot Screamer 5'6" (2017)
Slingshot Alien Air with Naish WS-1

Postby CARMELHILL » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 pm

while this is not going to be available till September??? You would think this would be going into trial straight away instead of the Malaria BS.

It always takes 9 to 12 months for a new vaccination to be developed. This is STANDARD.

And Trump is a used car selling nice person. Lies, lies, and more lies.

Regularkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: North

Postby Regularkiter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm

what nobody is talking about is that this lock down won't work for a long period of time. People will go nuts, and will start breaking rules, police will get overwhelmed, and government would risk loosing control.

People might be willing to endure a month, max two, but after...

Here in Canada some cities/provinces said to expect 3 months of harsh measures. I don't think it would work unless they weld people in their homes. Chinese approach is starting to make sense now sadly....

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 pm

There is no rational reason why driving to beach and launching your kite and kitesurfing alone should be prohibited due to risk of increased infection. I do this 95% of my sessions anyway. Even in normal times, if I do a session with my kite " buddies " I launch and land my kite alone and we wave to each other on the water

The biggest problem with prohibition is that all the closet fascists come out of the closet and see the chance to exercise their fascist tendencies. I live in Sweden and our authorities understand this deeply. The best way is to inform, educate and appeal to people to use their judgement. This works when your area is sparsely populated and people have a sense of collective responsibility. It's not going to mean that we avoid deaths and infection and economic problems, but at least we will retain our sense of community and keep those fascists in the closet.
PS. I am American by birth.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:41 pm

I think they don’t want people to get hurt, since hospitals are overrun already and to keep capacity.

I don’t like it either, but it makes sense.

Come on guys, around 4 weeks for the lives of others.
We can do that and should respect it.

Have someone in your family infected and in need for a hospital...but the needed bed is busy because someone wanted to do their sport.

My mum is in hospital right now, and I am very happy with the hospital still having capacity. If not, she would have sent back home with being 80 years old...

Think twice, please. And soon we all will be back and enjoy our sport even more !
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
iriejohn (Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:30 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Kitesurfing”