Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Corona Virus - Has your country banned kitesurfing?

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:11 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm
Most experienced kiters know that you should be ready to self rescue because you shouldn’t count on others to be around or able to help. This is called accepting responsibility for ones own actions. And potentially be willing to pay the price.
If you extend this mindset/attitude to rescue, you can decline whatever help shows up to keep you/them safe. Crazy idea I know, excepting responsibility for your decisions. Is this still a problem for ‘the system’?
Something I learned from that poll on another forum, was that the majority of kiters expect to be rescued should their self rescue go bad. Some even expect to be rescued before they attempt a self-rescue.

So what you're failing to see is that there are many different mentalities out there, and the approaches believed to be acceptable by those different mentalities include some which will certainly endanger rescue personnel.

Personally, I'm with you on that thing. I never go out further than I can swim, and I try to maintain my gear in a manner which minimizes any issues I may have. That said, if I'm really struggling I probably don't have a cell phone to call and say "hey I don't need to be rescued even though it looks like it and someone on the beach has called me in."

Rescue Personnel mobilization is triggered by many different things. If you really want to go out and kite, you need to figure out a way to stop any chance of one of those things occurring. And if you really think that through, that's putting even more lives in danger.
Last edited by Matteo V on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 pm

It is an interesting question what the "rational view" is on this.

I am of the opinion that the earth got too many human beings, but who gets to decide who stay and who would have to go? That will be determined by a virus that randomly seems to kill more old people? What if the next virus is more deadly among children?

Not to mention if we start to "allow" viruses to spread because they are "natural" how do you think states will start to act? Biological warfare might come our way regardless, but that would basically be to encourage those kind of actions.

The perfect way is to vaccinate your own population and then spread a virus. I hope when that happens that we don't encourage the spread.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Pemba (Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 pm
I think you lounge chair golf playing kooks shouldn’t be kiting anyway, so stay home so you don’t need rescuing.
Excellent example of the f*** it attitude that is rampant in humanity. These people exist and we certainly care for them in the same manner as we care for those of us who are more conscientious. Humanities code of morals is what gets the rest of us in trouble.

Think of it this way, if it was possible to instantly identify this person from satellite, and look up their posts revealing their attitude, then we could decide at the time of the emergency number phone call, to not help them. Just let the shark keep chewing away, or let their body just float out to sea. "No help needed because that person was stupid."

But does this fit our moral standards? Will there not be a huge outcry for us to protect the less intelligent / those that cannot make good decisions for themselves?

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm

We are now entering the "moral question" zone, which is essential to include if we want to distinguish between right or wrong.
However, lacking this very skill, is prohibiting us doing so...
:idea:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 pm
The perfect way is to vaccinate your own population and then spread a virus. I hope when that happens that we don't encourage the spread.
No government would vaccinate its population, if that government was okay with committing biological warfare against the planet. Only loyal citizens supportive of the party would receive the vaccination. Dissidents, the mentally ill, those burdensome on the system, and those deemed unworthy for other reasons, would not receive the vaccine.

The point is, the things would play out very much differently then most people expect if this situation actually did occur.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post (total 2):
kiteykitekite (Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 pm) • dkazhdan (Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:11 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm
Havre wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 pm
No government would vaccinate its population, if that government was okay with committing biological warfare against the planet. Only loyal citizens supportive of the party would receive the vaccination. Dissidents, the mentally ill, those burdensome on the system, and those deemed unworthy for other reasons, would not receive the vaccine.

The point is, the things would play out very much differently then most people expect if this situation actually did occur.
Thankfully us kiters know how it would play out since you are here :thumb:

Sure. So the country would let some of its own people die as well. Completely besides the context of the discussion the rest of us were having of course.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:02 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm
We are now entering the "moral question" zone, which is essential to include if we want to distinguish between right or wrong.
However, lacking this very skill, is prohibiting us doing so...
:idea:
Before you distinguish between right and wrong, you have to decide in which manner those two things exist.

Moral absolutism defines what is absolutely right and what is absolutely wrong, and things in between.

Moral relativism leaves right and wrong defined only by that which has more right or more wrong. Thus some things which have traditionally been considered to be wrong without any excuses for doing those things, can be done under the description of doing something less wrong than something else.

In my opinion, both of these systems are flawed to the point that they create is much harm as they do good in sorting things out.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:29 pm

Here in Kingston ON, not in lockdown, but state of emergency has been activated in the province. All non essential services closed. People are still out walking and jogging, but no groups. From what I can tell around here with it being so eerily quiet I think most are taking their responsibilities to heart. First day on the water for me yesterday. There was one guy just comming in when I launched but had the water to myself. Not really uncommon this time of year. Debated heavily where to launch. Ended up choosing the easiest entry/exit despite worse chop.

Launching at our usual, is done right in front of three condo towers full of retirees. Sometimes they get a little too worried for us! Have had them call the cops on me when out on the ice when they felt it was "stormy" so will likely avoid launching there just to reduce the potential calls to authorities.

Was nice to get a few turns in and run through the transitions learned last season just to reassure myself.

Water is cold!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Relax boys, Darwin or god is sorting it out already.
You have very little say in it. But it’s cute you think you can control things.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm
You have very little say in it. But it’s cute you think you can control things.
The only thing we can have any real impact on is the speed of community spread. No one here is under the allusion they are going to avoid this virus. Our collective goal is to flatten initial rate of infection curve to minimize mortality among the first wave to swamp front line health care.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
troutuna (Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”