Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Co2
Litewave169
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Best kite for learning

Postby dingabell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:20 am

Hello all.
I've decided to use my old 2008 kites to practice kite control on the beach as I'm getting the feeling kites have come on a bit since then. I know everyone will have a bit of brand loyalty, but are there any kites from the last 2-3years that you'd consider perfect for learning and progressing a bit? Would probably be second hand (don't need a bar if they're four line) but would consider new if I could get one in a sale.
I had a course booked for June in Morocco which is probably now not going to happen due to the virus but hopefully I'll be able to re book for later in the year.
Many thanks for any replies.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Best kite for learning

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Too many options to list.

My advice is to go with a proven winner. Any simple 3 strut bridled wave or free ride kite with a track record will do. Something that has been around for at least 5 generations. If you pick any kite like a Pivot or Neo, or Bandit, or Rpm, Rally, switchblade etc you can’t go too far wrong. If the kite has been around for 5+ generations it’s decent and they generally have em pretty refined by the fourth year. Look for the really popular ones like pivots or bandits and you can usually score a decent deal on something only a couples years old.

P.s. get it with a bar. Any 2008 bar is not worth the effort to upgrade and your gear is only as safe as the weakest link.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:49 pm

2nd hand comes more down to finding the right offer than a specific kite I would imagine (slightly depending on where you live). I don't necessarily think the Ozone Catalyst is better than other similar kind of kites, but that is an excellent kite to learn with. It is stable and it is exceptionally easy to relaunch. The two things I "struggled" with the most when learning was the kite stalling (most kites are much less prone to stall now anyway) and not being able to relaunch after crashing. Especially in places like Morocco where you got waves not being able to quite quickly relaunch can become a bit troublesome. Kites stalling is a nightmare when you are not able to naturally control the kite. Either the kite ends up crashing with lines going anywhere or you might overcompensate trying to keep the kite flying leading you to crash regardless. I make it sound a bit worse than it is, but having a modern stable kite just makes it so much easier.

Most brands got "families" of kites which are usually quite comparable. If you find something you like you might list it here and get specific feedback to the type of kite or google will quickly help you find out what kind of rider the kite is made for. There is a tendency for some brands not to say that their kite is beginner friendly though - just because people then think they will quickly become "too good" for the kite. To me that is %%!"#"% for most kiters. Very few are pushing their equipment to the max (some do of course).

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

I agree with previous posters. It's a bit like asking what car is the best to learn driving in. Relaunch and backstalling are issues to think of. Having said that, I think that these days (and for the last 2, 3 years) most kites are Ok to learn with, though maybe not foils and race kites (built lighter). I would probably choose a kite that you think you'll be happy with once you've learned.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Save yourself and other beach users some troubles, go to a proper kite school and get a lesson, 2 hrs could be enough.
And please, do not use a 2008 kite, it might be not safe...

dingabell
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Co2
Litewave169
Been thanked: 0

Postby dingabell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Will definitely be doing a week long course and using a 2018 Slingshot bar which is brand new. Some very good advice so thanks all for that. I hadn't really thought about looking for a kite model which has been out for years and buying maybe a forth generation version of it. That makes complete sense. For those of you who've been in the game a long time, have you noticed major gains in performance and ease of use for kites during the last ten years? I only ask this as to the uninitiated there doesn't seem to be a major change in design in this time. I'm guessing there have been loads of minor tweeks to equipment over the years that have added up to some major gains?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 pm

If I were in your position with the knowledge I have now, I would snag a late model pivot. They were sooooo popular, for good reason. Nice jump in overall performance with that kite.

The late model F-ones are dope, but generally have to spend more unless your in Europe.

I would also strongly consider a Neo. Pretty state of the art wave kite that can boost plenty until you decide that is more what your after.

Plenty of other kites I'd be happy with, but in simple terms. Those three.

Glad to hear you have a current bar. The great deals on used kites are always kite only.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 pm

dingabell wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 pm
I only ask this as to the uninitiated there doesn't seem to be a major change in design in this time.
Ssssshhhhh *cough

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am

The Enduros I got is a design from 2016. Not suggesting they are the the pinnacle of kite design and that nothing can be significantly improved upon, but in terms of for example stalling they are excellent and much better than some of the kites I learned with. Which again means for a beginner that you are much safer on the beach, much easier to water start and less stress if the wind dies when you are out on the water.

Even if kites that are used "normally" (let us say 20 times a year) are never really worn out by my experience I wouldn't go much older than 2016 2nd hand anyway - unless I was very confident this kite had been kept in good order or it was more or less given to me.

My guess is that you will be fine - as the market for kites from 2008 is rather limited.

Return to “Kitesurfing”