Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How will Covid19 affect the launch of 2021 kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
andikite
Rare Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone pro whip csc 5'2
Ride Engine 2019 Harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How will Covid19 affect the launch of 2021 kites?

Postby andikite » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:53 pm

This is the question... I would appreciate if this question were answered by main brand focal points of this forum but all opinions will be ok!

I guess prototypes of new kite ranges are ready in march/april, but it's obvius that current situation will affect directly to dealers meetings.

Or not?

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Bluebay, La Tonnara & Balistra
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor '12, 10, 7 & 5m, Flite '12 15m. Flysurfer Soul 10m, 12m & 6m. Peak4 3m, 5m & 11m. North X-Ride 129x38, Naish Custom Wave Global 5.7, Nobile Skim, Ketos Pocket 118 & WaveXL & Kool. Dynabar. BGD Cure M.

Re: How will Covid19 affect the launch of 2021 kites?

Postby Janus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:02 am

Open book.. yes it will affect and thus delay the launch of new kites..
but since a lot of gear cannot be used we don't need new models either.. 8)
We've got other problems at the moment to worry about.
:allbegood:

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:59 am

Do you really think that there's any significant development in kites and last 5 to 7 years?

Besides some brand new material, being marketed by only one type manufacturer this year, pretty much every design has been perfected within the last 10 years. Every supposedly new and improved design, has just been a trade-off or messing up a good kite with changes just so they could call it this year's kite. The hype gets lots of kiters to buy into having this year's kite only to realize that they need to once again buy the following years kite hoping that it will be as good as the Kite from 2 years ago.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post (total 2):
Janus (Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 pm) • Bill C (Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

alunj
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 pm

I’m wondering how many brands will fail. I would think factories have been closed since Jan . So 2021 forward orders will be held up / delayed . Capacity will be very limited when they do restart .

Also, right now who would spend $ on a kite they cant use for the foreseeable future. I’m guessing there are no lessons so new entrants to the sport will take a dip and sales of packages to them as well.

Difficult times for old and new companies I should think

Maybe we will be out of wave 1 by end of summer and there may be a window before wave 2 ( predicted Oct/Nov ) for brands and dealers to sell some kit

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:43 pm

From what I heard, factories are running again.

One smaller brand told me, that they sold all their stock already and in summer comes their 2021 models.
So basically no delays.

Another brand told me that they will will continue with one model and not offer a 2021 version.
For their other models things will continue as normal.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:59 am
Do you really think that there's any significant development in kites and last 5 to 7 years?
Only because I'm locked down here, going mental and it's been a while since I gave our virtual boy blunder here, some worthwhile education in the actual realities of kiteworld rather than the cynical bollox he spouts to justify his hermit life living in a shoe box at the edge of some toxic waste spill, or have you graduated to full dumpster lifestyle? Whatever, here's the truth.

Just take one kite, the XR series from Core, could you honestly expect an XR6 user to return to an XR5? Never mind a 4 or 3 (to span your 5 years) each and every iteration has been an actual improvement on its predecessor so chum, you're wrong.

AS to the title, lots of brands are moving away from annual to the more sensible 2 year cycle, or only when they've done something significant like the Core S3 bar we're eagerly awaiting, can't exactly recall when the S2 surfaced but it was more than two years ago.

Now I fully realise some brands operate the way you describe and can recall times when distributors left the new offerings on the beach and were glad they had bought their own kit to some far flung paradise only to experience a worrying potential sales prevention offering from their supplier.

But it's not the case with every brand, so the trick is to swap brands now and again and obviously try other folks kites if they'll let you. (I understand this might be difficult for you Matty with your fashion style issues).

So yes there has been significant improvement in some brands offerings worth trading up to.

AS to Covid19 (and I'm of the opinion it should be let rip, it is the planet fighting back after all setting one virus to destroy another and the one doing the most harm) It absolutely stresses me that we're prevented from enjoying a sport where there is at least 25 metres of inbuilt social distancing and hearing tales of kite instructors having to seek social security benefits, it's an un mitigated disaster from which I hope we all recover soon. I'm sure once the summer arrives it might abate, that Sars seemed to disappear almost as quickly as it arrived.

So stay safe everyone including you Matty (I guess your outfits help with the social distancing ;-) )
These users thanked the author CaptainCore for the post (total 3):
Matteo V (Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:31 pm) • iriejohn (Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 pm) • Hugh2 (Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 pm)
Rating: 25%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:31 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:06 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Only because I'm locked down here, going mental and it's been a while since I gave our virtual boy blunder here, some worthwhile education in the actual realities of kiteworld rather than the cynical bollox he spouts to justify his hermit life living in a shoe box at the edge of some toxic waste spill, or have you graduated to full dumpster lifestyle? Whatever, here's the truth.

Just take one kite, the XR series from Core, could you honestly expect an XR6 user to return to an XR5? Never mind a 4 or 3 (to span your 5 years) each and every iteration has been an actual improvement on its predecessor so chum, you're wrong.

AS to the title, lots of brands are moving away from annual to the more sensible 2 year cycle, or only when they've done something significant like the Core S3 bar we're eagerly awaiting, can't exactly recall when the S2 surfaced but it was more than two years ago.

Now I fully realise some brands operate the way you describe and can recall times when distributors left the new offerings on the beach and were glad they had bought their own kit to some far flung paradise only to experience a worrying potential sales prevention offering from their supplier.

But it's not the case with every brand, so the trick is to swap brands now and again and obviously try other folks kites if they'll let you. (I understand this might be difficult for you Matty with your fashion style issues).

So yes there has been significant improvement in some brands offerings worth trading up to.

AS to Covid19 (and I'm of the opinion it should be let rip, it is the planet fighting back after all setting one virus to destroy another and the one doing the most harm) It absolutely stresses me that we're prevented from enjoying a sport where there is at least 25 metres of inbuilt social distancing and hearing tales of kite instructors having to seek social security benefits, it's an un mitigated disaster from which I hope we all recover soon. I'm sure once the summer arrives it might abate, that Sars seemed to disappear almost as quickly as it arrived.

So stay safe everyone including you Matty (I guess your outfits help with the social distancing ;-) )
Cappy's back!

We all missed you and it's good to have you back here so we can all know what the corporate machine is thinking!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.80m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun 138x42
Ozone Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula

Postby iriejohn » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:44 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:06 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Only because I'm locked down here, going mental and it's been a while since I gave our virtual boy blunder here, some worthwhile education in the actual realities of kiteworld rather than the cynical bollox he spouts to justify his hermit life living in a shoe box at the edge of some toxic waste spill, or have you graduated to full dumpster lifestyle?
Blunt.

But fair.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:10 pm

Don't think the CORE porate world is thinking any different to the rest of us, in that they're worried and want it to stop. Core are still shipping, but most of the staff are working from home as from saturday week ago. Moses are on full closure lock down for two weeks at least from last tuesday. We're still getting stuff out but it's only because my outfit is a pretty small affair and like most of the stores I deal with owner operated.

The Sensor bar launch had to go soft launch and we're not supposed to promote it too hard because I guess there's still doubt they'll have all the bits to make the May 1st deadline. The Nexus2 launch likewise, I've not heard anything about it other than from one of the guys at Core who said he and it are planning to get married as soon as possible, no idea why, maybe he knocked it up.

I feel bad for lots of the companies that like me were looking forward to a bumper year this season, new North, Cabrinha both in need of a leg up after recent set backs, our annual show the Kite Armada has been in doubt not least because the winter storms washed their exhibition site away and the council had indicated they were going to just let the area erode, including a pub called Inn on the Beach Hayling. However now it's banned, along with Wimbledon ffs.

So just bad news and more bad news, not good, very depressing, need something to cheer me up, so hence my return to torment y'all.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 137, Cyclone 136, Eleveight Master 136, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Have to agree with the Captain. Naish Pivot introduced 2015, that's just six years ago, was a revolution for me and many others, and the quadtex canopy material from 2017 onwards was another significant step forward. My newest Pivot is only 2018, so I cannot comment on the 2019 and 2020 changes, but they seemed very popular in Cape Town this past summer.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
tautologies (Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Kitesurfing”