Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Forum for kitesurfers
Aberdovy kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: North rebels 10, 13
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor pro 132x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:23 pm

faklord wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:01 pm
Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 pm
The watch records the metrics, then when i home it uploads to garmin connect, if you use the garmin virb camera that has accelerometer and gyroscope, which in theory allow you to capture turn/spin g force and climb rate data, as said previously the altimeter is useless, its designed for pilots.
Sorry. My question wasn’t clear.
I meant which app on your watch are you using to ‘record the metrics’.
As far as I’m aware the Garmin Watches don’t come with a kitesurfing app, so you either have to clone one (from something like the pre-installed Run or Bike) or install a 3rd party app.
you don't need a 3rd party app, your only using simple metrics, you create an activity and add the metrics you want, in my case i use speed,distance,max ascent,distance,heart rate.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 pm

3rd party apps (or data fields) can add something that Garmin doesn't have. Take Max speed for the last 30/60 sec data field (that I created) for example - it is invaluable to check your jump take-off speed AFTER the jump.

As another example, I was contemplating creating a VMG data field for a while. Garmin has it, but you need to provide your destination first. However, it is possible to calculate wind direction fairly accurately based on you past tracks. One day I'll buckle up and finish VMG data field, but watches without Connect IQ support will have no way to install it :(

redskykiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay State Park
Gear: ALL Slingshot!
Brand Affiliation: Red Sky Surf & Snow

Postby redskykiter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 pm

I've been using the windsurfing app by Georg_R with my Garmin Venu. I'm not interested in jump height (unless it was accurate).

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:38 pm

The new WOO Garmin app will have the jump height directly from the WOO, plus a bunch of other features that are specific to Garmin (tracks anyone? :D ).

Aberdovy kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Nobile T5 140x44

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am

aleks wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:38 pm
The new WOO Garmin app will have the jump height directly from the WOO, plus a bunch of other features that are specific to Garmin (tracks anyone? :D ).
Is this an app that woo are building, or is it a 3rd party?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am

I find apps on the watch basically useless. I can't see the numbers while I'm riding and can't be bothered looking at the end of a session.

The watch automatically uploads to Garmin Connect and I look at the records when I feel like it, or if anything interesting happened in the session and I want to look at it.

Far more useful than an app on the watch would be an analysis tool that I can use to analyse a GPX file. I want to be able define whatever metric I am interested in and it will pull the numbers out of the file and let me change the metrics to learn stuff.

Things like auto-generated laps based on change of direction and speed, maximum and average speeds over any duration I want. VMG and all the rest. It should be able to work out the probably wind direction from the trends of speed and angle of riding.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am
Is this an app that woo are building, or is it a 3rd party?
I wrote this app specifically for WOO Sports. It will be published directly by WOO Sports in Garmin Connect IQ Store, however it is mostly my design (with feedback from WOO team) and 100% my code. Of course by now I'm not exactly a 3rd party to WOO, I'm more of a part time team member :D .
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
Aberdovy kiter (Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:28 pm) • Matteolo (Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:14 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
I find apps on the watch basically useless. I can't see the numbers while I'm riding and can't be bothered looking at the end of a session.

The watch automatically uploads to Garmin Connect and I look at the records when I feel like it, or if anything interesting happened in the session and I want to look at it.

Far more useful than an app on the watch would be an analysis tool that I can use to analyse a GPX file. I want to be able define whatever metric I am interested in and it will pull the numbers out of the file and let me change the metrics to learn stuff.

Things like auto-generated laps based on change of direction and speed, maximum and average speeds over any duration I want. VMG and all the rest. It should be able to work out the probably wind direction from the trends of speed and angle of riding.
I find smart watches on the water extremely useful. I have no problems seeing the numbers (and do that often), but that depends on a personal taste/sight abilities.

However, in the new Woo app for Garmin, there can be something for you as well. You'll be able to download GPX file from Garmin and process it on on other sites (there are a few I've heard of) to find out VMG and other metrics. But, if you don't look at Woo jump height on your watch, you can create and analyze tracks with any standard Garmin activity, no need for a separate app.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Here is a preview of Garmin Activity that will be created by the new WOO app on Garmin watches (this is one of my latest sessions):

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... /0?lang=en

Besides all other standard Garmin graphs and track, take a look at the last graph - Jumps. For now it is only in meters (some Garmin restrictions, I had to choose one - meters or feet).When you move a mouse over the graph, it will show you the point where it happened on the map above :) . You can also open the graph, zoom in / scroll, and add an overlay of another graph - I like speed overlay. You can see the speed before and after the jump (but you need to remember that jumps are delayed a bit as they are reported after they are landed). If the speed goes down to zero at the jump, it means you didn't land it :D .

Also, at the bottom there are Connect IQ fields with session totals: Best jump, Number of jumps, Average, etc.

All suggestions are welcome!
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Matteolo (Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:44 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Aberdovy kiter
Rare Poster
Nobile T5 140x44

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:12 pm

aleks wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:34 pm
Here is a preview of Garmin Activity that will be created by the new WOO app on Garmin watches (this is one of my latest sessions):

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... /0?lang=en

Besides all other standard Garmin graphs and track, take a look at the last graph - Jumps. For now it is only in meters (some Garmin restrictions, I had to choose one - meters or feet).When you move a mouse over the graph, it will show you the point where it happened on the map above :) . You can also open the graph, zoom in / scroll, and add an overlay of another graph - I like speed overlay. You can see the speed before and after the jump (but you need to remember that jumps are delayed a bit as they are reported after they are landed). If the speed goes down to zero at the jump, it means you didn't land it :D .

Also, at the bottom there are Connect IQ fields with session totals: Best jump, Number of jumps, Average, etc.

All suggestions are welcome!
Garmin connect page not loading, is this app on the garmin connect iq app, tried searching for woo could only find jmg-app by surfy 66.

Return to “Kitesurfing”