Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Looks like Americans are in the clear.

https://www.surforsound.com/news

New! No Risk Booking Guarantee – one less thing to worry about:

Are you ready to plan your summer or fall vacation but are questioning whether you would be restricted from coming due to the Coronavirus travel restriction in Dare County? We are giving you one less thing to worry about.

If you book with us and the Dare County travel restriction issued on March 17, 2020 is extended, preventing you from accessing the Outer Banks for the duration of your reservation, we will provide you with a full refund.

What about people not being able to enter US due to border closed? Anybody knows?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Summer vacation? That would be so bad for all of us.
Economy won’t survive that!

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area
Gear: lf overdrive, sector v5, mako king,NHP split,
lf happy foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grtlakes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:35 pm

That is the 3500$ question. We have a house booked in May driving down from Ontario. Our 15th yearly trip. If Dare county restrictions are lifted but Canadian usa border still closed no insurance. That is according to the insurance company through Surf and Sound. Surf and Sound have been less than helpful and quite frankly downright aggressive and rude when we called. Bad situation. I would suggest not booking at this time. Buyer beware.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:41 pm

grtlakes wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:35 pm
no insurance
They tried to sell me insurance but where does it say it will pay if the border is closed.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm

I wouldn't say "Americans are in the clear" quite yet, marlboroughman. The SurfOrSound marketing idea is interesting, but I'd be surprised if Hatteras returns to "normal" any time soon. Dare County just had its first Covid-19 fatality, and the "peak" of the virus' impact and the drain on required resources isn't projected in Dare County for another week (April 15). Like everywhere else in the world, people are cautious. So even if Dare and surrounding Hyde, Currituck and Tyrrell Counties (and the USA) open the doors to visitors within the next few weeks or months, it will take some time for vacationers to return in full force.

The dilemma we all face (but especially in vacation destinations like Hatteras) is how to balance economic considerations with medical necessity. In the USA, as in all countries around the world, the economy is hurting in a big way. But long term, the economic impact could be even worse if we ignore medical considerations too soon.

I feel badly for the small business owners on Hatteras Island (and around the world). Covid-19 is hitting all world economies hard. And, of course, it's hitting families and friends of the 1000's of deceased victims in ways that most of us can't even imagine. These are crazy times!

Keep the faith, good friends! This too shall pass!
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post (total 2):
Flyingseb (Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:08 pm) • lindseym (Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:18 am)
Rating: 16.67%

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:54 pm

They could say to foreigners you have one year to postpone your trip if the border is closed but to take people's money and run will be a PR nightmare for them.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:07 pm

grtlakes wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:35 pm
That is the 3500$ question. We have a house booked in May driving down from Ontario. Our 15th yearly trip. If Dare county restrictions are lifted but Canadian usa border still closed no insurance. That is according to the insurance company through Surf and Sound. Surf and Sound have been less than helpful and quite frankly downright aggressive and rude when we called. Bad situation. I would suggest not booking at this time. Buyer beware.
Frankly, when are the rental agencies in Hatteras ever really "helpful"? I would say that the rental companies/owners should absorb the loss in this situation ... at the very least they should offer a "voucher" for a later stay. Businesses everywhere are taking a big hit, but soaking the customer at this time in order to recoup a few bucks is a very bad strategy for the longer term IMO.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque
Style: awkward
Gear: 15m Core XR3, 12 & 7 m Core XR4, 10, Core XR5.
LF Wow 3, 12/10/8 m
CF Raptor Pro Ltd, Ocean Rodeo Jester.
Nobile Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby windybrit » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm

10th year our group has booked with “surf n turf” but as of now no refunds for us and their cancellation insurance won’t pay.... I remember some years back Dimitri suggesting that they be avoided, should have listened.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:54 pm
They could say to foreigners you have one year to postpone your trip if the border is closed but to take people's money and run will be a PR nightmare for them.
I totally agree. I had a trip planned to Turks and Caicos the last week in March. Everything (airport, airlines) shut down the day before my trip, so I couldn't get there. The owners of the villa I had rented are allowing me to rebook later with no extra charge. I was already a loyal patron, but now even moreso.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm

They have a small window of opportunity to correct this. Let's say the border opens and there is no problem, but their position on this will leave bad taste in people's mouths who gave them business in the past 3 decades, in my case.

Return to “Kitesurfing”