Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Forum for kitesurfers
pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby pj sofine » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:03 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Looks like non resident property owners can access their homes starting thur. Visitors starting May 14.It was mentioned that this date may be moved up.
Where are you seeing that, PJ? Those dates sound about right for Currituck County (Thurs. and May 15 were discussed at Commissioners meeting last night), but I'm not finding any official word from Dare County (i.e., Hatteras) yet. Dare is supposed to announce something later today.
https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolin ... -thursday/

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:22 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:03 pm
FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Looks like non resident property owners can access their homes starting thur. Visitors starting May 14.It was mentioned that this date may be moved up.
Where are you seeing that, PJ? Those dates sound about right for Currituck County (Thurs. and May 15 were discussed at Commissioners meeting last night), but I'm not finding any official word from Dare County (i.e., Hatteras) yet. Dare is supposed to announce something later today.
https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolin ... -thursday/
Thanks, PJ. That actually pertains to Currituck County, not Dare County. Currituck includes the village of Corolla on the northern Outer Banks (north of Southern Shores, Duck, etc.). Most of Currituck County is inland on the "Inner Banks".

Hatteras Island is part of Dare County, which is supposed to announce an entry plan today. Dare's plan should be close to what Currituck decided, although the rumors have been May 1 for NRPOs and May 15 for visitors. But Currituck pre-empted Dare with its surprise announcement last night. For a NRPO to drive to Corolla in Currituck, he'd have to travel through Dare. So Dare has been backed into a corner. Dare may follow Currituck's lead. The Dare Co. decision should be posted on www.darenc.com later today. (Small local government politics are a hoot!)
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
pj sofine (Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:39 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Westfinger
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 am
Gear: CORE Nexus
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby Westfinger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3316
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 pm

No news for visitors but no access until May 15 for sure given the way owners are scheduled.

Beginning Monday, May 4 at 6:00 a.m. - Entry begins and is ongoing for non- resident property owners whose last name begins with A - I

Beginning Wednesday, May 6 at 6:00 a.m. - Entry begins and is ongoing for non- resident property owners whose last name begins with J - R

Beginning Friday, May 8 at 6:00 a.m. - Entry begins for non-resident property owners whose last name begins with S - Z

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 40840
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 573 times
Contact:

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 pm

Are there that many that they need to split it up?

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3316
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 pm

I know, these two weeks are popular with Canadians but I am glad as hell it turned out this way. None of these realties were willing to return money to those who couldn't cross the border. It sure registered with me.

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 pm
Are there that many that they need to split it up?
There are a lot of "non-resident property owners". These are people who live outside the county but have 2nd homes there or own rental houses there. After hurricane evacuations, they have always let non-resident property owner return to the county at one time. It's never been a problem to do it that way. I guess they want to make sure the re-entry is orderly. There are lots of people waiting to get back to the OBX! (This is prime time kiting there! :thumb: )

User avatar
RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:20 pm
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby RagingGrandpa » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:26 pm

jorg wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pm
I made that mistake with Surf and Sound, never again.
Our current booking and our dealing have been superb.
Who do you use now?

Thx

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3316
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Have you ever seen more convoluted money back guarantee? Don't book in advance for at least next two years.

What are my options for my April or May vacation?

Given the fluid nature of this situation, we are reviewing each reservation individually. If you have questions regarding your reservation, we encourage you to call us to discuss your options. Please know that we are working to assist each guest as we confront the unique challenges of this situation.

Never buy their BS insurance either.

I purchased travel insurance. What is covered?

Since each guest situation is unique and we believe your questions are best answered by the experts, we recommend that you contact Red Sky directly at 1-866-889-7409 for answers to questions relating to your coverage.

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby Flyboy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm
Have you ever seen more convoluted money back guarantee? Don't book in advance for at least next two years.

What are my options for my April or May vacation?

Given the fluid nature of this situation, we are reviewing each reservation individually. If you have questions regarding your reservation, we encourage you to call us to discuss your options. Please know that we are working to assist each guest as we confront the unique challenges of this situation.

Never buy their BS insurance either.

I purchased travel insurance. What is covered?

Since each guest situation is unique and we believe your questions are best answered by the experts, we recommend that you contact Red Sky directly at 1-866-889-7409 for answers to questions relating to your coverage.
That is pretty much the nature of any insurance policy. Who really looks at/understands the "small print"?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Hefram, Leon van Bergen, Lib337, SWO_kite, tizzleberg and 15 guests