Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Forum for kitesurfers
br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hatteras closed. Who will get the money back?

Postby br44 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:13 am

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm
marlboroughman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm
Have you ever seen more convoluted money back guarantee? Don't book in advance for at least next two years.

What are my options for my April or May vacation?

Given the fluid nature of this situation, we are reviewing each reservation individually. If you have questions regarding your reservation, we encourage you to call us to discuss your options. Please know that we are working to assist each guest as we confront the unique challenges of this situation.

Never buy their BS insurance either.

I purchased travel insurance. What is covered?

Since each guest situation is unique and we believe your questions are best answered by the experts, we recommend that you contact Red Sky directly at 1-866-889-7409 for answers to questions relating to your coverage.
That is pretty much the nature of any insurance policy. Who really looks at/understands the "small print"?
Here’s another option.
1. Self-insure. In the last 15 years I lost my money twice (hurricanes). However, all of the other times when we visited I saved the cost of the insurance (which I don’t buy). I am even, more likely ahead.
2. Book your house just a couple of days in advance. Best protection against hurricanes. Would have helped with covid too.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:43 am

br44 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:13 am
2. Book your house just a couple of days in advance. Best protection against hurricanes. Would have helped with covid too.
When I go alone I can sleep in a van. But when you want to make something special for the family it is not easy to find a nice house in $800/week range last minute. This is why I won't be bothered with Hatteras until the virus goes away. I still think Canadians will loose money, and after all extras it is not small change. It will set me back $2250.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 pm

Class action lawsuit, fine with me.
https://www.obxtoday.com/top-stories/va ... nd-realty/

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Wheels are in motion.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the class action against Surf or Sound Realty for withholding refunds from customers after failing to provide rental vacation properties during the closure of Dare County due to COVID-19.
We have filed a class action lawsuit in Superior Court for Dare County (20-CVS-244). Two plaintiffs – xx xx – will serve as Class representatives if the court certifies the Class. At this time, we have determined that it is not necessary to sign up additional plaintiffs, as we do not anticipate pursuing individual lawsuits. For that reason, we will not be sending retainer agreements to everyone who contacted our firm.
It is not necessary for you to sign a retainer with us in order to be part of the class. If you meet the below requirements, and if the Court approves our proposed Class definition, you will automatically be a Class member and can share in the recovery from the lawsuit:
1. You had a reservation through Surf or Sound Realty between March 17 – May 16, 2020, made advance payment to Surf or Sound Realty, were forced to cancel your trip, and did not use the rental property;
2. You have not received a refund for the amount you paid; and
3. You have not signed a new lease to re-book your trip.
We will communicate with the plaintiffs/class representatives so they can keep you updated. We have also created a blog where we will share general information https://www.farrinlawblog.com/sos-realt ... on-updates to inform you about the the case’s progress. If you have any specific questions, you may send them to SoSClassInfo@farrin.com. Please be advised we cannot provide legal advice to you through this e-mail, but we will attempt to answer general questions you may have. There is a FAQ section on the blog page. Please consult that before sending a question.
We are sorry that your vacation was canceled and that you have not received the appropriate refund. We appreciate your interest in this case. We are dedicated to achieving the best result possible for our clients and other members of the proposed Class.
These users thanked the author marlboroughman for the post (total 2):
grigorib (Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 pm) • jorg (Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:18 am

Amazing things happen when you lawyer up.

All parties have completed Refund Agreement
As of today, Surf or Sound Realty has begun the refund process for guests affected by the eight-week Dare County road closure who did not transfer their reservations to later this year or to 2021. We understand this has been a frustrating time and we sincerely apologize.

Since you did not transfer your reservation, we will be issuing you a refund of all monies paid. By clicking this link, you’ll be directed to our Refund Agreement. We ask that you review it and sign it as soon as possible. Refunds will be issued in the order in which we receive the signed Refund Agreements. Please be patient with our team as we work through this process. Rest assured; we will move as quickly as possible.

Once we receive your signed Refund Agreement you should receive an email from us within seven days detailing the cost summary of your refund. The credit to your debit or credit card account should also show within seven days. If you paid by check, we will mail your refund check within one week. If you have questions during this time, please call (252) 987-5110.

At Surf or Sound Realty, the interests of our homeowners and our guests are top priority, and the COVID-19 pandemic has brought challenges never expected, nor imagined. We understand that our decisions during the Dare County road closure were confusing at times. We apologize those decisions made a difficult time even more challenging. It has always been our intent to assist you in a reasonable resolution.

We feel privileged to have represented Hatteras Island homeowners and visitors since 1978, and are committed to serving our guests, our community, and our homeowners with integrity for many more years to come. We hope you’ll be able to visit Hatteras Island soon.

Sincerely,
xx

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 am

Surf or Sound Realty (SOS) made a very poor business decision. SOS was the only OBX rental company that continued to deny refunds to people who couldn't access their rental properties during the shut-down even after the NC Real Estate Commission issued an opinion that refunds were required. The fact that it took a lawsuit to force SOS to do what all the other companies were doing is terrible public relations, in addition to just being wrong. I'm glad you're getting your $$$ back, m-man

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised if some owners pull their houses from under them.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 am

They've been assholes for 20 years, no surprise they would pull some kind of shit and try to keep refunds.

We've had issues with them before. They are not accommodating in the slightest....

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 pm

VRBO has had similar issues during the pandemic.
"we strongly encourage you to issue at least a 50% refund. "
but the homeowner can do as they please..

Return to “Kitesurfing”