Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby nixmatters » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm

caduo wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am
nixmatters hi,
can you tell what other brands,except cabrinha,are using non teijin rip stop?thx
Pretty much every brand not stating that they use Teijin. I'm afraid I can't give you a more precise answer :)
Who uses exactly what fabric item is not of great importance since tech specs are not publicly available.

Both Core and Gong use Teijin tripple ripstop. Is it identical - I don't know. Is it the best? The test data I've seen, it's on the top in one regard and towards the bottom in another. It's a big play with trade offs with canopy ripstops specs. And don't forget the planned obsolescence.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Best is always to ask a kite repair in an international travel destination...they will tell you who has the worst quality and the best.
And which brand has certain problems.

They get it all on their table...

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 am

I've spoken with repair guys, the answer is that all kites break, no exceptions, but they get mostly Dutone/old North because percentage wise they are much more popular than other brands. Some of the guys have preferences regarding boards(directionals and twintips) but for kites i've never heard anyone say - this brand is the strongest.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:45 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 pm
caduo wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:54 pm
think it s the same factory that also duotone is using.cabrinha is using neil pryde factory that produce only cabrinha kites,using their own material and not teijin cloth...
Nope. Duotone is made in GSL, everyone else in Aqua Dynamics. Core is there too. It might be that Duotone has some kites made in AD, but not much.
Cabrinha/Neilpryde is not using their own material. No kite factory makes any material.
Apart from Teijin, there are 3-4 other LEI kite canopy suppliers with decent to very good quality.
Neilpryde factory was making for other brands too, incl. BEST and BRM (Cloud). Not sure what's the situation at the moment.
Just wondering if you know who makes the nano ripstop for the Neil Pryde loft as its very different to other material trends.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:12 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:45 pm
nixmatters wrote:
caduo wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:54 pm
think it s the same factory that also duotone is using.cabrinha is using neil pryde factory that produce only cabrinha kites,using their own material and not teijin cloth...
Nope. Duotone is made in GSL, everyone else in Aqua Dynamics. Core is there too. It might be that Duotone has some kites made in AD, but not much.
Cabrinha/Neilpryde is not using their own material. No kite factory makes any material.
Apart from Teijin, there are 3-4 other LEI kite canopy suppliers with decent to very good quality.
Neilpryde factory was making for other brands too, incl. BEST and BRM (Cloud). Not sure what's the situation at the moment.
Just wondering if you know who makes the nano ripstop for the Neil Pryde loft as its very different to other material trends.
Sure I do, but that's 1) already off topic and 2) there is no point going into such details, unless you're launching a new kite brand, which I'm sure you're not if you don't know the answer already :wink:
Let's say I respect their decision not to disclose too much about their supply chain.
As to the nano ripstop (btw, all coatings are 'nano'), what they've done is not such a novelty, despite being new in kite canopy ripstop und I believe a must have.

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:43 pm

at least seems better than the previous one...
These users thanked the author caduo for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:54 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:12 pm
ScoopZ wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:45 pm
nixmatters wrote:

Sure I do, but that's 1) already off topic and 2) there is no point going into such details, unless you're launching a new kite brand, which I'm sure you're not if you don't know the answer already :wink:
Let's say I respect their decision not to disclose too much about their supply chain.
As to the nano ripstop (btw, all coatings are 'nano'), what they've done is not such a novelty, despite being new in kite canopy ripstop und I believe a must have.
Hey, you were already waaay off-topic already, cheers anyway.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:41 am

I was watching one of the kitefinder videos recently (I think it was the Naish boxer vs ARX 2001) and they mentioned that it wasn't the number of threads of ripstop that made the biggest difference but the coatings that were applied. Is this true? And to what extent?

I remember the Eleveight guys saying they use the quadtex as the stiffness of the fabric allows them to reduce the flappiness whilst using less trailing edge material.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Review from Real Watersports:

patternw
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach and Carve
Has thanked: 0

Postby patternw » Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 am

Picked up a North Reach the other week and finally had enough sessions to get a good impression of it. REAL's review is pretty well spot-on. The kite is truly a do-it-all machine. I feel like over the years this idea has been marketed quite hard, almost to the point where it's not really unlike a brand to have "that" kite. The Reach is the first one of these types of kites that truly does do it all, and does it quite well. It jumps well, loops even better. Foils well, surfs well. Unhooks pretty well (this is the only category I think it doesn't do as well as the others).

It turns very fast, almost has a snappy feel to it. I'm sure this is due to the limited bridaling. It has a big range, too. I rode it today in everything from 18 to 26 (with gusts near 30) and had a blast on a twin tip. It's very, very stable. I would definitely want something like this for someone to learn on.

I really like it in a 9m size, as this is typically the size where I'd have a crossover kite. Something that I could ride in the waves should the wind drop a bit, as well as foil, and lastly ride with a twin tip and enjoy freestyle stuff. Honestly, when the Moto came out I was hoping it would ride like this. Huge fan of the kite, can't wait to get more sessions on it. Hope this helps!
These users thanked the author patternw for the post:
a99 (Tue May 12, 2020 8:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”