Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach and Carve
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby patternw » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Update on the Reach.

We've had not much for wind for the past month or so, and had a great session on the Reach 9 last night - wanted to share my thoughts.

The main thing that I notice about the Reach compared to other kites I've flown is the Reach's snappy and precise turning ability. You can grab the middle of the bar with one hand and the kite immediately reacts. It's a very predictable yet lively turn. Something I sorted out, personally (maybe one of the North reps can chime in on this) is the inflation level and how it effects the kite's performance. I found that my typical "pump it up hard" approach doesn't work as well with the Reach. (Yes, I have a pump gauge. No, I don't think it works as well as they should.) I pumped my kite up to a point yesterday where I felt that it could use a little more - not quite to the "stiff" point that I'd typically go to. I feel like the kite performed much better! Additionally, I thought a drawback was going to be luffing/surging in the gusts we had - not any more than it would have had pumped up stiff. On that note, the Reach handles the gusts incredibly well. Anyway, just a thought on inflation points and kite design - I'd love some input from someone who might actually understand what's going on.

I rode the Reach on a twin tip, and simply love the kite. It's truly my favorite kite I've ever flown. It jumps well, loops well, goes upwind well, goes downwind well, is stable, fun to fly - blah, blah, blah, haha. It really rocks! I'm pretty amped on the kite, obviously. I've passed it off to friends on the beach, and they all feel the same. I even had a buddy pick up a 12 after trying my 9!

I enjoy kiteboarding because of the many options and aspects of the sport. I love surfing as much as riding a TT (probably more, I suppose). Foiling is awesome, and riding a boots board is a big focus of mine as well. My issue has always been developing a quiver and deciding between kites that can focus a bit more on one aspect, but leave behind another. The Reach is truly the first kite that I feel only compromises a little bit in the areas I'm willing to compromise - freestyle (I'm terrible nowadays, anyway. A front to blind is probably my best right now), but I can still do everything I'm able (and want to do) on the Reach. It's exceptional in the surf, and jumps/loops better than any kite I've flown that can perform so well in the surf.

Sorry for the long winded write-up, haha. Loads of coffee this morning and leftover stoke from a good session. Anyway, if you guys have any more input or questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best.

I remember when the Cabrinha Drifter came out in 2012 and it changed the way I kite in the surf. The Reach gives me the same feels all over again, but for nearly every aspect of kiteboarding.
These users thanked the author patternw for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

luca
Medium Poster

Postby luca » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:54 pm

I normally pump up my kite stuff really hard. But the Reach doesn’t need so much pressure. Pump it up in the right way. The correct PSI is printed on the Fronttube.
My 12m Reach just needs 6psi and it performs awesome.

Jeremey76
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: katwijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: katwijk aan Zee Dolphins beach Hermanus
Style: free ride big air
Gear: Nort Reach 11 , 9 , 7 , 5 , North Orbit 8 , 12 Core XR6 17m2LW North Atmos carbon Lieuwe Shotgun 138 Mystic majestic X .

Postby Jeremey76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 am

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: North/Ozone/Airush/PLKB/F.One

Postby windsuks » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:03 pm

We've had the new North Reach for a few weeks and been able to try the popular sizes in a real variety of conditions too.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:57 pm

New North users, now that the kites have been out for a while what do you think about build quality? How would you rate compared to Doutone or Core or other leading brands? Thx

patternw
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach and Carve

Postby patternw » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 am

alford wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:57 pm
New North users, now that the kites have been out for a while what do you think about build quality? How would you rate compared to Doutone or Core or other leading brands? Thx
I'd say very much so on par with everything you mentioned. Most comparable to Duotone, I'd say, as far as feel/weight and durability. I've beaten my Reach 9 pretty good so far, still very solid, crisp, and very little sign of wear (if at all!). Bridles haven't deformed, either.

walester
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: Squamish
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Turks and Caicos
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7M Naish Pivot
9M Naish Pivot
North Orbit 9M
Naish Pivot 12M
Naish Pivot 14M
RRD Poison V3 138x41

Postby walester » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:06 pm

I have recently sold some CORE gear to buy the North Orbit and navigator bar in a 9M. My 7M and 12M are Naish Pivots. I would say that the build quality is just as good as the CORE and Naish kites I have. There's some very thoughtful choices from the way they designed the bag, the simplicity of the bar, and the ease to repair the kite by adding graphics to the single color instead of having multiple panels. The materials of it are quite quite similar to the new cabrinha switchblade in some respects (kite material) and duotone in others (bridle material).

Overall my thoughts on both the bar and the kite are that they are both fun and satisfying pieces of equipment to use and they are a pretty impressive first release for this new company. BUT, I think they will be making some changes as there's a few bits of "character" that I imagine they will tweak after this V1. The center lines on the bar don't untwist very easily. This eventually causes an issue with the safety release as the safety line won't flow properly when the lines are twisted. The orbit I think needs a bit of work too, but maybe I am still too used to the pivots that sandwich this kite in my quiver now. The Orbit is a really fast kite and it has very light bar pressure. VERY LIGHT. The pivot takes more muscle to move around. This could be a matter of preference... but I find that I have to continually have the orbit in movement in order to ever feel where it is. I would guess that they add one more setting on the wing tips to increase the bar pressure in the future. I say this, because you can't really know where the kite is when you jump and it is above you. You almost have to keep looking at it above you to know how you want/need to steer it instead of it giving you feedback to where it is. Because of that, I end up not boosting as high as I would on my pivots which was not my intention in buying this kite.

So overall, I think the build quality is great, the design is top notch, but I think there are some things that still need to get worked out before they are in the same league as Duotone, Naish, CORE, F-One
These users thanked the author walester for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:08 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Jeremey76
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: katwijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: katwijk aan Zee Dolphins beach Hermanus
Style: free ride big air
Gear: Nort Reach 11 , 9 , 7 , 5 , North Orbit 8 , 12 Core XR6 17m2LW North Atmos carbon Lieuwe Shotgun 138 Mystic majestic X .

Postby Jeremey76 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:04 pm

ku_perk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Airush DNA, slingshot asylum
Been thanked: 0

Postby ku_perk » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi guys! Could you compare the Reach to the Orbit? I recently tested Reach, Switchblade and Evo and was impressed most with the Reach, but didn’t have a chance to ride the Orbit. Is the Reach a more developed product? Is the sacrifice on boost and hang time big?

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:26 pm

ku_perk wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:30 pm
Hi guys! Could you compare the Reach to the Orbit? I recently tested Reach, Switchblade and Evo and was impressed most with the Reach, but didn’t have a chance to ride the Orbit. Is the Reach a more developed product? Is the sacrifice on boost and hang time big?
Thanks for the note. Great to hear you liked the Reach and those other kites are of course top models you were comparing to.

Reach vs Orbit is a hot topic and I'm sure we will get some good response.

I rode the Orbit a fair bit last year and I have to admit I haven't ridden the Reach with a twin tip yet. So far I am absolutely stoked on it for foiling and it's way exceeded my expectations in surf (I switch between Reach and Carve depending on the conditions).

The Orbit is for sure North's best boosting kite and there's a reason it won King of the Air. The Orbit will let you ride more powered up and will ultimately give you more air time. The Orbit is a more technical kite to fly, 5 struts, higher aspect, so compared to the Reach it needs more wind to find its sweet spot. The Orbit is not made for surfboards and it's not going to be a good light wind foil kite.

In summary if you liked how the Reach was compared to the other kites you rode and you want the option of some other riding styles go with the Reach. If big air is you main focus you should consider the Orbit.

I just had a dealer just message me this: "Like the versatility Reach. Orbit for hanging and dangling." There you go. I hope this helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”