Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: RPM/Asylum/Vision
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby dewwy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:22 pm

ShredThaGnar wrote:
dewwy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:27 pm
Does anyone have experience with the 15m for light wind wakestyle riding?
I got to fly the 9m, 12m and 15m Reach. All sizes unhook very well surprisingly. The kite was designed to surf, foil, boost and loop. Normally there’s always a trade off but this kite in every size has been so fun to fly. When you first launch this kite, especially in the 12m and 15m you’ll notice the light bar pressure right away. It almost feels there’s not enough. But as soon as you dive the kite the bar pressure is exactly what it should be. Medium to light which makes handle passing a breeze. The 15m was designed the be very light in the sky (lighter bladders, less Dacron etc.) so the kite is light. This allows the kite to almost float with the lines slacked. It’s hard to explain, however when you load and pop this kite feels floaty without being ripped off the water like a bow kite. But then parks itself giving you plenty of slack without sacrificing low end capabilities like most freestyle/wakestyle kites. That being said, you won’t get stuck in lightwind with the Reach in the water. The 12m and 15m will relaunch in a puff of wind. The Reach 15m is perfect for those light wind half load and powered up freestyle/wakestyle sessions. You’ll also notice the Reach does not back stall. It’s tuned perfectly right out of the bag. The Reach will be my next quiver, with the 15m being my go to lightwind wakestyle kite. I flew the 14m Pulse last week in Hood River. Amazing wakestyle kite especially in the 14m, however the Reach is going relaunch it bit easier and can be used in a wide array of styles such as foiling, surf, boosting. The advantage of the Reach is going to be low end and relaunch. If you’re a dedicated wakestyle rider I’d recommend the Pulse. If you enjoy unhooking, but also see yourself foiling, doing boardoffs etc the Reach is the choice. The only disadvantage of the 15m Reach is not having friends to unhook with in lightwinds.

I hope this answered your question. If you have any questions on North Kites shoot me a message. I’ve flown almost every model and size in most wind conditions. I’ve also been kiting for 13+ years and have flown most brands.

🤙🏼
Nickcallejo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 pm
I’m a wakestyle rider and got the chance to ride the 15 meter reach in the Kite park in Cape Hatteras. The kite is an absolute weapon for freestyle/wakestyle light wind riding. The low end power and light three strut design gives you a nice sturdy feel on any features your hitting without sacrificing turning speed or upwind capability. In simple terms the reach will keep you juiced up long after everyone else has resorted to their foil.
Cheers, sounds promising. I'll def. hit up north distribution to see if i can demo one.
Would also be interesting to see how it compares to Cab Contra in 15/17 :D

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 pm

LeoLeal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm
Guys,
I would like some help here. I'm thinking about buy a North Reach, for most of the time i will be using on a waveboard ProVoke (wind 11 knots to 18 knots), my weight is 83 kg or 183 lbs.
Which size should i take? 11m² ou 12m²?

Is there a lot of diference between this two?
This is a good question. As 12m kites are often the first kite bought by beginners and used in lessons I believe some brands increase bar pressure on their 12m kites so sometimes the 11m can feel quite a bit nicer than a 12m.

I have ridden (foiling) both the 11 and 12m Reach and I can say I can't notice any significant difference in feel and turning speed is nearly identical. So for your weight and the winds you're looking for I'd think the more power you can get the better and I'd think you should go 12m. No downside here.
These users thanked the author mattaiken MYS NKB for the post:
LeoLeal (Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:13 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ShredThaGnar » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 pm

dewwy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:22 pm
ShredThaGnar wrote:
dewwy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:27 pm
I got to fly the 9m, 12m and 15m Reach. All sizes unhook very well surprisingly. The kite was designed to surf, foil, boost and loop. Normally there’s always a trade off but this kite in every size has been so fun to fly. When you first launch this kite, especially in the 12m and 15m you’ll notice the light bar pressure right away. It almost feels there’s not enough. But as soon as you dive the kite the bar pressure is exactly what it should be. Medium to light which makes handle passing a breeze. The 15m was designed the be very light in the sky (lighter bladders, less Dacron etc.) so the kite is light. This allows the kite to almost float with the lines slacked. It’s hard to explain, however when you load and pop this kite feels floaty without being ripped off the water like a bow kite. But then parks itself giving you plenty of slack without sacrificing low end capabilities like most freestyle/wakestyle kites. That being said, you won’t get stuck in lightwind with the Reach in the water. The 12m and 15m will relaunch in a puff of wind. The Reach 15m is perfect for those light wind half load and powered up freestyle/wakestyle sessions. You’ll also notice the Reach does not back stall. It’s tuned perfectly right out of the bag. The Reach will be my next quiver, with the 15m being my go to lightwind wakestyle kite. I flew the 14m Pulse last week in Hood River. Amazing wakestyle kite especially in the 14m, however the Reach is going relaunch it bit easier and can be used in a wide array of styles such as foiling, surf, boosting. The advantage of the Reach is going to be low end and relaunch. If you’re a dedicated wakestyle rider I’d recommend the Pulse. If you enjoy unhooking, but also see yourself foiling, doing boardoffs etc the Reach is the choice. The only disadvantage of the 15m Reach is not having friends to unhook with in lightwinds.

I hope this answered your question. If you have any questions on North Kites shoot me a message. I’ve flown almost every model and size in most wind conditions. I’ve also been kiting for 13+ years and have flown most brands.

🤙🏼
Nickcallejo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 pm
I’m a wakestyle rider and got the chance to ride the 15 meter reach in the Kite park in Cape Hatteras. The kite is an absolute weapon for freestyle/wakestyle light wind riding. The low end power and light three strut design gives you a nice sturdy feel on any features your hitting without sacrificing turning speed or upwind capability. In simple terms the reach will keep you juiced up long after everyone else has resorted to their foil.
Cheers, sounds promising. I'll def. hit up north distribution to see if i can demo one.
Would also be interesting to see how it compares to Cab Contra in 15/17 :D

I’ve flown contras in the past. Contras and the Reach are totally different kites. Contras pull hard when powered but were awesome in light winds. Unlike the Contra, the Reach has an amazing high end. The Contra would turn into a truck in it’s high end. I found that the Reach becomeS super playful and boosty when powered up. You have to try the Reach, i personally believe this is going to be the kite choice for many. The Reach likes to be flown in every condition.

patternw
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Michigan
Style: Surf, Wakestyle, Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: North Reach and Carve

Postby patternw » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:34 am

I've ridden both the Orbit and Reach personally, and really am a fan of both. That being said, they are distinctly different.

The Orbit is great powered up. Anything but, and I feel the kite lacks a bit. When it's well powered, the Orbit rocks. Massive jumps, very stable, loads of hangtime, powerful loops - you get the drill. King of the Air kind of kite. If you're wanting to do anything else with it, leave it on the beach - especially if the wind is light.

The Reach on the other hand is a jack of all trades and a master of some. It's a load of fun on a twin tip, foils exceptionally well, surfs great. If you own more than just a twin tip, buy this kite.
These users thanked the author patternw for the post (total 2):
windsuks (Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 pm) • Jeremey76 (Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:51 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

BE_Kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 94
Local Beach: Belgium - Heist - Anemos
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Best Waroo 9 2009 - 13 2013

Postby BE_Kiter » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi,

I'm changing gear this year and the Reach attracted my attention because of the overal positive reviews!
I'll test one if the wind condition in Belgium are good.
I am though a little bit conservative and wonder if it would be a good guess to switch to the "new North". I have fate in the team and management but a 1st release is always risky.

Anyway, interesting discussion about the build factory in Sri Lanka. Is it really Aqua Dynamics (http://www.aquadynamics.eu)
I've checked the video and apparently they have also made (old) North EVO 2014 10's :-) see image
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-11 om 11.37.20.png
These users thanked the author BE_Kiter for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:20 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

luca
Medium Poster

Postby luca » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Yeah try the Reach if you can.
There is nothing risky. I am in Croatia at the moment and many Orbits and Reach here with an impressive feedback.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core
Brand Affiliation: Ukraine Slingshot Team Rider

Postby zloilyoha » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 pm

any personal experience with Reach 13???
friend of mine (very skilled rider) told me - everything is ok except the depower.
can someone comment it, please?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:20 pm

BE_Kiter wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:52 pm
... a 1st release is always risky ...
Which is why I try to avoid the 1st release of anything, not only kites. :thumb:

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 am

Tried a 12m Reach with bar. Loved everything about the kite. Fast, great power, perfect bar pressure (which is lighter but still great feedback). Fantastic kite!

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblade 12m 2012
Peak4 8m
Wam 6"
Trax 132
Slingshot Hoverglide H5 / H3 / H4

Postby LeoLeal » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Can anybody tell me about the range of the Reach 11m². Its says 10-25 knots on TT, if its true is sweet. I wanna use with surfboard most of the time at low end.

Return to “Kitesurfing”