Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Launches The Reach

Forum for kitesurfers
StellaBlu
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:19 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:38 pm

I haven't been on this kite but am also very interested to know the real wind range across the size range. I am skeptical of the wind ranges they are advertising, particularly at the low end and feel like they must reflect a surfboard or foil (or a child sized rider) and not a TT. Feels unrealistic that a normal sized rider is riding a TT at the lower end of the range on these kites. If the wind ranges are real, then this is a pretty remarkable kite.

potts6449
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:05 am
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Texas City Levee
Gear: 12m RPM, 9m RPM, 11 Duotone Mono
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby potts6449 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:13 am

StellaBlu wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:38 pm
I haven't been on this kite but am also very interested to know the real wind range across the size range. I am skeptical of the wind ranges they are advertising, particularly at the low end and feel like they must reflect a surfboard or foil (or a child sized rider) and not a TT. Feels unrealistic that a normal sized rider is riding a TT at the lower end of the range on these kites. If the wind ranges are real, then this is a pretty remarkable kite.
Have you gotten any feedback anywhere else/any additional info on the wind range of the Reaches? I am in the market and am curious myself.

Pol Kiter
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone, Flysurfer, North...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Pol Kiter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 am

Any idea when the Reach will be renewed? Will it be mid-season like last year?
Thanks

luca
Medium Poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby luca » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm

The new sizes were just released a few weeks ago.
Normally mid next year I think.

User avatar
jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:17 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby jkrug » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm

i recently got the Reach 7M and 9M. I got to say I'm on the fence about these kites. They do have the right amount of bar pressure for me, which is very little. So far, I've just used them for foiling, and it's been a bit of a struggle. They really do stall out quite a bit, and when you get them 're-engaged', there is a big pull. this isn't good for foiling. you have to really fly these kites to keep them from stalling. when they're in their sweet zone, they're great, but unfortunately, i haven't really figured out what that zone is. most often, i find these kites like to be flown in their upper range and aren't so good in their low range. i haven't yet had them out on a TT or surfboard, which i'm hoping will be better as I wouldn't be dealing with their lower ranges in either of those. For now, regards foiling only, all i can say is these kites are fidgety and require attention while flying.

huge
Medium Poster
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby huge » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:33 pm

I received my 12, I will be trying it out soon and let you know my impressions

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:25 pm

jkrug wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm
i recently got the Reach 7M and 9M. I got to say I'm on the fence about these kites. They do have the right amount of bar pressure for me, which is very little. So far, I've just used them for foiling, and it's been a bit of a struggle. They really do stall out quite a bit, and when you get them 're-engaged', there is a big pull. this isn't good for foiling. you have to really fly these kites to keep them from stalling. when they're in their sweet zone, they're great, but unfortunately, i haven't really figured out what that zone is. most often, i find these kites like to be flown in their upper range and aren't so good in their low range. i haven't yet had them out on a TT or surfboard, which i'm hoping will be better as I wouldn't be dealing with their lower ranges in either of those. For now, regards foiling only, all i can say is these kites are fidgety and require attention while flying.
Thanks for posting the feedback.

I write this as an employee of North so with that stated I am absolutely loving my Reaches for foiling. In the past 2 seasons I think I've ridden a lot of the major brand single strut kites on the market and I have to say I love the Reach for foiling. It stays in the air in super light conditions (I'd say very comparable to the best 1 struts and better than many of the other) and I must say I'm really liking how smooth and stable it is by comparison.

It does sit further forward in the window than some of the more foil specific kites and certainly than most wave kites so I'd agree I can get it out of position when I'm lit and riding hard downwind or if I fluff a turn really badly. Having said that I'm not that good at foiling yet and this can happen on any kite. I am doing pretty much all my foiling on the 7 and 9. If I can't get going on my 9m it's usually not really a viable session and my 7m is good up to the very top of the range I'll likely foil in. I'll probably add a 5m Reach next Spring.

I can add I just had an epic surfboard session on the 7 and 8m Reach this weekend.

Please post some more feedback when you've tried it some more and used some other styles of boards.

luca
Medium Poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby luca » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:07 pm

jkrug wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm
i recently got the Reach 7M and 9M. I got to say I'm on the fence about these kites. They do have the right amount of bar pressure for me, which is very little. So far, I've just used them for foiling, and it's been a bit of a struggle. They really do stall out quite a bit, and when you get them 're-engaged', there is a big pull. this isn't good for foiling. you have to really fly these kites to keep them from stalling. when they're in their sweet zone, they're great, but unfortunately, i haven't really figured out what that zone is. most often, i find these kites like to be flown in their upper range and aren't so good in their low range. i haven't yet had them out on a TT or surfboard, which i'm hoping will be better as I wouldn't be dealing with their lower ranges in either of those. For now, regards foiling only, all i can say is these kites are fidgety and require attention while flying.
Sounds strange. All ok with the line lengths? I am using the 12 for foiling. Very easy to handle, good drfit. It only backstalls a bit if the wind goes down to 7/8 knots.

Here is full test with foil, wave and TT. https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/

User avatar
jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:17 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby jkrug » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:26 pm

my bar and lines are almost brand new, so the bar isn't a problem. i was out today again foiling, and it was in the 12-20 mph range. it was probably my best session so far on the 9M, and it only back stalled once. the odd part about these back stalls is that they're very difficult to recover from, i.e., once the kite starts drifting down to the water, even though i'm pulling/pumping like crazy on the front lines, it's tough to keep it out of the water. looping would be better, but i keep thinking it'll come back up...and then it's too late to loop. so i got to figure out how best to handle this aspect of the kite. when it's not back stalling, it really is a fun kite.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby TheJoe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:19 am

jkrug wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:26 pm
my bar and lines are almost brand new, so the bar isn't a problem. i was out today again foiling, and it was in the 12-20 mph range. it was probably my best session so far on the 9M, and it only back stalled once. the odd part about these back stalls is that they're very difficult to recover from, i.e., once the kite starts drifting down to the water, even though i'm pulling/pumping like crazy on the front lines, it's tough to keep it out of the water. looping would be better, but i keep thinking it'll come back up...and then it's too late to loop. so i got to figure out how best to handle this aspect of the kite. when it's not back stalling, it really is a fun kite.
Man I have not had this issue at all outside of once on my 7m and once on my 9m. Both of those cases the wind just died out. On the 7m I was able to relaunch the kite the 9m was a complete wash cuz the wind was dead. I even play around with back stalling them. All I have to do is start pointing upwind and the kites recover.

Are you trying to go out in the very bottom of their low end? Maybe the wind is less on the water. What size lines you using? I'm using 20m so there is a little less drag from that. Are you inland or ocean, humid or dry air. Just trying to figure out what could be this issue.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 21 guests