Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Launches The Reach

Forum for kitesurfers
madis_and_kite
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:46 pm
Local Beach: Estonia, Vääna-Jõesuu
Style: Bigair/kiteloops
Gear: Eleveight RS7-9-12, Commander 137
Brand Affiliation: Co-Owner of No Work Surf Club and Surfikaubamaja
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby madis_and_kite » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:06 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 pm
luca wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:04 pm
I am really impressed what the new North and the team launched within the first year. awesome quality and performance. My stuff is really hard used and it is still in perfect conditions in comparison to my F-One and Duotone stuff I had before. F-One kites after 1 saison are totally rocked down, Duotone Bar looked like my lines are 10 years old... and I am changing my stuff every saison.
1. No surprise there, North = rebranded Cabrinha and they were always known for top quality.
2. New North have only been around for few months so no real feedback on durability but should be good if like Cabrinha.
3. F-One and Duotone make top stuff (apart from Duotone lines/new F-One lines are excellent). I ride 200+ days per year and no durability issue with either and I don't change all my equipment every season.
Very interesting to read.

My shop is selling Eleveight and Cabrinha. The amount of warranty cases with Cabrinha is just insane. We probably sell 10% Cabrinha and 90% Eleveight, but we have much more trouble with Cabrinha kites and lines.

I also repair kites and are often surprised about people talking how good quality is F-One. For about 2 years now big part of repairing is changing Bandits cracked valves. On some kites I have already changed 3 valves. And every year they still have the same valves with the same material. Local dealer, I think, can't handle the warranty cases anymore so it's easier for people to pay me for quick valve change. I keep good stock of F-One valves because of that. F-One also has problems with lines.

Cheers.

Image
Image
Image
These users thanked the author madis_and_kite for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:10 pm) • TheRussian (Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:42 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:33 pm

madis_and_kite wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:06 am
windmaker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 pm
luca wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:04 pm
I am really impressed what the new North and the team launched within the first year. awesome quality and performance. My stuff is really hard used and it is still in perfect conditions in comparison to my F-One and Duotone stuff I had before. F-One kites after 1 saison are totally rocked down, Duotone Bar looked like my lines are 10 years old... and I am changing my stuff every saison.
1. No surprise there, North = rebranded Cabrinha and they were always known for top quality.
2. New North have only been around for few months so no real feedback on durability but should be good if like Cabrinha.
3. F-One and Duotone make top stuff (apart from Duotone lines/new F-One lines are excellent). I ride 200+ days per year and no durability issue with either and I don't change all my equipment every season.
Very interesting to read.

My shop is selling Eleveight and Cabrinha. The amount of warranty cases with Cabrinha is just insane. We probably sell 10% Cabrinha and 90% Eleveight, but we have much more trouble with Cabrinha kites and lines.

Please note that the new North kites are not made in the same facility (or even country) as Cabrinha. North had a completely blank slate to start with and sourced the materials they wanted to use and built or developed the parts you'll see in the new line.

It's a bit dated now but there's some great insight into NKB's design on this podcast:
http://kitesurf365.com/pat-goodman-episode-105

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 40702
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 534 times
Contact:

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Why was it moved Matt ?

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6451
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:47 pm
Why was it moved Matt ?
Cabrinha gear is (was?) made exclusively in Neil Pryde factories.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:07 pm
Toby wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:47 pm
Why was it moved Matt ?
Cabrinha gear is (was?) made exclusively in Neil Pryde factories.
North chose what they deemed to be the best place for them to make kites and landed on a facility in Sri Lanka. This facility has a history of making kites and builds for some other well-know brands. North Sails also has a long history of making products in Sri Lanka and also has "boots on the ground" in Sri Lanka so this is a good fit for the brand. It's not fair for me to suggest one facility or country is better than the other I'd just like it to be clear that from a materials and manufacturing perspective North kites were started new/fresh/whatever and there's no connection with other brands' production.
These users thanked the author mattaiken MYS NKB for the post:
Toby (Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
Youtch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Youtch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Eleveight is also producing in Sri Lanka in the same sailor factory potentially.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Youtch wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:49 pm
Eleveight is also producing in Sri Lanka in the same sailor factory potentially.
I can neither confirm or deny this.

User avatar
Youtch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Youtch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Well. How many old school boat sails fabricant doing kite there must be in Sri Lanka...

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:30 pm

Youtch wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm
Well. How many old school boat sails fabricant doing kite there must be in Sri Lanka...
It's fair to say there's not many kite manufacturing facilities in Sri Lanka

caduo
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:15 am
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby caduo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:54 pm

think it s the same factory that also duotone is using.cabrinha is using neil pryde factory that produce only cabrinha kites,using their own material and not teijin cloth and as far as I know that's why they faced some financial problems,cause is probably hard for a factory to survive producing only for one brand,but i may be wrong.
never had and know nothing about f one but I am quite surprise to hear that cabrinha has so many warranty issues,I think even never read something like that in any forum,can you be more specific to know what to expect from my kites?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Badgast, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Grizwald, hugosa, Kitehume, longwhitecloud, Yahoo [Bot] and 29 guests