Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Launches The Reach

Forum for kitesurfers
Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Launches The Reach

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed May 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Youtch wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm
The Evo of 2020 is also pulley less, correct?
Correct

haseeb
Rare Poster
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby haseeb » Wed May 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Excellent kite this new North model, much better than the old Neo.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Thu May 28, 2020 3:45 pm

North dealers across the USA have Reach kites in stock and for demo. Here's Aaron from Elite Watersports in St Petersburgh Florida with his early impressions on the Reach. Shot in 1 take, no edits, no script (the man's a pro).

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 am

Got a chance to fly a 12m in high teens low 20s and was impressed by it. Fast kite very fun to fly. Might switch to these but want to try a few other all around kites. Hang time and jumping is pretty good. I did unhook but only did a few raley's since it was very choppy. It did slack a little bit but honestly did not really even think of passing. Never crashed the kite so not sure how the relaunch is. I don't like the North bar. Foam is too soft for my liking and I don't like adjustable bar lengths. It's just more that could break.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 am
Got a chance to fly a 12m in high teens low 20s and was impressed by it. Fast kite very fun to fly. Might switch to these but want to try a few other all around kites. Hang time and jumping is pretty good. I did unhook but only did a few raley's since it was very choppy. It did slack a little bit but honestly did not really even think of passing. Never crashed the kite so not sure how the relaunch is. I don't like the North bar. Foam is too soft for my liking and I don't like adjustable bar lengths. It's just more that could break.
Have you ever ridden Pivots? If so how do these kites compare? Look very similar to me.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Fri May 29, 2020 3:57 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and glad you like the kite. Bar finish/feel is a personal thing for sure, we've heard it's too hard, we've heard it's too soft. Did you notice the Navigator bar's asymmetrical grip? Idea being you can tell if the bar is upside down by feel. Thanks for the review.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TheJoe » Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am

Kiterisland wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 pm
TheJoe wrote:
Have you ever ridden Pivots? If so how do these kites compare? Look very similar to me.
Sorry no I have not.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TheJoe » Sat May 30, 2020 10:35 am

mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:57 pm
TheJoe wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and glad you like the kite. Bar finish/feel is a personal thing for sure, we've heard it's too hard, we've heard it's too soft. Did you notice the Navigator bar's asymmetrical grip? Idea being you can tell if the bar is upside down by feel. Thanks for the review.
Honestly I did not like that either. I'm sure some people will like and it is not a bad idea but for me personally it did not feel natural.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm

I have been testing out the Reach for about a week now. I am pretty impressed with it so far. I have 7m and 9m and have been mainly foiling with them. The first thing I noticed is how light and nimble they feel in the sky. The bar pressure is really nice. Light but not too light. You still get decent pullback from the kite in turns. I found that I could fly them pretty much blind immediately. The stability at the zenith is really good. The kite sits at 12 without trying to stall over me, even in really light winds. It also does not drop to one side very fast. I had an incident where I almost lost my watch, and had to dive for it with the kite at 12 and the kite was still over me after I came back up after at least 20 seconds. I was expecting the kite to have dropped to one side of the window.

Regarding the Bar. I for one like the finger bars the way they are. They are comfortable in my hands. The bar is also just very clean. The safety line being inside the depower line is great and I don't shred my fingers on it. The Click In Release works really well and I love that I can change out the loop without tools.

And as a foiler the coolest thing I found is that the Kite Bag has a hard grooved patch on the shoulder strap to protect your shoulder when you are carrying your assembled foil to the beach. It shows me a real foiler is involved in the bag design :-)

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
mattaiken MYS NKB (Sun May 31, 2020 3:33 am)
Rating: 8.33%

luca
Medium Poster

Postby luca » Sat May 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Same for me. The bar is perfect for me. Clean, very good quality, like the feeling to know which side is right without looking at it.
I will try the Reach very soon too. I bought a 12m for foiling, freeride and freestyle. In addition I am using 7,9 Orbit. Will buy a 5m Orbit too. They are so fantastic. In 12m the Orbit is awesome too, but at my homespots the wind goes down to 6 knots sometimes and then up to 15/18 knots again and for that a 5 strut is a little to heavy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”