Style: Freeride, with ATB and on Snow, Rideup
Gear: Kitefactory 2012 Maori, FS Peak4 5m, Fixed-Bride 4 Liners
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Infexion Max bar / Seatbelt Quick Release

Postby Fightsurfer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:13 pm

Hello Evan,

well thanks again for your quick reply.

Just to clear some things 367kg = 360DaN = 3.6Kn = 3600N So 500DaN is well above the minimum ISO breaking load (with the tested failing load up to 600DaN on my rig) unless there are riders weighing more than 170kg
EDIT: Well yesterday Night I was too tired and already admited that I mixed up the SI Units and their Potency. But actually I didnt, and was perfectly aware of the units and converted them properly ;o) But, I quote since days another wrong number: Climbing Gear is not rated for 2.2kN but 22kN!

And this is what I tried to ask you:
I like to have a 22kN, like for a Fall Factor 2, designed QR.
So to get back to my initial question:
Would you consider to upgrade your Buckle to match 22kN? Your CAD/FEM Software for sure easily enables you to change the material alloys to quickly check if the request requires alot of effort or maybe can be realized with some simple changes?

I did reply about the metal insert, you really think it will lower the friction even further?
Sorry, my mistake I have skipped that.
Well, Polymers, exp. self lubricating with MoS2 integrated, for sure will be enough in terms of abrasion resistance.
But for a little tweaking of the surface resistance values, I would like to try it on my own.
If you could simply offer a second variant in the future whenever you have time for that, I think some enthusiast would love to try it.
On paper, when comparing the SK bars and yours, its some minor reason for me to spend the ridiculous amount of 399€ for the bar instead of 229€ for yours. It would maybe be just a purchase for the sake of having it and not worrying about it any further.

Besides that, I would even replace the PU tubing with a Teflon tubing like the KauperXT Pinxto Bar uses, to get the friction to the lowest value possible! So it would be a great meet with some Stainless Steel insert.

Needed also a stronger leash to apply for the ISO certification
Well, Certifications can be damn expensive, I know that.

But there legally is a difference between "tested" and "certified".

I would already be happy enough with "tested" equipment, which requires some external institution to test them. Something like the german TÜV or the german PTB (Physikalische Technische Bundesanstalt), or even Universities with Material Science Departments, offer such service for 100-200€. For sure there is smth similar in the Netherlands. If not I can give you the contacts of my University Professor, we performed such tests as service in my Department for regular "civilians" or Companys back when I was studying there.

By this you can say, with an external proof by some certified institution, that the claims you make are backuped.
Because I do not trust any inhouse meter, neither to be calibrated, nor to be precise, nor to be the fitting equipment and offering the necessary refresh rates on the sensors, because I actually by myself studied material science (for metals, Im not too good with ceramics, conductors and polymers) which is why I am quite sensitive for the reason that many industrys conduct tests and publish their results based on bad equipment.

Greets

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Fightsurfer wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:13 pm

And this is what I tried to ask you:
I like to have a 22kN, like for a Fall Factor 2, designed QR.
So to get back to my initial question:
Would you consider to upgrade your Buckle to match 22kN? Your CAD/FEM Software for sure easily enables you to change the material alloys to quickly check if the request requires alot of effort or maybe can be realized with some simple changes?
Sorry for the late reply.

22KN requires A LOT of changes to make the quick release more than 4x as strong, even the 6mm steel swivel it is based on only has a breaking load of 14kN. But why would you want it that strong? All parts of kiting are designed around that maximum load in the range of 3-5kN (300-500kg). Any (shock) load way above those figures will for sure see you breaking eiter the lines, trim system, harness or the kite itself.
Climbing gear is designed to withstand and absorb a 10m+ free fall, you can't compare that to the loads we experience in kiting.

Sorry, my mistake I have skipped that.
Well, Polymers, exp. self lubricating with MoS2 integrated, for sure will be enough in terms of abrasion resistance.
But for a little tweaking of the surface resistance values, I would like to try it on my own.
If you could simply offer a second variant in the future whenever you have time for that, I think some enthusiast would love to try it.
On paper, when comparing the SK bars and yours, its some minor reason for me to spend the ridiculous amount of 399€ for the bar instead of 229€ for yours. It would maybe be just a purchase for the sake of having it and not worrying about it any further.

Besides that, I would even replace the PU tubing with a Teflon tubing like the KauperXT Pinxto Bar uses, to get the friction to the lowest value possible! So it would be a great meet with some Stainless Steel insert.
Those bars have a very narrow center hole, especially kaupers bar. So any twisting induced on the bar will make it have more friction. We opted for a wide center hole so you can move the bar more freely, combined with a nylon insert and the right flexible Pu covered depower cord this gives the least amount of friction, ease of use and longest lasting depower cord. We push the PU tube on both ends of the depower cord partly over the thicker splice to ensure there is no possibility to get any sand inside it, this way the PU will wear down with the rope inside staying like new until it is exposed by grinding the tube all the way down after countless of hours.

Teflon tubes are quite stiff so they can't be forced over the splices, making the rope inside wear down before the tube without any visible clue. Something we think is unsafe as it makes it hard for a quick visible inspection.
Other downside about the stiffness is rolling up the bar and when steering beyond the maximum angle the center hole allows for, giving increases forces to bend the tube in an S-curve through the bar. Something you have way less with a more flexible depower cord is our experience.
These users thanked the author evan for the post (total 2):
Fightsurfer (Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:25 pm) • nixmatters (Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:45 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:11 pm

I kept losing the small plastic part that hold the rings together at the end of the depower, so I made a different design that cannot fall off. This one holds the D-ring in between two parts, and the big ring can be fed through and then when assembled you rotate the big ring and click it in place. printed on a resin printer, there are screw holes to hold it together but it's not needed as it's pretty tight fit.

I also made it so you have the option of running the safety trough a differnet hole as the depower rope, as it's a bit smoother on my bar and that how it runs on the original QR as well. So i run the safety trough the purple part at the moment.

I made it bigger than the original, because its'a a little bit easier to click in that way for me. It's only about 25 gramms so not noticable.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 15.51.04.png
Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 15.50.04.png
20220609_160501.jpg
20220609_155800.jpg

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:39 am

ieism wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:11 pm
I kept losing the small plastic part that hold the rings together at the end of the depower, so I made a different design that cannot fall off. This one holds the D-ring in between two parts, and the big ring can be fed through and then when assembled you rotate the big ring and click it in place. printed on a resin printer, there are screw holes to hold it together but it's not needed as it's pretty tight fit.

I also made it so you have the option of running the safety trough a differnet hole as the depower rope, as it's a bit smoother on my bar and that how it runs on the original QR as well. So i run the safety trough the purple part at the moment.

I made it bigger than the original, because its'a a little bit easier to click in that way for me. It's only about 25 gramms so not noticable.
Extremely nice! Only one of my bars won't hold the little ring and I've thought about just gluing it. Since I just got into 3D printing, this sounds like a fun project. Have the .stl?

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:39 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:39 am
ieism wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:11 pm

Extremely nice! Only one of my bars won't hold the little ring and I've thought about just gluing it. Since I just got into 3D printing, this sounds like a fun project. Have the .stl?
For sure, anyone who wants the STL. File just send me a message with you email address.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
Adventure Logs (Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:29 pm

In this example what purpose does the D-ring have?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:50 pm

alford wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:29 pm
In this example what purpose does the D-ring have?
That's the safety flag out hook in.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:42 pm

Three pieces to take the place of one. Just saying.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:02 pm

The original piece on mine broke. Evan sent me a couple replacements of new material. Got the impression it was an issue with the original material. No issues so far.

Return to “Kitesurfing”