Forum for kitesurfers
rembo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wave SST - Upwind?!

Postby rembo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:50 pm

The trick is to go fast. Get up to speed and it will go upwind without a problem.
Steer the kite in. Get up to speed and edge only then.
Just cruising around comfortably won't get you upwind.

Took me a while to figure out as well.

GJibb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF NV V8 15
LF WOW V2 12/9
TT/SB/HF

Postby GJibb » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:34 pm

I don't think anyone was suggesting that it isn't possible to go upwind with the SST.
My thoughts would be that it just is A LOT more effort than MANY other surf/foil/freeride(ish) kites. If I'm spending an ungodly amount on a kite I better love it.

BUT I'm sure there's a fair amount of people that like the SST and have better use of theirs...
Also, the kite size makes a big difference.

I put a solid 2-3 years of effort with the SST and I know that it isn't the kite for me.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core
Brand Affiliation: Ukraine Slingshot Team Rider

Postby zloilyoha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:18 am

i rode waves with an 8 SST on 18 meters lines a few seasons in a Cape Town and never had any problems with its upwind abilities...

fguinda
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sotogrande, Spain
Tarifa, Spain
Estepona, Spain
Style: Straplesss
Gear: Slingshot

Postby fguinda » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:31 pm

I´ve had SSTs for many years and no complains about going upwind. Very happy with this model. Kind of high bar pressure but better wave kite (drifting, jumping, all round) than others that I´ve tested (Bandit-S, NEOs, Slash). Its also very important about what board you´re using and your technique.

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Just a thought from many years riding slingshot kites, their design ethos and the way they fly. I have been flying and enjoying them since the first Fuels, and the trick upwind has always been good technique and board selection. Its the kind of kite that will let you know where it is and deliver rock steady performance in all conditions, well made and lines and bar are what every manufacture should strive for - as an overall package hard to beat. Their stability does come from the ability to to stay in the air with control, because they don't hunt for the edge of the wind window as much - hence the stability, but they can be coerced into that mode with good kite and board control, and anything other than upwind, I find it hard to find anything better. Still find I use them as a yardstick against any kite and have not found other brands ahead in overall performance.
I do ride a set of Ozones that I like a lot and have been enjoying them for sometime, and do have easier upwind and comparable quality (still rate the Slingy bar and lines as supreme) . I still yearn for a 9m Fuel (my all round best kite ever in good conditions), and love the all-round RPM's that are Fuel's with manners but no substitute. In general Slingshots sacrifice easy upwind for overall ride-ability.
I have been a kite flier, designer and maker since 1977 and respect Slingshots gear since their inception, they aren't infallible but have been a benchmark I trust.
if you desire an easier upwind kite, then I would say the ozone range may be an option or others, but there may be a hole in your enjoyment.
If you find a board that works for your SST you may be a convert as well, I myself have been reinvigorated with my latest find - a 2017 Celeritas has been working for me a whole lately.

usa
Medium Poster

Postby usa » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 pm

True Words! The SST is for me every year again a comeback-kite. I tried often to replace it with other Kites, but at the end the abilities of drifting downwind, easy waterstart, stability of the kite itself (since 4x4 canopy), stab. in the air and fast turning is what I need for foiling and waveboard. For me it´s the perfect kite for what I want. Always depends for what you need it and what your main-criterias are.

Currently I have the Ghost, not bad, but the SST has better tension on backlines in lower winds or while jibing with foils. Important point for my riding.

petato2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,

Postby petato2 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:35 pm

My experience, I rode an SST 10 for a while and did not experience difficulties in going upwind.

I end up moving to a different brand. The reasons, the SST feels to me a bit high presure on the bar, and pulls too much in turns which is not that good for me in waves.

Anyway is all personal feelings, it is a great kite you need to get used to, and for me it did not feel bad in going upwind.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:25 am

I am riding the SSTs for some years now. And I have never experienced that I have more problems going upwind than other kiters. Including many riders that are same level as I am. That goes for riding it with Celeritas, Celero, SS Sci-Fly and Firewire Vader. When I want to go extra high upwind I have in mind not to pull the bar too hard as not to pull the kite further back into the window. And when the wind is more on the light side I ride the kite higher. 10-11 o´clock maybe. Certainly there are kites that are easier to go upwind with. The SS Rally for example (havnt tried the GT yet). But for my style of riding surf- and foilboards the SSTs suit me much better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”