Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Becoming a Kitesurfing Instructor

Forum for kitesurfers
HALF
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 88
Gear: 9m Cabrinha Radar (2016), 12m Reedin Supermodel, 12m Cabrinha Convert(2010), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 14m Airush Ultra v2 (2019), 15m Flysurfer Soul(2018), 19m Spleene X(2010)

Re: Becoming a Kitesurfing Instructor

Postby HALF » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:13 pm

A friend that was a instructor in Tarifa last year was kiting more when he was away on some trip than when he was there - when there is wind, you have students to teach, and no time to kite for fun.

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M
Core XR5 10 /12 / 17M,
Moses Onda / Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby leeuwen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 pm

HALF wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:13 pm
A friend that was a instructor in Tarifa last year was kiting more when he was away on some trip than when he was there - when there is wind, you have students to teach, and no time to kite for fun.

Indeed, I think your primary passion and skill should be teaching people things.

I would take a class of a good teacher with medium kite skills over a bad teacher with excellent kite skills.

If you have ever tried to teach anything with physical skills and technique you will know it is easy to tell that *something* is going wrong but very hard to tell what exactly is causing the problem.
Especially people who are very good at something seem to have a harder time teaching things because they are a natural talent and they “just did it”.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:35 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Baptiste_FR
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:30 pm

HALF wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:02 pm
Also if you want to teach in Spain you need a license from a Spanish federation, not IKO. I think this is unique to Spain, but other countries may decide to implement similar rules in the future.
Yes, in many countries, you can teach with an IKO certification. However, in some other, you need specific certification.
It is the case, at least, in France (BPJEPS needed, which is a 9-12 month formation) and in Spain (Andalusia more specifically) where you'll need a certification from the FAV.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:30 pm
HALF wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:02 pm
Also if you want to teach in Spain you need a license from a Spanish federation, not IKO. I think this is unique to Spain, but other countries may decide to implement similar rules in the future.
Yes, in many countries, you can teach with an IKO certification. However, in some other, you need specific certification.
It is the case, at least, in France (BPJEPS needed, which is a 9-12 month formation) and in Spain (Andalusia more specifically) where you'll need a certification from the FAV.
True, countries with their own federation (there's more and more) will not accept other qualifications than their own especially if they have lower standards (5 days for IKO as opposed to 9-12 months for France :)).

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm

In some cases, the school that hires you will reimburse the cost of your license. So, if you know where you want to work, contact the schools in that area to see what their policies are. As others have said, different schools require different licenses, so it's preferable to build a relationship with your future employer before getting your license. Logistics don't always allow you to do this, but it could save you some money if you know where you want to work.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:09 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 pm
HALF wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:13 pm

I would take a class of a good teacher with medium kite skills over a bad teacher with excellent kite skills.

:D Like choosing between pest and cholera.

It shouldn't be a choice. An instructor should be a good teacher with excellent kite skills.

A tennis or piano teacher with poor or average skills has no credibility. How do some kite instructors get away with it?

Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Postby Seawolf » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:40 pm

It shouldn't be a choice. An instructor should be a good teacher with excellent kite skills.

A tennis or piano teacher with poor or average skills has no credibility. How do some kite instructors get away with it?
Dont think you need to be a excellent kiter to teach beginners. A good eye and manage to individualise the teaching will get most people up and going.
To coach intermediates and beyond you need skills.

HALF
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 88
Gear: 9m Cabrinha Radar (2016), 12m Reedin Supermodel, 12m Cabrinha Convert(2010), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 14m Airush Ultra v2 (2019), 15m Flysurfer Soul(2018), 19m Spleene X(2010)

Postby HALF » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:50 pm

Almost no one is teaching intermediates and beyond, at least this is what I was told when I asked my friend what happens if someone better than him comes to learn tricks for example.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm

Doing lessons is fun, until its not.

I met many cool people and made many good friends. Even a couple girls😉

When you get someone that doest listen its a nightmare. Older men are the worst. They don't listen well, know everything, think they are stronger than the kite, or are overconfident.

Communication skills are super important. You have to learn how much instruction to give and when to give it. To many tips at once and they cant absorb it. After a while you learn exactly what to say and when to say it. Generally everybody learns the same way, just some quicker than others.

I always taught very strong and reflexive kite skills before the board was ever introduced. Some places will force you to rush the board on people. Kiting is a symphony. So learning all the parts before you play the song helps.

You wont make great money teaching for someone else.

It is physically exhausting teaching all day and the sun sucks. Big stupid hat is a must. The sun will give you cancer and wreck your skin.

You will be in great shape but be to tired to kite at the end of the day.

You have to have a lot of patience and enjoy teaching. When you have a student that gets it, and you see that giant smile it’s pretty cool to share with them. And when you see people you taught out there killing it you feel like a proud papa. So it can be very rewarding in that regard.

Be a safety N@zi, don't kill anybody.

I wouldn’t want to do lessons 5 days a week it would kill the love of kiting. My advise would be 3-4 days a week and bartend at night. The lessons will give you a sculpted tan body and the bar will get you money and all the tail you have the energy for.

Wish i was a younger man again.
These users thanked the author Daversj for the post (total 3):
knotwindy (Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 pm) • BenBen (Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:44 pm) • duncanidaho50 (Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:40 am)
Rating: 20%

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, GIN and HQ kites.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Daversj wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm
Doing lessons is fun, until its not.

I met many cool people and made many good friends. Even a couple girls😉

When you get someone that doest listen its a nightmare. Older men are the worst. They don't listen well, know everything, think they are stronger than the kite, or are overconfident.

Communication skills are super important. You have to learn how much instruction to give and when to give it. To many tips at once and they cant absorb it. After a while you learn exactly what to say and when to say it. Generally everybody learns the same way, just some quicker than others.

I always taught very strong and reflexive kite skills before the board was ever introduced. Some places will force you to rush the board on people. Kiting is a symphony. So learning all the parts before you play the song helps.

You wont make great money teaching for someone else.

It is physically exhausting teaching all day and the sun sucks. Big stupid hat is a must. The sun will give you cancer and wreck your skin.

You will be in great shape but be to tired to kite at the end of the day.

You have to have a lot of patience and enjoy teaching. When you have a student that gets it, and you see that giant smile it’s pretty cool to share with them. And when you see people you taught out there killing it you feel like a proud papa. So it can be very rewarding in that regard.

Be a safety N@zi, don't kill anybody.

I wouldn’t want to do lessons 5 days a week it would kill the love of kiting. My advise would be 3-4 days a week and bartend at night. The lessons will give you a sculpted tan body and the bar will get you money and all the tail you have the energy for.

Wish i was a younger man again.
A lot of truth in these words.

Return to “Kitesurfing”