Favorite Beaches: Ainsdale
Lytham
Gear: Ozone Octane
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to kite flying

Postby Michbeer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:39 pm

My partner today flew my 4 line kite and ultimately face planted the ground. But by doing so has got a determination to learn to fly kites.

Can anyone suggest a good 2 line starter kite that she won't grow out of too quickly?

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Re: New to kite flying

Postby Ice101 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Just pay her to have a few lessons on water. Stay safe and learn properly.

andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness

Postby andikite » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:24 am

If you go kiting, pay for lessons is to waste money in my opinion, but be patient my friend.

Any way if you want to pay for having lessons or not I always give the same advice. Before lessons take any 2 lines trainer kite (1,5/2 meters kite) and learn to fly at the beach. Many people use a big part of the lessons learning to fly a kite on ground. 2/3 hours it's not enough to take a good control. For this reason, take any 2 lines kite until she break it is the best choice. Please, don't hook her to your hinchable kite yet!

Any 2 lines trainer kite on second hand market it's good.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:42 am

If you are serious about learning, take lessons. Shorten the learning curve and train on someone else's gear instead of wrecking your own. Learning on your own can be hazardous at worse and slow and leaving you as a perpetual intermediate at best. Buy be sure that you get a good instructor with experience. Not just some iko fanboy. Instructors are like any professional, some are amazing, some flat out suck. Ask around.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:38 am

Michbeer wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:39 pm
My partner today flew my 4 line kite and ultimately face planted the ground. But by doing so has got a determination to learn to fly kites.

Can anyone suggest a good 2 line starter kite that she won't grow out of too quickly?
She will grow out of/get bored with flying any two line kite after a few half hour sessions.

Get a 2 line trainer kite from kingofwatersports using their discount code, but make sure it's in stock. And haggle, it's a buyer's market. A double skinned kite such as a Cabrinha Spark is nice (I have one that my wife has used a few times). Good luck.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:05 am

Great trainer kite and can use for body dragging

https://www.peterlynnkiteboarding.com/peter-lynn-skim

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:08 am

Michbeer wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:39 pm
Go directly 4-line kite so that concept of steering and depower usage becomes familiar. Two-lines no need for trainer, go for 2 line kids kite if she insists. They are steered exactly the same and in moderate winds are very quick so it develops quick reflexes.

On selecting 4-line kite, small wave-kite could do the job. Not that exploding on lift but maybe you/she can use it in high winds when there are waves, but this depends on your area. If you are at mountain area with snowkite you could get cheap Peak4 instead of wave kite. Practise a lot of flying in low winds on that small kite just not to oversheet and steering, dives, loops, safety usage etc. Then she will be more ready in water starting with your bigger kite for more power. If she is not a wake/snowboarder maybe visiting wakecable track would be good.

Paying for instruction, well you joined kiteforum just for this question but if you are intermediate kiter you can teach her if your relationship can take it. Cheat the skills from IKO goals for basic course, refresh your memory and teach them. Or watch youtube beginners course like "how to snowkite basics ntsc title1" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLS2qqFggo which tells all the skills and safety and those skills adapt to water too.

For paying instruction, best benefit is the gear rent if you don't have anything yet, but you do. And beware, instructor will sell you overpriced non-discount (sure they say 10% discount) kite gear, that is their business.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:22 am

There is also the option to buy a super cheap Pansh Genesis, 3m is 99usd, it is a 4 line kite so she can also learn to use a real bar.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 am

A twin skin foil kite, 4 line depowerable, made for newbies,around 3mtr or so, smash it all day into the ground at full wack, gentle power great steering qualities, the brand new guys and girls and kids just love using them at Flag beach, I have been amazed just how strong and easy to use these kites are, never seen one go to the water though, as they are only used to introduce non kite flyers to the art, and start in a safe way.
I am sure someone on here knows the name of these kites that the school at flag beach uses, the newbies are instructed for a hour or so on the first time using the kite but then part of their training package means these kites are left out on the beach for the newbies to go and play without instruction if they are happy to play alone, or maybe just some guidance if required, and god do they hammer them kites, it makes me jump out of my skin when they power them into the sand, but the pull on the kite is so gentle they are still always on their feet, and the kite just recovers and takes off again nice a gently, no drama and never any damage to the kite or to the newbies confidence.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:53 am

Foil wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 am
I am sure someone on here knows the name of these kites that the school at flag beach uses
Flysurfer Viron2 at least can be seen when googling flag beach kite school. And I think I saw Viron flying as video background of gmb13's instruction videos filmed at flag. Checked the video, definetly Viron flying on the background with a group of people = course??.

Return to “Kitesurfing”