Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Insta360 One R

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:57 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on replacing my Hero 5 Black and the Insta360 One R looks to be the choice for me. I was wondering from those who have had one and been using it out in the wild, are you happy with your purchase? Looks like there's been reports of the modules not snapping in perfectly. Has this been your experience? Does it effect the waterproofing? I've been burnt by GoPro so much that I'm really tentative in buying another and I like the module design and features of the Insta. So...would you still recommend it? Thanks

=Jason-

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Re: Insta360 One R

Postby haiku » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Jason, here in Italy we are still in a full lockdown so, I tested the Insta One R Twin Edition (4K and 360 modules) only on land. The modules snap in perfectly, no problem at all. Overall the image quality is very good and I'm looking forward to trying the One Inch module that I ordered. It should be a real game changer. Once I had a fogging issue with both the 360 lenses in a real cold and rainy day. In order to avoid this issue, the Insta 360 support suggested to me to assemble the modules in a dry and not humid enviroment and to use the lens guards. So till now I'm very happy with It.

Cheers
Carlo
These users thanked the author haiku for the post:
Adventure Logs (Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:30 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 am

I was very happy with my One R, until it broke. Insta are sending me a new one now, but they said it had water damage. I never had it submerged for long periods of time and never more than one meter. It cost me quite a bit of money to have it sent to China for them to check it out. I think the ONE R is better than the Go Pro Max and 8 in quality and ease of use, but the customer service is a bit limited. There is also the question if my Camera had faulty seals or if the ONE R really can't handle watersports. I will see what is up when the new camera arrives.

When my Go Pro Max died, they replaced it super fast, 2 Week turnaround to Fuerteventura completely at their cost. So at the moment Go Pro has the better service, at least until they finish the restructure or go bust.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi Jason,

I have received my one R only two days before the lock down in Spain has started, so I was only able to make some clips while walking until now. The quality is excellent and the assembling was no problem until now. The only problem I had was the sound, but after the last firmware update it´s solved. I hope the very strict lock down in Spain will come to an end next Saturday and we can go out to test it in real watersport conditions.

Actually I am searching for a nice mount to fix it on my harness. I have found this one here from K4 fins, but it´s currently not available: https://www.k4fins.com/product/standard ... ess-mount/

If somebody could recommend another one would be great.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
---------------------
KAUPER-XT
These users thanked the author Rainer Kauper for the post:

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi Rainer, first of all I've bought a Pinxto Bar that due to the lockdown I haven't tried yet. I think that the Insta 360 Back Bar can be modified and adapted to a waist harness so I ordered one. You can find It on the Insta 360 Store (accessories). Ah, needless to say, is perfectly compatible with the invisible selfie stick.

Cheers

Carlo
These users thanked the author haiku for the post:
Rainer Kauper (Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:20 pm)

WndRdr
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby WndRdr » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 am

haiku wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:55 pm
I think that the Insta 360 Back Bar can be modified and adapted to a waist harness so I ordered one. You can find It on the Insta 360 Store (accessories). Ah, needless to say, is perfectly compatible with the invisible selfie stick.
I had the Insta waist strap with the invisible selfie stick in kiteboarding with Insta 360 one X and venture case just to test if that works before attaching that to harness with screws. I had the selfie stick extended only 3/4 to not to have the thinnest part of the selfie stick out to prevent pending and have it closer to have smaller forces to the connection point.

The 4mm screw of the waist strap broke after 40 minutes of riding. Fortunately, I had a safety rope (some old kite line) tight to the camera from the harness so I did not loose the camera and the stick.

If going to use the waist strap then add some reinforcement around the selfie stick and the connection point to waist strap to make it stronger. For example tube that can be tighten over the stick and base on the waist strap. It needs to be forced up. Also use some rope/line as a safety.
These users thanked the author WndRdr for the post:
haiku (Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 am)

flying doctor
Medium Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 am

Very interested in the insta 360 r as a replacement for my old gopro 5.

Mainly because the software seems to be a lot better for an easier work flow.

What is the main reason to choose the 360 R above other cameras in their line up? If other cameras work well for auto leveling etc. I'd rather go with one that is properly waterproof..

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am

flying doctor wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 am
Very interested in the insta 360 r as a replacement for my old gopro 5.

Mainly because the software seems to be a lot better for an easier work flow.

What is the main reason to choose the 360 R above other cameras in their line up? If other cameras work well for auto leveling etc. I'd rather go with one that is properly waterproof..
Hi,

For Autolevelling you basically have only two options. The ONE R or the Go Pro Max. I personally like the Quality of the Footage on the ONE R better, but the MAX does have the Hero Mode and does not need any stitching or processing, and you just get a normal mp4 file you can work with. Both only really output at 1080p so no difference there. Also for now the service from GO Pro is better. Both my MAX and Insta360 died at the beginning of March, Go Pro replaced my Max under and warranty within 2 weeks I had a new Camera. I am still waiting for my ONE R replacement to get here and it is painful dealing with customer service.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
flying doctor (Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 am)

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Indeed the customer service of Insta takes all your patience. I have tried to purchase the one R via their website and have asked them to get an invoice with reported VAT to add this one to our bookkeeping. I was told that there will be no VAT on the invoice. So I have cancelled the order and asked to refund my money. That took weeks until something has happened. Finally I bought the one R in a local shop. The only piece he was able to get. I hope I will not have any trouble with the cam.
Sometimes it´s interesting for me to see how other companies are dealing with their customers... :o

Regarding the harness mount I have started to hand craft with a fishing route I have bought in a shop here before the lock down. That is cheap, light and very durable. But I need the connection to the harness and all home stores are closed. :cry:
A thin safety line is compulsory.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
--------------------
KAUPER-XT

flying doctor
Medium Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:40 pm

Here in the Netherlands we have the option to buy it via the Apple store, maybe that will help in getting better service? 🤪

Return to “Kitesurfing”