Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drone's 2020

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drone's 2020

Postby Flyingseb » Fri May 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:02 pm
Look at this Vid, this drone guy has Skills!!
Indeed, a very nice video
It shows what a skilled drone pilot can achieve, and leave still some room for new angles.
But to become that efficient, one has to be totally involved and motivated, and also I suppose that this is a specific kind of drone, like the one they are using in drone racing, and you must use fpv googles.
Then it’s probably not so easy to mix kitesurf and drone, how to keep a good balance between the 2.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:12 pm
true, awesome filming!

But, what a beautiful spot! And rooms right at the water?

Where is this heaven???
I agree, beautiful spot!

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:04 pm
Pera wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm
Toby wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:12 pm
true, awesome filming!

But, what a beautiful spot! And rooms right at the water?

Where is this heaven???
Vrouwenpolder, Zeeland, Netherlands

Is this normal at high tide or Mist it be a spring or very stormy tide ?
Yes at high tide but only for a few hours!
These users thanked the author Leon van Bergen for the post:
Toby (Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Sat May 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 pm
Toby wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:04 pm
Pera wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm

Vrouwenpolder, Zeeland, Netherlands

Is this normal at high tide or Mist it be a spring or very stormy tide ?
Yes at high tide but only for a few hours!
Yes these are lucky moments! As you see the playground for those kids being under water! Been there once and almost 300m beach with low tide! But if everything comes together you probably have the best playground ever!

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon May 04, 2020 6:58 am

cwood wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:22 pm
I have had a Mavic for over 2 years. Have a lot of RC experience and photography is a big hobby. I got it as a way of getting different perspectives for photography. The below might seem negative but its the truth. Just my 2c
I can fly it and penetrate into the wind up to 20 kts but you must do proper flight planning and its tricky. Lighter wind is easier.
Getting good footage requires lots of practice and attention. You don't hand a controller to a friend or girlfriend that is not very practiced and expect to get capture anything or get the thing back safely.
You have to be VERY close to get good action footage due to the wide angle of the lenses. To get close, you have to be even more skilled because keeping the subject in the field of view is very difficult when close.
You have to be VERY smooth on the sticks to get cinematic footage that isn't going to give people epileptic fits to watch or an editing nightmare.
There is no such thing as autonomous use, tracking or the potential for good footage from such a thing.
It takes a lot of prep and focus to get good stuff
You have to love editing video for endless hours to have something that anyone but you or the actual subject of the video would want to watch. This is a key point, if you are not right into the editing process you will have gobs of large files and nothing to do with them
You will fly it a ton when you get it and over time only pull it out on very specific situations.
If you are with a group, they all like to have drone shots...as long as it doesn't slow the group down or they have to wait around for you....which is almost never. To put up a drone properly you have to plan, set up, plan flight times etc, manage batteries...this is not a good mix with "rush".
If you are not a photo or film enthusiast then they are expensive toys.
The rules for anything above 250g are now so restrictive that I'm breaking the law pretty much any time I fly it. There is a reason the mini is 249g.
If it were me again, I would probably buy a mini. The best drone is the drone you have with you.
I would not trade my $1500 back for the great images I have....but I would consider myself an expert in managing the flying side of it. Most other people I cross paths with are dreamy about the prospects but have no idea the true complexity of it all.
I wouldn't touch a startup or small company with a 10ft pole....so difficult to succeed as a small provider...hell, look at the gopro drone debacle and that was with potentially unlimited funds. DJI technology is incredible...and only getting better. If you are going to buy, Mavic 2 or Mini are the only choices IMO. They are the gorilla and will continue to be.

I use it as a camera platform for stills mainly and video to capture special times Notice no music, editing etc....because I just am not interested in dealing with hours of editing. Yes, there are tools and workflows that can make it easier....but I maintain.....you have to like doing it.

Kiting
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HWmBKncnYVTh9CzG9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7NTUy5rYXr8BHwo7

Non Kiting
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTGL3qKRTbV5yGoB7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5imU3YgHcojm8rpUA
Thats actually some solid advice...got already trapped in the hype ;) same basically holds for a gopro it’s only worth kitesurfing with one if you are really good or love to see yourself otherwise it takes a lot of editing before it is worth watching by others

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm

Just did my first test flights with the new Mavic Air 2. This thing is amazing compared to the Mavic Air and anything else in it's price class. It still is useless for filming yourself and I mainly have this to film other kites and wingers and capture B Roll for my Videos, but the quality of the footage and the stability in Wind is way beyond what I was expecting. In some ways it even surpasses the Mavic 2 Pro with things like 4K 60FPS. The HDR Video is so nice and keeps great detail even in crap light like this morning. It handles wind really well. We had gusty 15 to 20 knots this morning and no horizon tilting or shakes whatsoever. My Mavic Air would have not handled these conditions well at all. If only DJI would come up with a waterproof GPS tracker unit like what my Staaker drone has, to make real tracking a possibility this would make the Drone perfect.

Cwood is very right about there being a lot of restrictions on drones over 250grams, but in most countries you can still fly drones under 1kg without many restrictions as long as you are insured and the drone is labeled.

If anyone is considering getting a beginner drone that has almost pro quality Footage the Mavic Air 2 is perfect. I really makes me wonder what the Mavic 3s will have. The Air 2 is so close in performance and quality to the 2 Pro what they really need to push the envelope on the 3s which are supposed to be coming out next year.

--
Gunnar

JoyTre
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 87
Style: in progress
Gear: Blade v 6.5
Genetrix Hydra 8m / Cab SB 5m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JoyTre » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:16 am

I've heard that Mavic Air is good, but how about Mavic Pro 4k? I know that is costs way more, but I think it has the level of quality that I need, and probably you have used it. I've read various articles (like this one), but I'd still betters read some opinion from people who have used it.
Thanks

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:30 am

has anyone tried DJI drones with the "follow me" mode of 3rd-apps such as dronelink or litch?

I have a Mini 2 but I'm also the only folk that could fly this drone on my riding spot, thus, I'm never on my shots and an autonomous drone would be great. I've considered in getting a Skydio 2 but it's way expensive when considering importing taxes, shipping and other fees to my country.

PS: I know the thread is for 2020's drones but the discussion here seems to be well updated and I think it's better to keep the info in just one place for future references ;)

BE_Kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 94
Local Beach: Belgium - Heist - Anemos
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach
Style: Free
Gear: North Reach 8,11,13 2020
North Orbit 9,12 2021
Duotone NEO 6,8,9
North Comp, Charge 2020
Nobile 666 135

Postby BE_Kiter » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:07 pm

Don't put your money in self tracking. Ask any FPV-pilot to shoot you and you'll have the best memory for years!

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:46 pm

I have the Mini2 since a few weeks...

flown it in 20kn gusts...

So far i'm very happy with it... but still have to improve my flying skills...

Return to “Kitesurfing”