Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Covid-19 - Resuming Kiting, In Time

Postby deniska » Sun May 03, 2020 4:46 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 am

See Bille, that’s your decisión and I’m fine with it. If you want to remain safe from something with less than 1% fatality rate(I’m sure higher for you due to preexisting condition) go right on ahead. Stay inside and stay out of the way. But our rights do not get ignore for a “pandemic”. Do not judge others for taking the “risk”. Nowadays you can do both and still be isolated. I’m sick of people tweaking out because they think everything will effect them. Our egos are out of control lol.

It’s pretty clear now that through the knee jerk reaction and fear mongering media that we have done Significantly more damage due to the fear of the virus than what the virus has actually done to us. Sad.
+1
been kiting all this time since the start and so did all my friends in different parts of US...and abroad..
so far I have seen no problems with access in NY, GA, FL, if you are smart.. in fact, in most of the counties in those states, kiters are treated better than regular beach goers.. yes many beaches in GA,FL are open for sports activities only, meaning that people with coolers, chairs and umbrellas are NOT allowed :-)... As to the chances of dying from the virus: in st johns county, Florida, 4 people has passed away from covid-19 (from the beginning) and 3 people were shot in the last week.. so asking people to wear masks and not bullet proof vests is somewhat questionable..
anyways, here is a shot from last week.. a storm front passing and no one on the beach for miles
vlcsnap-2020-04-23-20h12m38s245.jpg

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun May 03, 2020 5:01 am

You are lucky.

We haven't had anything like that in seven weeks and we aren't alone. Both beach and public kiting access has been banned to all. Beach access is still banned in my part of Florida and may remain so for a while longer. Some other areas further north have slowly opened within days and a bit longer in Jacksonville, FL. I was asked for suggestions along these lines for a friend on a small island nation in the Caribbean who was in the same boat. He needed something to present to the authorities to facilitate opening things up. It was written with official review in mind and for kiters concerned about avoiding potentially spreading problems to others. The entire world participates in this forum, it represents many different conditions. Some have no major issues while others may be shut down with regard to access because of the Pandemic. I said in the guidelines that some places might not require anything whereas others may require a good deal more. These are simple facts.

If you don't have worries along these lines, ignore it. If you do, some ideas are here for consideration, nothing more, nothing less.

p.s. - six feet particularly without a mask may not be a magic number in all cases. Tactile contact with contaminated surfaces also factors in but you know that. A little extra caution is warranted to try to avoid shoving someone into a full blown case of Covid-19 symptoms, be it yourself, someone you know or a hapless stranger who was unlucky to come too close. Also,this thing is unfortunately going to run sometime longer, hopefully with lessening impact with no resurgences but time will tell on that.
pj sofine wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 am
Making this way to complicated.I'm in a "hot spot". I drive to the beach,look at all the signs that say to make sure you maintain 6 feet of distance, walk down and pump up my kite and go kiting.Everyone else does the same.The crowds who are out walking stay 6 feet apart and applaud us as we put on the usual show.Then we go home,safe and sound!

pākihiroa
Medium Poster

Postby pākihiroa » Sun May 03, 2020 10:25 am

pj sofine wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 am
Making this way to complicated.I'm in a "hot spot". I drive to the beach,look at all the signs that say to make sure you maintain 6 feet of distance, walk down and pump up my kite and go kiting.Everyone else does the same.The crowds who are out walking stay 6 feet apart and applaud us as we put on the usual show.Then we go home,safe and sound!
But, can you guarantee that you will not have a breakage or some kind of mishap that requires a rescue ? Because, if you do require rescue, then you are increasing the odds of transmission. You don't know that you are not infected (unless you have been 100% isolating for the last 2 weeks) and you for sure don't know that your rescuers are not infected. Sure the chances are vanishingly low in your individual case. But they are not zero. Maybe there is no transmission in yours and 998 other cases. But all it takes is that one more case, that 1 last case in 1000, or that last case in 100,000 to begin a new outbreak. And given the contagiousness of this virus that is all but guaranteed. Remember that this all started with one infected person in China. That is the nature of unchecked exponential growth (R0 > 1).

I am coming from the view point that, if everyone in the entire world could completely and totally self isolate for 2 weeks (say) then the virus would be eradicated from the face of the earth. Obviously such isolation is impossible, but why not strive for the next best thing and at least try to minimise needless deaths in the hope that an effective vaccine and/or therapy is not too far off.

New Zealand is conducting an interesting experiment. They are trying to eliminate (which is not quite the same thing as eradicate) the virus. But NZ have the advantage of being a island nation with low population density and starting their shut down from a relatively low of base line of of community transmission. Oh, and decision making and policies based predominantly on the medical science. But even then, the chances of achieving that goal will largely depend on the cooperation of the population at large. In contrast, Sweden seems to be taking a less stringent, more voluntary, approach. Time will tell which approach, if either, will be successful.
These users thanked the author pākihiroa for the post:
RickI (Sun May 03, 2020 11:30 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:

See Bille, that’s your decisión and I’m fine with it. If you want to remain safe from something with less than 1% fatality rate(I’m sure higher for you due to preexisting condition) go right on ahead. ...
Yep -- perhaps 1% over-all average ; but when ya look at the people who do die
from corona in NY , then my odds ain't looking so good for my age with preexisting
conditions . 24.6% is kinda Shitty odds ; and i'd much rather die in a Hang gliding
crash then slowly suffocate to death, with corona.

Bille
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 2.38.46 PM.png

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:14 am

Been locked down in Ontario for about 5 weeks, I’m on day 17 in this time. Barly Avoiding the police multiple times by parking away from launches and packing in, taking hour sessions. It is likely we will open up within a few days. I just want to know who the fackers is who keeps calling the popo on me🤬🤬🤬

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed May 06, 2020 1:02 am

Good luck avoiding this disease now and in the future Bille. This disease doesn’t simply bring death it can also cause permanent lung lacerations and other types of binding disability. Lets see a show of hands for people who want to give up kiting because they don’t have the wind for it anymore or develop some other sort of serious impairment? There’s a great deal we don’t know about COVID-19. When in doubt do your best to look out for yourself and others.

Bille wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:

See Bille, that’s your decisión and I’m fine with it. If you want to remain safe from something with less than 1% fatality rate(I’m sure higher for you due to preexisting condition) go right on ahead. ...
Yep -- perhaps 1% over-all average ; but when ya look at the people who do die
from corona in NY , then my odds ain't looking so good for my age with preexisting
conditions . 24.6% is kinda Shitty odds ; and i'd much rather die in a Hang gliding
crash then slowly suffocate to death, with corona.

Bille

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:45 am

I heard today that some guys from California were caught twice kitesurfing in violation of Maui’s COVID rules, and were fined $5,000 each and sent home on a plane.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 137, Cyclone 136, Eleveight Master 136, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:07 am

Lake Carlyle in southern Illinois has been open to all activities throughout, so we have had three sessions down there over the past few weeks (which of course defies our stay-at-home and no-unnecessary-travel orders). Our local Clinton Lake in Central Illinois opened for boating, with the restriction of 2 people per boat, this past weekend, so we have had a couple of good kiting days (again contravening those orders). And Cape Hatteras opens May 16, so things are looking up for us kiters (once again contravening a wide variety of these orders in various states between here and there, not to mention in NC itself). We realize we are placing ourselves and others at a slight risk, but it does not seem unreasonable to me. The US has apparently decided that the "new normal" justifies continued infections and deaths country-wide, a slow burn towards heard immunity having successfully flattened the curve, a trajectory not unlike that of Sweden. We just try to practise social distancing as best we can along the way, hoping to last through to a treatment or vaccine, as most of us are in vulnerable age brackets.

alunj
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 am

In the U.K. we have been told to stay off the sea / lakes for our exercise .
Mainly the narrative here is you may need to be rescued / hospitalised due to accident etc .
There is also a narrative that if you Are out you may touch something and infect a key worker . Summarised as if you leave the house for more than essentials you are murdering nurses !
They have done such a good job of terrifying a portion of the population that they will happily confront anyone or report them and in addition the majority is now campaigning to extended the restrictions until there is zero risk .
So the answer of when we can kite again in the U.K. is very hard to know. We have also; in my area ; had one of the longest wind droughts I can remember . Since this started I reckon there have been no more than 3 or 4 kiteable days !

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 am

Germany has opened all the beaches and other places for sports that can be trained alone. Kite schools are starting the season, hotels will open in 2 weeks (with special rules of course)... Right now it looks like we re done with the worst part for now and we had luck and/or our government made some right decisions in the right time. Time will tell. Tomorrow will be my first session on my home spot this year. Can't wait for it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”