Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun 138x42
Ozone Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Covid-19 - Resuming Kiting, In Time

Postby iriejohn » Sun May 10, 2020 8:54 am

alunj wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:08 am
In wales (part of the U.K.) the rules are clear .
They define what’s reasonable exercise ( running cycling and walking ) and say specifically this
So the idiots who drove from England to setup and go out on one of our popular spots need to take a long hard look .

there is an expectation also that the reasonable excuse to exercise does not include activities that involve a significant degree of risk (for example swimming or other exercise at sea, or in lakes, rivers or other waterways). Exercise, therefore, should be done locally and generally be limited to walking, running and cycling.

Source
https://gov.wales/leaving-home-exercise-guidance
I am in the UK.

As it happens I live 12 miles from the beach so instead of kiting I now regularly MTB there and back on off-road trails. I have been advised by a medical professional that I stand a far greater risk of injury by mountain biking than I would by kiting in onshore winds with a helmet and impact vest (both of which I always wear). But hey, those are the rules.

The advisor is my wife.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
Si_B (Sun May 10, 2020 12:18 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun May 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Your wife sounds like a sound advisor. Spent my first few years kiting in Abergavenny. Wales is an amazing place.

Simon

btp100
Rare Poster
Gear: 18m Juice
14m Rebel
6-8-10-12m Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby btp100 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:05 pm

mar menor wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 am
btp100 has posted 10 times on the forum........7 on this topic.....TROLL ALERT......don't feed the troll!
sigh...enjoy the rest of your lockdown.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.80m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun 138x42
Ozone Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula

Postby iriejohn » Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 pm

It seems that from Wednesday 13th May kitesurfing in England will be allowed. :thumb:
Mirror newspaper wrote:Angling and water sports are also to be allowed to resume in England from Wednesday. Again, you must be within your own household and 2 metres from other households.

You can also swim in lakes and the sea as long as you’re socially distant - but not outdoor swimming pools. Or indoor swimming pools, which like gyms remain closed for the foreseeable.
Don't know about other parts of the UK.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Lieuwe Shotgun 132
Has thanked: 0

Postby andylc » Sun May 10, 2020 10:36 pm

Indeed. Off work tomorrow and windy....typical...

btp100
Rare Poster
Gear: 18m Juice
14m Rebel
6-8-10-12m Evo

Postby btp100 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:46 pm

The law hasn't changed my friend. kitesurf your little heart out tomorrow, Bo Jo can't stop you...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Im in Sweden, I'm an immigrant, came here 36 years ago. We have tradition here to let scientists and authorities with the scientific knowledge decide and execute policy. People also generally have a strong belief in these authorities and act for the general good.
Early on, the Health authority said that this is going to take along time, and a lock down is not sustainable over time due to human behavior and people will not follow it in the long run. They also said, it's easy to start lock down, but problem is to get out of it.They also said goal is not to stop spread of the virus, that it is impossible, we can only slow it down and help health care system cope. Eventually, everyone will get the virus or be vaccinated.
We've been largely successful so far, and I think the events of past months in places with lockdown have shown the Swedish authorities they were correct.

Our big problem was we failed to keep virus out of elderly care facilities. These are large groups of elderly taken care of by lower paid and educated individuals, and management of these facilities have failed to adjust work flows and provide protection to staff and elderly. The health authorities failed to provide rules, restrictions and ppe to them. They know they failed and have said so daily in their press conferences.

Our emergency rooms are empty of the normal high flow of non-emergency cases that unnecessarily go there. Thus has helped them care for covid cases.

None of the infections in the general population and elderly care homes has anything to do with people going kitesurfing, mountain biking or doing any other physical activities. People who get hurt doing these things is extremely small and it's easy to do them with distancing. The authorities tell us the negative effects of not exercising are far greater than going out and getting exercise.

By all means, follow the laws and rules you have in your area, but realize they are probably not based on rational reasons, but emotional or political reasons.
Also, there are a lot of people, especially people working in police and other control functions that get some form of satisfaction or sense of self- worth by making people sit still in place, under control and surveillance. Its risky letting those powers get control, you might not get your right to self determination back.

Be responsible, social distance, wash your hands, give the elderly extra distance and respect, don't mix with people outside your family bubble. Everything will work out in the end.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
BenBen (Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 am)
Rating: 8.33%

wynnmandy
Rare Poster
Gear: SST 5m, Turbine 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby wynnmandy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:43 pm

Yes Sweden has done very well. They have had the most measured response in the entire world. The virus itself was always little threat to society, but the response to it has and will be devastating.

Telling healthy people to quarantine has never been done before. Nor have such insane restrictions and financial stimulus. Keeping people indoors will only increase bad outcomes for infections as it increases your viral load and prolongs the virus's life. This is why colds and flu come more during cold periods when people are indoors...but then science has never been medicines best area.

This made up crisis has just highlighted what many have already known that most leadership we have is shit and that those in the medical profession are not as smart or scientific as they make out to be.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 136 and 137, Cyclone 136, Eleveight Master 136, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil and Converter board

Postby Hugh2 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:44 am

wynnmandy, before you spout off in your very first post here, read up a little on the diverse responses in the US to the 1918 "spanish/kansas" flu and their consequences. Lockdowns can make an enormous difference, indeed pretty much the only alternative once you have lost control of the virus via test, trace, and quarantine. The swedes might not have had an official lockdown, but their population took advisories seriously and their economy will take a hit just like others. You only have to look at the "liberate" gun-toting idiots in the US to see how unsuccessful that strategy would have been here. Not to mention the idiots in the WH who are likely now reaping the consequences of their refusal to follow their own guidelines for how to avoid this virus. So much for setting an example.

Back on topic, Cape Hatteras opens up Saturday May 16 so I have booked a house there for my family for the week, hoping for good winds. Our local lake opened last Friday and I've kited most days since then, including a cold and windy 7m session today. Glad to be back at it, legally!
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 2):
pākihiroa (Mon May 11, 2020 6:52 am) • BenBen (Mon May 11, 2020 7:55 am)
Rating: 16.67%

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Mon May 11, 2020 8:43 am

wynnmandy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:43 pm
Yes Sweden has done very well.
I wonder if the 3,225 Swedes who have succumbed to Codid-19 to date would agree with that statement. Sweden has a death rate of 319 per million of population. Compare that with its immediate neighbors, Norway and Finland who are taking more restrictive approaches and have death rates of 40 and 48 per million of population respectively.
Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

For Sweden to achieve herd immunity, which I understand requires at least 60% of the population to be infected, their death toll would be around 120,000 (based on a 2% fatality rate). Sweden's fatality rate is actually an alarming 12%. I assume, based on TomW's comments, that this is due to the virus getting into aged care facilities. However such infiltrations are almost inevitable when there is a high infection rate within the general community.

I believe that Sweden is doing a very risky experiment, one which is based on a fair amount of wishful thinking. There are several things that could cause this to be a failed experiment including:
- An effective treatment or vaccine is available before the rest of the world eventually 'catches up' (as predicted by the Swedish authorities) to Sweden on their net fatality rates. That would leave Sweden with an unnecessarily amount of 'excess' deaths. Sweden's reasoning is that the rest of the world will not be sustain their controls for long enough. However, I think and hope that those who have been practicing social distancing, hand hygiene and other controls under strict rules will continue to do so after the rules are lifted.
- It turns out that there is only weak (or no) herd immunity because either:
(a) any immunity conferred by getting infected does not last long enough relative to the duration of the pandemic or is not strong enough. It is too early in the game to be certain how long and how strong any immunity will turn out to be. In fact I have not yet seen any studies on it at all.
(b) the virus mutates rapidly. A good way to reduced the chances and consequences of mutation is to limit the number of active cases (R0) and therefore the opportunities for mutation and spread.
- It turns out that there are long term health issues, or reductions in life expectancy, resulting from being infected (even in mild cases). Only time will tell. However, it is already clear that this is a nasty bug and infections affect more that just the lungs.
- How well the Swedish economy will actually be able to do when the global economy is suffering. What good is having the Volvo factory spitting out cars at full capacity when the export demand has dried up ?

Bottom line, good luck to Sweden, but I am glad that I am not part of their experiment.

Return to “Kitesurfing”