Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What would kiteboarding look like without China?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What would kiteboarding look like without China?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 pm

It would be moved to other places instead, which it is for some brands.

And if not (made in high production efficient and low wage areas), it is more pricey, and usually more high end.

High end not because it is made more "locally", but because they need something to stand out from the "China and others" productions.

So not necessarily better or more consistent, could be the opposite also, but one can accept the higher price when they can stand out with other parameters :D

8) Peter

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 pm

CrazyFly official wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 pm
Just to confirm, we make all our products in our own factory in Slovakia (not Slovenia). This includes: kites, boards, bars, foils (except Up and Master) and accessories like pads, straps, fins etc.
At the moment, we only buy one raw material from China.

Few days ago, we released new videos showing our production:
[...]
I am more and more interested by products that are not made in Asia. Not that I'm anti China or Sri Lanka, but Europe is by far the first market for the kite and very few brands make their products here. In that perspective Crazyfly stands out.
With this new shape, the 2020 Sculp seems to be the right kite for me. But there are very few tests and review of this kite.

CrazyFly official
Rare Poster
Gear: Hyper, Sculp, Raptor Extreme
Brand Affiliation: CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0

Postby CrazyFly official » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 pm
CrazyFly official wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 pm
Just to confirm, we make all our products in our own factory in Slovakia (not Slovenia). This includes: kites, boards, bars, foils (except Up and Master) and accessories like pads, straps, fins etc.
At the moment, we only buy one raw material from China.

Few days ago, we released new videos showing our production:
[...]
I am more and more interested by products that are not made in Asia. Not that I'm anti China or Sri Lanka, but Europe is by far the first market for the kite and very few brands make their products here. In that perspective Crazyfly stands out.
With this new shape, the 2020 Sculp seems to be the right kite for me. But there are very few tests and review of this kite.
If you are mentioning the new shape, then I think you meant the 2021 Sculp. It came out later than usual because of Covid complications. Reviews will be out soon from Kiteworld, TheKitemag, and Iksurfmag.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Cars are made in Europe and Americas. Boats are made in Europe and Americas. Planes and houses are made in Europe and Americas. We use lots of sub components for those made in Asia but market works for products made anywhere. Things are more expensive, there’s more service industry for fixing them instead of throwing them away and buying new ones.
I ride Italian foils made in Italy and they’re amazing.
Market adjusts. “Immoral” at many occasions but capitalism and globalism seem to win.

Redmachine
Rare Poster
Gear: Twintip and Surf
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Redmachine » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 am

It would look like: Less oppression, slavery and ethnic cleansing.

If anyone thinks China will treat the world fairly they dont know history. Mao killed more people than hitler and pol pot combined. Thats why people fled to Hong Kong to escape the oppression, now its caught up with them.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Semi Professional Master Baiter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:45 am

That is pretty inpressive manufacturing operation there for such a niche sport.

Return to “Kitesurfing”