Ben505
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch, Cabrinha and Slingshot RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

North Atmos or North Focus

Postby Ben505 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi guys,
I am looking to buy a new board. I am an beginner/intermediate rider, just started to do some heli loop sort of stuffs. I am mostly and RPM rider.

At the moment I use slingshot Asylum 2017 board, and really love it. It is very smooth in chops and I feel got enough pop ability.
Now looking to buy a new board, mainly I wanted to find one lighter than Asylum but have similar characteristics. Good edge and upwind ability as well as pop and High air.

Looks like description matches with North Atmos to me, but North Focus says not too different as well.

I want to progress into unhooked at some point. Thinking how Atmos will fit into that? Also no mention about choppy water.

Any riding experience or idea?
I will demo some boards soon when get chance. Want to see if other brands have something similar to offer as well.

Thanks

luca
Medium Poster

Re: North Atmos or North Focus

Postby luca » Tue May 05, 2020 9:46 pm

I have tested North Atmos Hybrid and Carbon. Before I was riding long time F-Trax Carbon.
Now I am riding the Atmos Carbon. Reall Good Board. Impressive comfortable riding in choppy water for a Carbon Board. I am using it for big air, kiteloops and unhooked stuff. For 77 Kilos I ride the 136 version. Love it.
These users thanked the author luca for the post:
Ben505 (Wed May 06, 2020 6:38 am)
Rating: 8.33%

mattaiken MYS NKB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi Ben, Mike D our rep based in Hood River passed me his thoughts:

It sounds like you’re on the right track with the Atmos and Focus. Let me explain some differences to help point you in the right direction. The Atmos is going to have a flatter rocker profile allowing it to shoot upwind and be more efficient on the low end – It will also have a bit more flex/softer feel that absorbs chop nicely which makes for a fast and smooth ride. So you maximize upwind ability, speed, and big air with the Atmos.

The Focus will have be slightly stiffer flex with more rocker, so you get maximum pop while the rocker absorbs the landings and choppy water. So both are going to handle choppy conditions well, but the Focus will be better for you if you’re pushing your unhooked progression as it will be the most pop and more forgiving on those hot landings. You sacrifice a little upwind ability, but gain pop, edging and forgiveness for freestyle.

So there are advantages that you’re after in both boards, but my advice would be the Atmos. It will not hold you back from getting into unhooking, and will provide a more fun and lively ride for your current style. Both board models have a Hybrid and Carbon construction option which affect weight and flex, but overall board characteristics for each model still apply the same.

Let us know if you need help with sizing or can be of any assistance.
These users thanked the author mattaiken MYS NKB for the post:
Ben505 (Wed May 06, 2020 7:03 am)

Ben505
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch, Cabrinha and Slingshot RPM

Postby Ben505 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks Luca and Mike for your feedback. I was thinking similar about Atmos at this stage of my riding. Looks like it ticks all my requirements. We get choppy water and light to medium winds here mostly. So, upwind is important as well as smoother riding. From characteristic looks like both boards are very close to each other but I think I will think to give Atmos a try seriously. Most likely it will be my next board :-). Cheers

Ice101
Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Has thanked: 0

Postby Ice101 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:09 am

Try the duotone jamie as well if you get the chance it’s pretty awesome too.
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post:
Ben505 (Fri May 15, 2020 12:19 am)

Blackened
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2019 Evos

Postby Blackened » Fri May 08, 2020 5:59 am

I've ridden both. The Focus killed my knees in only moderate chop in 30min. Was on the Atmos for over an hour in the same conditions without a problem. If they made it in a brighter colour, I would have one over my 2020 FOne Trax Carbon in a second. The daft black/blue colour scheme would ensure I spend 10min searching for it every time I have a bad crash. Ruined many a session on my old boards.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Ben505 (Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 am)

or6
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq

Postby or6 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Well, I'm sure you know what you're on about

dewwy
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: RPM/Asylum/Vision

Postby dewwy » Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:46 pm
I keep getting excited everytime i see a North ****** and my brain goes omfg theres a new kite or board out!!! Then i realise its that garbage new north shit thats produced nothing for anyone who is actually into freetyle wakestyle or parkstyle aka actuall kiteboarding not just sailing around and doing a little jump. Honestly if big air impresses you are you just blind to fact paragliders are takeing tanks of oxygen to stave off going legit retard cause theyre flying around at such high altitudes the air is hardly there... Then your sprukeing bout some bloke who cant even flat 3 anymore jumping 25m's worst part is half these big air guys bloody paraglide not to cloudbase theyre mostly just shitty coastal pilots but still stop feeding the hype the market trends pushing you and start crashing and progressing ya muppets
:lol:

they have a 143x42, 147x43, 151x43 park board

patnic
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor 10, 7 & 5m

Postby patnic » Sat May 09, 2020 9:31 pm

North winning King of the Air kind of disproves they make gear for "little jumps". I think the North brand is as good as ever. The new guys running it are a breath of fresh air. I can understand why they wanted to get rid of that sad little German running it before. Guy had a chip on his shoulder. Must be from watching his nation get coal rolled. Maybe he rolls the coal himself, would certainly explain it all.

malotricks
Rare Poster
Local Beach: France : Cayeux, Le Crotoy and Wissant
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla and Brasil
Style: freeride freestyle
Gear: Duotone Dice

Postby malotricks » Mon May 11, 2020 12:37 pm

North won because they have great riders. That's all.
As they have good riders, they provided good feedbacks on the gear to develop. Therefore it should be very good. But it does not mean it is the best one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”