Rare Poster
Local Beach: Madison,WI
Gear: 14M Switch Nitro 4
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Booties

Postby RenatoTorres » Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 am

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner and I have not bought my wet suit, hoods, gloves and booties yet. I have found a lot of information about wetsuits on the youtube but I still have some doubts and I would appreciate any help:

1) I know that the wetsuit must be tight to your body, does that also apply to the booties? When buying the booties should I buy the same size as my shoes or should I purchase somewhat smaller so it is tighter to my feet? Do I also need to purchase wetsuit socks or just the booties are fine? Is it possible to buy just the socks? Why do I need both?

2) Do you think it is a good idea to buy this equipment online? For example, I saw that the wetsuit they have different sizes depending on your chest, waist, height, and weight. Is that enough to buy looking at those charts or I should really try it on before purchasing? What is your experience?

Thank you,
Renato

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Booties

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 10, 2020 8:03 am

Go to a shop and try the booties, they should just fit and very important not too big nor small.

Suit can be bought online, but exact sizing and how it feels, you won't know...

I would buy my first suit in a shop, where they help with type and fit and everything.

And when it eventually wears out, you can get the same online if you prefer, and if it still exists.

I've surfed for more than 40 years, and never heard about a wetsuit sock, so not needed, whatever it is...
Maybe for when using bindings on a wake board?

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
RenatoTorres (Sun May 10, 2020 5:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:23 am

Wetsuit socks are used when you're surfing with flippers and want to keep your feet warm or protect from chafing from the flippers.

There's lots of different kinds of booties and the fit depends on how they feel on your feet.

Booties with soft soles and structure you generally buy a size smaller. They tend to stretch a bit when they get wet and can be sloppy on your feet.

Booties with a firmer sole and structure need to be closer to your shoe size. If they're too small they can cause pain and damage your toe nails. It can be very painful.

I use thin summer shoes with a lower ankle in summer and thicker high ankle boots in winter.

You need to be able to tuck the legs of your wetsuit into the top of the booties. That stops water rushing up your leg, and reduces sand being flushed into the boots in a shore break.

The summer boots are to protect my feet from the burning hot sand, and to protect my feet from sea urchins and rock cuts. We have a beach with an urchin infested reef downwind. In some conditions there is a risk of having to walk across the reef and booties are better than cut feet. If the sand is not hot, or there's no risk of ending up on a reef I go barefoot.
Last edited by OzBungy on Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
RenatoTorres (Sun May 10, 2020 5:29 pm)

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Postby jms » Sun May 10, 2020 11:18 am

Make sure the booties don't come off too easily.

I remember when I was learning getting ripped off the board and leaving my wetsuit socks behind!
These users thanked the author jms for the post:
RenatoTorres (Sun May 10, 2020 5:28 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun May 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Imho socks are not appropriate, but booties are ok if you have to. Both booties and wetsuits need to be snug rather than tight. If a suit is tight it can have an undesirable affect on your circulation; I would much rather have a slightly loose suit than a tight suit.

Buy the correct size do not purchase smaller for a tight fit. Personally I prefer to buy wetsuits on line and find manufacturers size charts to be accurate. If you are in between sizes I would recommend going to the larger size. Unless it is a light summer suit do not leave it on a hanger as the the material may creep thinning out the shoulders leading to premature failure, maybe worth checking for this if you go to the shops.

I have always bought booties the same as my shoe size and not had problems but they have different fits such as split toe etc so worth trying on different types to find what's comfortable for you. Barefoot is much better if conditions allow.

Regards Herman

PS I find suits with built in hoods uncomfortable and, personally, I would go for a seperate hood if needed. I don't know what percentage of riders share this opinion regarding hoods.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
RenatoTorres (Sun May 10, 2020 5:29 pm)

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 pm

I buy my suits online (always O’Neill) as they fit according to their sizing chart. I do the same for my growing family members and it always works. If in doubt and in between sizes shoot them and email and they will recommend the correct size( ie skinny long Teenager just to fitting a certain size at the moment.

Now boots need to have also just a good fit. But for me that has been a challenge online. My newest are actually 2 sizes taller, the one before 1 size taller and the one before than one just the right size. That seems hard to nail online.

I also clearly vote for. Suit with separate hood. But this now depends on your geographic location.
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
RenatoTorres (Mon May 11, 2020 5:55 am)

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun May 10, 2020 7:34 pm

+1 on the above statements.
If you can, check out Solite's custom moldable booties... https://soliteboots.com
They have some good tips for fitting... https://soliteboots.com/pages/heat-molding-instructions
I highly recommend getting something with an instep strap!
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
RenatoTorres (Mon May 11, 2020 5:55 am)

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm

As a beginner I suggest booties with tougher soles... you will go downwind and have to walk, probably a lot. I'd imagine you will be in lakes in WI, walking on sticks, rocks etc... My preference is the O'neil super freak. Get your shoe size. I also really hate the split toe, but a lot of folks love them. Up to you, but the tend to hurt my toes.
For your first wetsuit, if it's a winter suit 4/3, 5/4, 6/5 try it on at a shop - you don't want one that is too tight. I can't tell you the number of times I had to drive home and get someone to help me get my first 6/5 off. Materials are way more flexible now, so it's not quite as bad, but you still want a good fit. 3/2 you have a lot more leeway - the thinner material is easier to get on and off. I've always gotten hooded, but if I only kited separate hood might make more sense. Right now I just leave the hood down if I don't need it, doesn't bother me.
These users thanked the author collider for the post:
RenatoTorres (Mon May 11, 2020 5:56 am)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 pm

I wear booties and low shoes year round. Even when in Brazil. In Brazil I have seen nasty shell cuts and even small spiny fish cutting up feet. People lose kiting days with those foot injuries.
Booties are hard to get right fit, the different brands have radically different sizes in " same " size. If they are too short, my big toenails get bruised and hurt like hell.
And all surf booties I've used don't last long, the inner and outer soles are not designed to be stood on for long hours we have in kiting, surfers spend a tiny fraction of their time actually standing.
Wet suits seem to be more consistent, 4 different brands of Large Short all fit me the same. The difficulty is figuring out which size is right in the first place, so buying local is your best bet if you are first time buyer.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun May 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Hey, Renato. I'll address the booties vs. socks question.

I have used both booties and socks, but never at the same time. Booties will keep your feet warm and have a thicker sole for protection from sharp objects. But booties interfere with the rider's "feel" for the board, especially riding strapless on a directional or a foilboard. Also, booties make it more difficult to get in and out of twintip straps for board-offs and one-footers. So a lot of riders don't like wearing booties.

If you don't want to wear booties, but it's too cold to go barefoot, dive socks are a good compromise. They keep your feet warm, but they are thin and don't have a sole. They protect your feet somewhat, but not as well as booties. They fit snugly on your feet and don't interfere with board "feel" or airstyle tricks as much as booties. The main disadvantage of dive socks is that they wear out quickly if you walk in them a lot. You can find good socks at dive shops. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”