Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

CSC Shape vs. Short Traditional - Small to Medium Surf

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
2014 North Whip 5'9
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

CSC Shape vs. Short Traditional - Small to Medium Surf

Postby adamj2281 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:52 pm

I've been riding strapless for awhile, I'm moved through a few different boards but right now I'm on an older 5'9" North WAM, mostly in knee-chest high sideshore wind swell. It feels a bit large and stiff to me at 27L, and I'm around 78 kg/172 lb. I had a 5'3" Cabrinha Spade which I loved, a bit short for me getting upwind, but great to whip around, but I lost it. I'm debating going with something that short again in a traditional shape or moving to a CSC shape like the North Whip. It would be for the smaller stuff, and I need a board I can travel easily with. I'd like to work in some little strapless airs off waves as well, but the main thing is something that I can really whip and slash off a wave face, basically bottom turn into a hack over and over.

Any thoughts?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: CSC Shape vs. Short Traditional - Small to Medium Surf

Postby knotwindy » Tue May 12, 2020 6:28 pm

FireWire Tomo Evo @ 5’1” or Vader 1 size larger.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
adamj2281 (Tue May 12, 2020 6:43 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, Duotone Whip 5'2, F-One Mito 5.8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Tue May 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Hope this story helps, I am 74kg, so similar weight , For the past two years have been riding a F-one Mitu 5'8 in carbon, light stiff, fast, and carves beautifully on waist to head high waves, and gunny enough for the bigger high wind days. But I wanted something more 'Fun' and shorter, and also light, to get better at strapless airs, and grabs.
I bought a North Whip 5'2 , ( because it's shorter, it's nearly as light as the Mitu,).... First time out with it I found it a bit 'directional' and not as easy to carve as the more curved Mitu, I changed the fins to a size smaller, which loosened it up,
It is a whole lot of fun in the wave height you mentioned, and I think a CSC shape like the Whip in a small size would do exactly what you want. But , a Spade in a small size would be just as fun, but in a different style. In these sizes the Spade is more a surfboard, the Whip is more TT' ish.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 68kg
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards
Freeride Twintip

Postby Da Yoda » Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 pm

I was much like you. I started on a 5'8 traditional shape board. I eventually switched over to the compact shapes when they were first introduced. Once I rode the Vanguard, I was hooked. What I mostly ride are small-medium waves (coast & river swell) and can't imagine ever going back.

For the small-medium stuff I think you'll LOVE the new breed of compact "hybrid" boards. Imo Firewire's Evo 5'1 would be the better choice (vs Vader), but both would be good. Duotone's Pro Whip 5'1, Eleveight's Escape 5'1, FCD's Blunt 5'0, and F-One's Slice 5'1 would also ALL be excellent choices.
Avoid the compact shapes dedicated to Freestyle surfing like Duotone's Pro Voke or North's Comp.

There are some "all-around" trad surfboards that you might like for those conditions. I really enjoyed Duotone's Wam Pro 5'3 and F-One's Mitu Pro 5'2. They have a 5'5 Wam Pro and a 5'4 Mitu Pro which would be better suited to your weight, but that's subjective. Airush's Amp 5'4 (or 5'2) is another possibility in this category.

NOTE - These are all dedicated strapless boards, so if you want the ability to use footstraps, that opens up other options, but eliminates most mentioned above.
Last edited by Da Yoda on Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
adamj2281 (Tue May 12, 2020 9:15 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
2014 North Whip 5'9
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 pm
I was much like you. I started on a 5'8 traditional shape board. I eventually switched over to the compact shapes when they were first introduced. Once I rode the Vanguard, I was hooked. I mostly ride are small-medium waves (coast & river swell) and can't imagine ever going back.

For the small-medium stuff I think you'll LOVE the new breed of compact "hybrid" boards. Imo Firewire's Evo 5'1 would be the better choice (vs Vader), but both would be good. Duotone's Pro Whip 5'1, Eleveight's Escape 5'1, FCD's Blunt 5'0, and F-One's Slice 5'1 would also ALL be excellent choices.
Avoid the compact shapes dedicated to Freestyle surfing like Duotone's Pro Voke or North's Comp.

There are some "all-around" trad surfboards that you might like for those conditions. I really enjoyed Duotone's Wam Pro 5'3 and F-One's Mitu Pro 5'2. They have a 5'5 Wam Pro and a 5'4 Mitu Pro which would be better suited to your weight, but that's subjective. Airush's Amp 5'4 (or 5'2) is another possibility in this category.

NOTE - These are all dedicated strapless boards, so if you want the ability to use footstraps, that opens up other options, but eliminates most mentioned above.
That's all perfect advice - I'm leaning towards keeping my 5'8" for steeper surf when we occasionally get it, and then grabbing a Whip 5'2" or similar. So is the basic concept that you can hold a bit more speed on the hybrid (Evo/Whip, etc.) and then with the compact size really explode off a deep carve? I'm mainly looking for something that I can whip (hence looking at the Duotone Whip,ha) around on a wave face as hard as possible, and.........be able to work in some downwind airs, etc. I'd say 80% of the time I'm on knee to waist high mush. Keep the 5'8" for those bigger days.

No footstraps, all strapless.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 68kg
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards
Freeride Twintip

Postby Da Yoda » Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm

adamj2281 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm
That's all perfect advice - I'm leaning towards keeping my 5'8" for steeper surf when we occasionally get it, and then grabbing a Whip 5'2" or similar. So is the basic concept that you can hold a bit more speed on the hybrid (Evo/Whip, etc.) and then with the compact size really explode off a deep carve? I'm mainly looking for something that I can whip (hence looking at the Duotone Whip,ha) around on a wave face as hard as possible, and.........be able to work in some downwind airs, etc. I'd say 80% of the time I'm on knee to waist high mush. Keep the 5'8" for those bigger days.

I have a 5'8 trad shaped board dedicated to medium & big wave days on the coast. Real kiters have quivers! :thumb:

The concept is straighter rail line for speed. I find that holding down speed is no problem and then yes due to it's compactness it can cut a tight bottom carve while still carrying a lot of energy back up, so it makes it ideal for either aerials or big slashes. I'd say it makes smaller waves just feel bigger. Another thing is a lot of these boards are bottom shaped to increase speed and/or add stability while still being playful. Go read about Tomo's technical shapes for example.
Every board I mentioned is a "hybrid", meaning that they all excel in small-medium waves, but because of their compact shape, they also can work quite well for Freestyle riding. Their shapes however are more focused towards small wave performance, not load and pop (think twintip) performance.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Tue May 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm
adamj2281 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm

I have a 5'8 trad shaped board dedicated to medium & big wave days on the coast. Real kiters have quivers! :thumb:

The concept is straighter rail line for speed. I find that holding down speed is no problem and then yes due to it's compactness it can cut a tight bottom carve while still carrying a lot of energy back up, so it makes it ideal for either aerials or big slashes. I'd say it makes smaller waves just feel bigger. Another thing is a lot of these boards are bottom shaped to increase speed and/or add stability while still being playful. Go read about Tomo's technical shapes for example.
Every board I mentioned is a "hybrid", meaning that they all excel in small-medium waves, but because of their compact shape, they also can work quite well for Freestyle riding. Their shapes however are more focused towards small wave performance, not load and pop (think twintip) performance.
great note about the boards - I have the Cabrinah space; it is use with big fins to help with the up wind but turns amazing. North 2017 Whip, amazing upwind and fun for small waves. Also, Tomo vanguard 5.8 the best board for upwind and light wind but turn are long. cheers

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
2014 North Whip 5'9
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm

So I went with a CSC shape, good deal on a used North Whip 5'2" CSC, a bit heavy, some dings, etc. but the price was right. I really am enjoying it, it has small fins on it right now so I can whip it around pretty quick but I may add a slightly larger fin to gain a bit of bite. It's a lot of fun, I don't really see my larger board getting much action.

I may still grab something in a more traditional shape with a bit more rocker for the few larger days, but still in that 5'5" range, or a lower volume, thinned out version.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”