Sualc79
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush Vapor X
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Wow

Postby Sualc79 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:38 pm

I am looking see for new kites. I really like what I read about the wow, but I cannot find many users opinions, I would like your opinion on the wow, mainly the v3 version. I surf tt and would like to start up in waves also. I do not make many tricks like handle pass and so...Where I live the water is choppy and when there is waves they are max 2m. I am about 204lb so I am not light weight.. I want a fun kite that reacts instant to input, goes upwind well, drifts, good safety. I have not easy access to just try the kite so your opinion would be great👍

GJibb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF NV V8 15
LF WOW V2 12/9
TT/SB/HF

Re: Liquid Force Wow

Postby GJibb » Wed May 13, 2020 3:44 pm

I only have experience with the V2 but its been a great kite, I weigh 230/240 and own the 12m and a 9m (My 15m is an NV). Entirely TT since I haven't managed to use my surf or foil boards yet.
It upwind and downwind literally without trying. Light feel between bar and harness pull, I'm not saying it isn't there and there isn't any feel, it certainly isn't pulling your waist aggressively constantly. I remember trying a friends Switch Nitro V1 and holy cow it was like having your belt strapped to a monster truck. One of the worst feelings I've had with a kite. So the opposite of that...
Jumps great and floats great
I bought mine blind and was surprised by how fun it is and easy. It's just a kite that is doing its job quietly. NEVER any thought about where it is or what its doing, its just doing its job so you can focus on enjoying being out.
Hope it helps. They are currently my favourite kites by a LONG shot

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed May 13, 2020 4:19 pm

I have the 9m WOW v3. I've only had a few sessions on it so far. I would say it's more of a freeride kite than a pure wave kite. The Cabo v3 is my favorite wave kite and I grabbed a full quiver of them. I have an Eleveight WS v1 11m and it's similar/identical to the Cabo but a little heavier than the v3 11m. I've been looking to replace my 9m Cabo workhorse with something else on the cheap and the WOW isn't it. (Also picked up a Flysurfer Stoke v1 9m; also not it) The WOW doesn't turn as fast as the Cabo and generates more power through the loop. The WOW has better upwind and looks to have a slightly higher AR. The super thin leading edge makes inflating the kite FAST but it does seem to deform easier. I'm not sure how the leading edge would handle your 200lbs on a TT if/when you're overpowered and boosting. Notice how the new WOW v4 went back to the thick leading edge. I don't TT or boost much so that wasn't a concern when I got this. I just wanted speed and not much pull in loops when going downwind on a wave in on-shore conditions; which the Cabo does better. In short, not a bad kite but I wouldn't spend a fortune on them and don't expect perfection.

mattchupchu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Where you get more stupider
Style: Thurfboard
Gear: Wow 10 - 8 - 6

Postby mattchupchu » Wed May 13, 2020 4:38 pm

I have a 10m 8m WOW v3 will buy a 6. 170lb Riding a strapless surfboard only. Echo a lot of what the other guy says,
Pros
doesn’t pull from front lines like NV. Goes upwind really well imo. Turns very fast, and the loops don’t pull very hard so you won’t get yanked around or off your board. Riding waves backside I’ve ended up looping a lot so this os a big plus for me.
Drift I don’t really know, but when you slack the lines it stays in the air pretty good. Solid booster and hang time for a wave kite. It’s just easy to fly. Pump that shit up to 12-13psi too, the small leading edge needs it.

I will say when the lines are a bit slack the steering becomes a bit less crisp and speedy, where I like to grab foam to really crank it over if I have to, but I think of this as more of a technique thing and don’t consider it a attribute of this kite exclusively.

Cons
With the 10m I feel from ~15-17kts it works and can stay upwind, but can be a bit more sluggish, and likes to backstall if your a heavy sheeter and aren’t paying attention, hard to ride waves downwind like this. Honestly in that range i usually don’t care to kite anyway cause there’s no waves or anything where I live. 17 and up it rips.

Sualc79
Rare Poster

Postby Sualc79 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Thanks👍👍 From your responses it is kind of the same like I read in the reviews, or? Only thing I am not sure of is like Norcom is how does I perform in overpowered conditions? Does it deform?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed May 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Sualc79 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:21 pm
Thanks👍👍 From your responses it is kind of the same like I read in the reviews, or? Only thing I am not sure of is like Norcom is how does I perform in overpowered conditions? Does it deform?
Can't say, I haven't been out with it overpowered. I've only used it 2-3 times and haven't even dropped it yet. I pumped it up to 11-12psi. When I tried to get more turning speed out of it by pulling super hard it looked and felt to twist/bend more so than other kites I have. It's not extreme but the tips do noticeably twist and the extra pull barely helps the speed. The WOW doesn't have a very tight pivot turn. I haven't had it taco but I don't TT and I don't boost much, so I don't load the kites up very hard.

Sualc79
Rare Poster

Postby Sualc79 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:11 am

Anyone who has comments on deforming when using it on tt? Or other comments on the wow?😀

RidingRobi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic Sea
Style: Wakestyle, Wave, Foil
Gear: PLKB

Postby RidingRobi » Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Sualc79 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:11 am
Anyone who has comments on deforming when using it on tt? Or other comments on the wow?😀
I am ~100kg and I used my 7m WOW V3 in ~28 to 35 knots recently with my TT and Boots (don't have a TT with straps) and I was surprised how well it handled the conditions.
No deforming at all, jumped 12m on the Woo. You can loop it super fast and almost without any pull but if you really steer it through the loop you also can get a wider angle and more pull in the loop. And if you feel that it maybe won't catch youre still able to steer harder and send it up again quickly.

This day I went down from my 9m NV and I could definitely feel the difference in LE diameter. With the Wow, it felt like you could bump all the pull instantly at any time. But one the other hand, it was much more nimble and and I had to readjust my steering a bit when coming from 2m larger NV.

To summarize, I was really positively surprised how well it handled my 100kg and my wakestyle board with boots. It jumps really well and has probably even a bit more hangtime than my NV. No deforming at all but a quite nimble and reactive on the bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”