Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Postby Flyboy » Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 am

Honestly, putting down roots in another, very different country, when you're older & retired, is not that easy IMO. The appeal of many of these 2nd/3rd world locations is likely to wear off after a while. Corruption, lawlessness & violence are often a part of the picture, not to mention the possible complications posed by healthcare considerations. I think leaving yourself free to visit a variety of places for 2 months - 6 months while maintaining a home base in the country you are used to, may be a better approach, although it does require a certain level of financial resources to make it possible.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon May 18, 2020 12:34 am

Flyboy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 am
Honestly, putting down roots in another, very different country, when you're older & retired, is not that easy IMO. The appeal of many of these 2nd/3rd world locations is likely to wear off after a while. Corruption, lawlessness & violence are often a part of the picture, not to mention the possible complications posed by healthcare considerations. I think leaving yourself free to visit a variety of places for 2 months - 6 months while maintaining a home base in the country you are used to, may be a better approach, although it does require a certain level of financial resources to make it possible.
if you are lucky enough to own your own home, you can actually fully support yourself with just the money you make from a short term let of your home. Just the rent you get may cover accom food, flights everything..! :-)

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Mon May 18, 2020 1:20 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:01 am
Mr. Doe: I'm in a not un-similar position. I think finding somewhere your wife will be happy over the long term is likely to be very challenging. Obviously, whatever you choose has to meet her needs, or it won't work out. I'm more inclined to think a better idea to have a place somewhere in the US - hopefully much cheaper than where you live now - & travel to different places for 3 - 6 months a year. That way you are not having to make a total commitment to any one spot. Allows you to see more of the world & keep your options open. Many places may be nice - & cheap - to visit for several months at a time, but living permanently in one of those places may be less appealing.
That's a great idea thanks. I could sell my house, get an inexpensive condo somewhere & travel:) I have a buddy who wants to do the same thing. He owned a hostel in Cal so he's all hooked up with doing the work-stay thing. He doesn't have much money & manages to travel quite a bit :D

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Mon May 18, 2020 3:37 am

If your looking for wind and sun would have to agree Brasil specifically NE brasil Fortaleza in my case which currently I split my time and Calif too,really can’t be beat if bang for the buck and your into wind sports you can kite pretty much all year and foiling in off season warm weather/water all year ,wave wise not the best, but does get a decent N swell in Nov/Dec-April ,however the offseason has become for me much more enlightening lately thanks to supfoiling and kitefoiling some great spots and do not need that great of waves but you can foil quite a bit except for real rainy days.You have really nice malls/ shopping and the food is very good.You can buy a condo,apartment for very reasonable price especially these days.Health insurance is much more affordable compared to US,utilities the same compared to U.S.The language barrier can be tough at first but with a little Spanish background you can learn Portuguese fairly easy.For the most part the people in NE brasil are very good and nice easy going,however in some areas you have to be very careful and not fly the gringo flags too high and avoid them,but there is bad areas in most countries that you want to avoid as well.Brasil is very large country and so many options! for me I’ve been going to NE Brasil for close to 25 years my wife happens to be from there so I’ve been going there before kiting existed, many beautiful beach towns too many! really don’t know where you start frankly,My suggestion being a fellow California boy is due a 3-6 month trial period and test the waters,but if your looking for wind and warm weather and decent prices good people and beautiful beaches well really can’t go wrong In Fortaleza or NE Brasil they have pretty much everything that any city here in W. U.S has.
These users thanked the author pitbulldoug for the post:
kruzlifix (Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am)
Rating: 8.33%

TangTonic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Croix
Style: all
Gear: Wainman

Shinn
Has thanked: 0

Postby TangTonic » Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Shhh, don't tell anyone but St. Croix, US Virgin Islands is very nice!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon May 18, 2020 8:58 pm

TangTonic wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 pm
Shhh, don't tell anyone but St. Croix, US Virgin Islands is very nice!
It's "very nice' ... but also pretty expensive & very small.

Return to “Kitesurfing”