Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Postby marioparacuru » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Havre wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm
We just booked transport through the places we were staying. No issues. All of the different drivers just very friendly and service minded. Doesn't mean that it will always be safe, but as a Norwegian I would probably feel just as safe/unsafe in the US as I did in Brazil (I guess you always feel safer with what you are used to).

Jeri felt extremely safe. In for example Cumbuco you are definitely a bit more aware of your surroundings - even if I never felt unsafe there either. Some of the streets there are basically made for getting robbed though.

First time and if you want to go to the safest place I would personally recommend Jeri. And I doubt that any of the places that far North of Fortaleza is much different, but for that a lot of people on here got much more experience than me from that area.
In part real about what you said. Jeri is not the safest place by far. For example, Icaraizinho, Barra Grande and Atins are way safer.

So again, safest or not the safest ones, once you there you will feel safe enough. Most important is to know what you looking for. Every village has it own characteristics. About itself, about kite conditions. Stick together with the kiters and you will be okay.

The right to do is to do a little tour. Choose some places based in your preferences. Stay couple days on each place. Next time you come you will know for sure what kind of place is your place there(here).

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:19 pm

marioparacuru wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm
Havre wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm
We just booked transport through the places we were staying. No issues. All of the different drivers just very friendly and service minded. Doesn't mean that it will always be safe, but as a Norwegian I would probably feel just as safe/unsafe in the US as I did in Brazil (I guess you always feel safer with what you are used to).

Jeri felt extremely safe. In for example Cumbuco you are definitely a bit more aware of your surroundings - even if I never felt unsafe there either. Some of the streets there are basically made for getting robbed though.

First time and if you want to go to the safest place I would personally recommend Jeri. And I doubt that any of the places that far North of Fortaleza is much different, but for that a lot of people on here got much more experience than me from that area.
In part real about what you said. Jeri is not the safest place by far. For example, Icaraizinho, Barra Grande and Atins are way safer.

So again, safest or not the safest ones, once you there you will feel safe enough. Most important is to know what you looking for. Every village has it own characteristics. About itself, about kite conditions. Stick together with the kiters and you will be okay.

The right to do is to do a little tour. Choose some places based in your preferences. Stay couple days on each place. Next time you come you will know for sure what kind of place is your place there(here).
It is very anecdotal from my side - so I will never pretend to be an expert on safety in Jeri, but I was there with a girl and she walked around by herself at night without thinking about her safety. I would easily travel with my mother to Jeri. Maybe because I don't understand better of course.

I wouldn't retire in Jeri though. Too much of a hassle to get to spots if you are staying there permanently and it is very touristic. I would much rather have found a village/town where people live more normal lives.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
marioparacuru (Sun May 14, 2023 7:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm

marioparacuru wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Someone said Rio de Janeiro? Well if the idea is to go kite, forget about it. Wind is far from good/constant there.
I've mentioned Rio de Janeiro because I live here but, if you wanna kite 80% of the year, the northest brazilian coast is the place to go (and retire) for sure. It's a wind paradise with endless beaches, warm water and good people. We, brazilians, usually go there too to spend our vacations too. Life cost, in the north/northest regions, is also cheaper than here in the southest region.

Brazil is a continental country and what you see on the international media about violence and crimes, most of the time come from the main capitals.

Just to give you a perspective about the windy days, according to WindGuru stats:
(number of days/monthly average)

Araruama lagoon (Rio de Janeiro/Southest region)
araruama.JPG
Paracuru (Ceará/Northest region)
paracuru.JPG
as you go up north in the coast, wind is much stronger:

Preá (Ceará/Northest region)
prea.JPG

hookedcook
Medium Poster
Gear: Elevegiht RS 10 and 12

Postby hookedcook » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 pm

rnelias wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm
marioparacuru wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Someone said Rio de Janeiro? Well if the idea is to go kite, forget about it. Wind is far from good/constant there.
I've mentioned Rio de Janeiro because I live here but, if you wanna kite 80% of the year, the northest brazilian coast is the place to go (and retire) for sure. It's a wind paradise with endless beaches, warm water and good people. We, brazilians, usually go there too to spend our vacations too. Life cost, in the north/northest regions, is also cheaper than here in the southest region.

Brazil is a continental country and what you see on the international media about violence and crimes, most of the time come from the main capitals.

Just to give you a perspective about the windy days, according to WindGuru stats:
(number of days/monthly average)

Araruama lagoon (Rio de Janeiro/Southest region)
araruama.JPG

Paracuru (Ceará/Northest region)
paracuru.JPG

as you go up north in the coast, wind is much stronger:

Preá (Ceará/Northest region)
prea.JPG
Listen to these guys that actually live there. If you have a little money and want a guaranteed easy trip get a guide like mario, my first time in Brazil did it solo with no Portuguese, had fun but the next time went with my Brazilian girl who new people, the language and culture and was a million times better. And more than a couple times in a lot of situations she tells me to keep my mouth shut and pretend to be on my phone to avoid gringo prices. Only local guides can do that and it may be a little extra money compared to trying it on your own, but the difference if its a short vacation is worth it to have a proper guide
These users thanked the author hookedcook for the post:
marioparacuru (Sun May 14, 2023 7:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

hookedcook
Medium Poster

Postby hookedcook » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:27 pm

But this thread is for a guy looking to a place to retire with his wife. I like to fish, just getting back from Panama, know a place out there where the fishing is the best. But go to sleep with bats in my room, shit in an outhouse and when the solar power runs out around 9pm its bedtime reading with a book and headlamp because there is no cell signal or internet. I mentioned where I did because the kiting is good but if you want or need something you can find it. Trust me dragged my girl to St. Thomas, after the romantic idea of moving to the Caribbean was lost after about 3 months of power going out, big bugs, nothing actually works, waiting an hour to get your mail, coin laundry, she was pissed and made my life miserable till I told her to go back to the US. Retiring should be relaxing, happy wife happy life, you could have the best wind in the world, if your wife is pissed, you're fucked. There are lots of windier places around the world, but spent a week in Ilhabela, Soa Sebastiano, there is wind there, and a beautiful island. Limited launch areas, I launched off a boat, the wind funnels through, lots of foil boarders on the mainland side. I mentioned my place based on the fact that the kiting is good and if your wife wants to go shopping she can, seems to make most girls happy

hookedcook
Medium Poster

Postby hookedcook » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:22 pm

daspi wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:57 pm
I know this is about where to retire, but as posters have suggested, first go visit. Good advise.

I so want to visit Brazil but the crime stories kept me from going so far. It is probably overblown as you guys write. My worries circle around Police shake downs, abduction for ransom etc. I understand that everyday killings are often drug related, but as white faced non Portugiese speaking tourist I must stick out pretty badly. Don't get me wrong, I don't wear flashy stuff when traveling.

What would be the safest way to travel from Fortaleza to the spots north of it, like Paracuru or Jericoacoara? Which spot is better for kiting in waves and also which is the safer better experience for a first time visitor?

I would be traveling from Boston. Any suggestions about best flight connections are appreciated too. I see mostly 2 stop options to Fortaleza. I see direct flights from Miami or Orlando only fly from June to August. I would be inclined to go to Brazil in the late fall or winter month. Thoughts?
The US mentality is to be scared of any foreign country. Turns out most foreigners that come here are terrified. The reality is nothing is different. Unless you decide to put your self in a situation chasing drugs or hookers in a place you have no idea what to do or business being there, you have no worries

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:07 am

I just read this thread, I am very interested, any update? People searching,... Did you find some interesting places?

Madraoulas
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Elafonissos-Peloponnese-Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: Begginer-intermediate

Postby Madraoulas » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:24 pm

Just visit as many islands at Aegean Sea in Greece as you can...what you like most then you can live there.Greek islands (we don't speak about Myconos) are great for leaving all year , and have kite maaaaaany days all year...Just try to visit them (Cyclades and Dodecanissa are about 15-20 islands good for kite and quality life with small cost).... a thought you must consuder🪂🪂🪂🪂

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:26 am

As a Brazilian, I can say, If you are not the gullable type, it is relatively safe...safer than Tijuana.
Just dont be an object of envy carrying and displaying wealth.
Foriners are well treted, mostly, specially if they have a humble attitude...
If you buy in advance...$150 dollar can get you coast to coast...
If you are single...in NE Brasil you wil not be so very quickly...
Rio...Florianópolis...and beaches near by it may not be as easy...Fortaleza and near beaches have year round conditions...the season never ends...it just swiches from kiting season to foiling season...
If you really want to commit and buy...chose something in a condominium

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:48 am

What about the people where asking a few years ago in this thread, did you find a nice place to retire?

Return to “Kitesurfing”