Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Postby Rojbrown » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:25 pm

Appreciate the input. Warm weather, consistent wind, multiple days on the water and affordability are all ingredients needed for a successful transition. It seems Brazil checks Most of the boxes. Political stability less so though not a dealbreaker. Crime and safety carry weight. But again it’s affordability, affordability, affordability and consistent kiting are the top considerations. I’ve thought of Thailand for its affordability. I have some Spanish skills that make South America attractive though Portuguese is not in my wheelhouse. I am open to learning another dialect. The Asian languages feel more challenging.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:31 pm

Colombia and Peru could work. I haven’t been there, but looks like they have some amazing spots.

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
SPI
Union Island
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:41 pm

Any experience with cost of living in Peru?

hookedcook
Medium Poster
Gear: Elevegiht RS 10 and 12

Postby hookedcook » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Rojbrown wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:25 pm
Appreciate the input. Warm weather, consistent wind, multiple days on the water and affordability are all ingredients needed for a successful transition. It seems Brazil checks Most of the boxes. Political stability less so though not a dealbreaker. Crime and safety carry weight. But again it’s affordability, affordability, affordability and consistent kiting are the top considerations. I’ve thought of Thailand for its affordability. I have some Spanish skills that make South America attractive though Portuguese is not in my wheelhouse. I am open to learning another dialect. The Asian languages feel more challenging.
Do you know French??? Madagascar might tick your boxes? Just got back from a month there, seriously one of the best kite spots in the world, except for good quality clean waves if thats your thing, they are there but you are on your own, but flat water on the low tide, enough to wing or foil on the high tide

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
SPI
Union Island
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:43 pm

No French but I’m open to learning. I’ll search for cost of living numbers. Thanks!

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Postby CaptainKook » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:55 am

As highlighted earlier in post, you could struggle with consistent wind in Thailand and not the cheapest Asian location. Philippine islands, Cambodia, Vietnam or East Indo might be better Asian location.

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
SPI
Union Island
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:59 pm

Interesting as I’ve heard n researched cost of living n Thailand is said to be very affordable. Anyone with personal experience? Travel costs and distance can factor. Thus Mexico and the Americas hold higher considerations

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:22 pm

I have never lived in Thailand, but I have lived some years in Asia and travelled around a bit. Thailand isn’t expensive, but you definitely got cheaper countries in Asia. Two of them got better wind as well - Philippines and Vietnam.

Hua Hin looks nice enough if you want rather modern and developed environment - and can accept fairly weak wind.

One positive if you stay reasonably close to Bangkok it is easy to travel to other kite destinations in Asia. That would of course require some funds.

kitelife361
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, Ozone, Crazyfly, Slingshot.
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitelife361 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:19 am

Visit all locations during windy and non-windy season first. I've kited in a few of the Asia locations, below are impressions, which can change drastically from year to year and over time due to changes in the environment, Federal government, local government or all kinds of political issues, recommend not committing anywhere permanently. All of these beaches are also subject to changes in North American/EU "recycling" as products that are "recycled" by environmentalists in rich nations end up getting dump near/in rivers in Asia, making beaches temporarily unavailable. Indian/Chinese booze cruises or tar balls can also destroy a beach for weeks at a time.

Hua Hin = January to May, good foil wind, 10kn max days are most common, nice beach, safe clean environment, June to December = no wind or dangerous conditions due to storms, tide, beach erosion, pollution, 2+ hours to Bangkok. Nai Yang = May to August, occasional wind, amazing big air conditions when just right, very rural surrounding area but walking distance to international airport. Many other spots in Thailand with widely varying conditions.

Mui Ne = December to March, wind blasts 30+ 50% of the days, dangerous shore break, dangerous wave/tide/wind conditions, no rules/Russia rules on the beach, jet ski support required. Surrounding area is dangerous, tourists are subject to endless harassment, scams and blackmail. Kites shops are a mix of drug dens and fly by night scam operations, C2Sky and Kite Vietnam are the only two exceptions, kite shop support is required to kite on the beach. Beach access is frequently restricted to beach hotel guests only. Phan Rang is even windier than Mui Ne, more rural/rustic, don't travel alone or ride a motorbike in this part of Vietnam (extremely dangerous).

Other spots to check out that I have not, but been told were decent; Sri Lanka, East Coast Taiwan, Boracay PH, Ping Tan CH.
These users thanked the author kitelife361 for the post:
a99 (Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:14 am

kitelife361 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:19 am

Mui Ne = December to March, wind blasts 30+ 50% of the days, dangerous shore break, dangerous wave/tide/wind conditions, no rules/Russia rules on the beach, jet ski support required. Surrounding area is dangerous, tourists are subject to endless harassment, scams and blackmail. Kites shops are a mix of drug dens and fly by night scam operations, C2Sky and Kite Vietnam are the only two exceptions, kite shop support is required to kite on the beach. Beach access is frequently restricted to beach hotel guests only. Phan Rang is even windier than Mui Ne, more rural/rustic, don't travel alone or ride a motorbike in this part of Vietnam (extremely dangerous).

Other spots to check out that I have not, but been told were decent; Sri Lanka, East Coast Taiwan, Boracay PH, Ping Tan CH.
i wonder if these statements might be a bit misleading ?
I've been to mui ne a few times and most of the above has never been my experience. The place felt totally safe, no kite shop /jet ski support was required.

Return to “Kitesurfing”