Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Postby surfbird » Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Sal, Cape Verde

Dirt cheap flats, 100m from beach.
Cheap flights (from europe)
Most steady winds in the world. Never felt anything close.
Flat water and waves.
Pretty good surf, both for kids and advanced.
Nice sun-bathing beach.
Everything within 10minutes taxi.
Nice locals.

Downside.
Not so good medical service.
Small island, not anything else to do.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 am

John Doe wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:27 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:22 am
I spend a bit of time in Indonesia (Mostly Bali), it is so cheap and has some great spots. Once you are out of visa - off to Vietnam. Then back to Indo then pop over to Perth.. Then off to Sri Lanka.

It's a great way not to drain your life savings fast. I used to go to Maui a lot but you can can spend about 5th of the $ elsewhere and I don't find it like it used to be , just so $ orientated - like it has it's own class system these days.
So how long can a foreigner stay in Indo? 3 months? Then how long do you have to be out of the country before you can come back? How about someone in the know put together a list of countries with how long a foreigner can stay, and the minimum investment for permanent residency? Like this:

For U.S. Citizen
Brazil - 3 months in, ? months out. Residency w/ purchase of real estate.
Indo - 3 months in, ? months out.
Thailand - 3 months in ? months out. 10 year visa for 50 years old+
Barbados
Philippines
Oz - 3 months in ?, months out.
Etc.
Different depending on what country you are from, US may be the same, may not, no idea.

if you just enter with a reciprocal agreement automatic via - 30 days max - you cannot extend this. You may be able to pre apply for a 60 days visa? You can also arrive at airport and before you go through immigration go to a booth and buy an extendable visa, that you can extend for a further 30 days (above the 30 days it gives you). Pay an agent to go renew it for you if value your time. Check it is ok for you to use tho,, and still exists..

Go onto an expat forum/ group to get the latest info/ subtleties about exiting eg to Singapore and re-entering. I advise learning as much about the balinese /indonesian culture before you go so that you are sure you understand/respect how things work when you are in their country. Pre learn minimum basic Indonesian too - easiest language in the world! Don't arrive without a tan lol!

People love it or hate it. They get along or they don't because they cannot adapt to the culture change.

I love it.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
John Doe (Mon May 18, 2020 1:06 am)
Rating: 8.33%

pablomontanero
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pablomontanero » Sun May 17, 2020 6:28 am

John Doe wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 pm
Thanks in advance for any advice. I know there have been a few posts like this before. But, I am wondering where in the world I should move to retire & kite???? A few parameters below:

I am an American, U.S., so I guess this means I'm limited to 3 months in some countries? Even if I buy property? Ideally I would like to move to foreign country.
I am married & need stuff for my non-kiting wife. She couldn't be in the middle of nowhere.
I like to surf. I like to kite waves. Not sure I could handle flat-water only.
I am not rich but if I sell my house in California I could buy one somewhere cheaper with money left over to invest.
I speak some Spanish & some French but feel that I would have a better chance becoming fluent in Spanish.
Warm water is a must. It's freezing where I live, I'm over it!
The country would have to have favorable economic parameters for a foreigner coming in.

I've traveled a bit but I think the big thing is the legality. I have some Portuguese friends & one is married for 30 years to an American. They've had a really tough time getting permission to have him stay in the country for more than 3 months, even with her citizenship & owning property. I'd love it there but because of that I don't think it would work.

Thoughts????

Don't forget to check Mauritius. If you buy real estate over a specific amount, you get unlimited residency in the country.
Amazing kiting and waves, good infrastructure, very good quality real estate, medical services, stable economy, low taxes, perfect climate.
A bit far from many places, but not so far from amazing cape town.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 17, 2020 7:01 am

Mr. Doe: I'm in a not un-similar position. I think finding somewhere your wife will be happy over the long term is likely to be very challenging. Obviously, whatever you choose has to meet her needs, or it won't work out. I'm more inclined to think a better idea to have a place somewhere in the US - hopefully much cheaper than where you live now - & travel to different places for 3 - 6 months a year. That way you are not having to make a total commitment to any one spot. Allows you to see more of the world & keep your options open. Many places may be nice - & cheap - to visit for several months at a time, but living permanently in one of those places may be less appealing.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
mede (Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am)

palmbeacher
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Monnickendam
Favorite Beaches: Juno Kitebeach, Miami Beach, Blouberg, Mustique.
Style: Hydrofoil + big air
Gear: Cabrinha, MHL Lift

Postby palmbeacher » Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 am

You may also want to consider South Florida (Miami): real estate is still relatively cheap and lot’s of stuff to do for your wife. Kiting year round if you foil. During summer / hurricane months you can travel to other parts of the Caribbean.

mede
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Liquid Force Legacy, Blade Trigger 8m & 10m, Storm Voyager V13
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Postby mede » Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:01 am
Mr. Doe: I'm in a not un-similar position. I think finding somewhere your wife will be happy over the long term is likely to be very challenging. Obviously, whatever you choose has to meet her needs, or it won't work out. I'm more inclined to think a better idea to have a place somewhere in the US - hopefully much cheaper than where you live now - & travel to different places for 3 - 6 months a year. That way you are not having to make a total commitment to any one spot. Allows you to see more of the world & keep your options open. Many places may be nice - & cheap - to visit for several months at a time, but living permanently in one of those places may be less appealing.
Well put, Flyboy... happy wife, happy live ;)

@Doe Did you ever think of getting a full size Motorhome with slide outs? You could travel to amazing places both for kitesurfing and other activities (eg in the US, you can stay for free along the whole beach from Corpus Cristy to South Padre Island, in Baja California you'll find tons of places as well, and even up in Oregon there are nice spots). You could stay in a nice RV Park in a bustling city if this is what your wife needs from time to time, and then drive to a remote kite spot, or the mountains for a bit of powder shredding :D

And with the money you save, you travel to the greatest kite places in the world a couple of times a year :naughty:

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Sun May 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Retiring in Brazil?

If you are retired and recieve a monthly pension of about 2000€ you can apply for a special visum (aposentaria) which allows you to stay for 2 years in Brazil. it can be extended easily thereafter by the local Policia Federal.
as a tourist you can stay up to 3 months 2 times a year. there are no restriction for foreigners to buy property in Brazil.
I have been kitesurfing all over the world and I have not encountered any other places which come close to Brazil in regards to wind, weather and vibe in general 💨🏝🍹
Andreas
retired in Brazil and Switzerland
Last edited by kruzlifix on Sun May 17, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author kruzlifix for the post:
John Doe (Mon May 18, 2020 1:22 am)

Havre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Brazil is the nicest place I have ever been to, but I would recommend to try it out first. Have a walk around Cumbuco at night and see if you like it etc.

A shame the season overlaps between Brazil and South-Africa. I would love to be in a position splitting my life 50/50 between those two countries.

If you like city life and would be able to pick up Spanish Cartagena would definitely be on my list.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Cartagena is nice too, beautiful old town.

But, Brazil tops it for me.

When there is offseason in Cumbuco, you can travel south to Rio, Recife, Bahia etc for Kiting.

Or sightseeing to Amazonas or water falls.
Buenos Aires is also close and very cheap for another nice trip.

Plus, direct flight increasing from Fortaleza to Miami, 6 hrs and you are in the US etc.

Definitely make a holiday there to feel it’s magic.
The people make it magic too, such a nice culture and happy people.

Havre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun May 17, 2020 6:30 pm

I think you could apply all of that to Colombia/Cartagena as well. As in many things to do in the area.

In terms of "big" cities and kiting Cartagena and Cape Town got to be on the list.

If you are looking for a village then there is plenty in Brazil. As mentioned by others Cabarete is also nice. Even if that would feel a bit like living on a cruise ship for me. Small place pretty dominated by tourists.

Return to “Kitesurfing”