Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Baptiste_FR
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Re: Where Should I Move To Retire & Kite?

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:06 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am
Italy has areas with constant winds!
Check out Calabria!
I don't know the South of Italy that well.
If there is wind, then it's definitely a region to consider : warm weather, great food, nice people, beautiful landscape. And you're still in Europe.
I would probably choose Spain, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 pm

The east coast of Calabria gets awesome wind.
Several spots in a close distance that works with different forecasts.
You need to ask the locals how to correctly understand when and where the wind is.
Even strong winds with 30+ knots.

There are several wind power plants on the mountains...that already is an indicator that there is wind.

People and food are top!

Very nice Kiters around.

And within a short drive you can even go skiing!

Go on a holiday and see yourself!

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Grizwald » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Everyone else has addressed kiting, I am going to talk about money.

I posted this exact question about 5 years ago and then went hunting. I spent the last 25 years in California before I retired. I am still looking for the perfect place but I am currently based in SW Florida because it is cheap, no income tax, with easy access to the Caribbean. PM me if you want to get into details of my search and don't tell my wife I am still looking.

Important to consider, does the country have a duel taxation treaty with the U.S. If you are retiring and just taking all your money and leaving and never coming back, great. But if you maintain ties in the U.S. the government will come after you for taxes. If you keep your house in California and rent it out without having another permanent address the state will come after you for income taxes as well. Even with a permanent address in another state you will have to jump through hoops to get California off your back. If you are getting a pension you have to have a permanent address somewhere or the government will tax it at source and since California was your last place of residence they will get their cut as well. If your income is all going to be capital gains then Puerto Rico has a good program. Portugal has a really good program, the Golden Visa, many tax advantages and European residency but the buy in is 350K Euro for select areas and 500K euro if you want to choose where you buy real estate.
Spain and Italy are basket cases when it comes to taxation. Spain wants you to pay wealth tax on every cent you own everywhere in the world. Not just income but on all your assets.
Greece has a golden visa program as well which is quite cheap, except they will kill you with property taxes.
I have not made it to Brazil yet, I want to go but it seems to always be a political dumpster fire. They also have one of the highest murder and violent crime rates in the world. This was the deal breaker for my wife.
Just another thought, don't forget car ownership. In places like the Canary Islands only full time residents can own a car. If you rent it can be very expensive. Bahamas for example was $100 a day. In Martinique it costs me more to rent the car than it did to rent a on the water house.
Good luck with your search
Griz
These users thanked the author Grizwald for the post (total 3):
palmbeacher (Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:35 pm) • a99 (Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 pm) • Eduardo (Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:18 am)
Rating: 25%

kit3surfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kit3surfer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:45 pm

I would suggest the Canary Islands. Basically all the benfits of Maui - just a tad cooler, but way less expensive and spanish spoken.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 pm

I posted this exact question about 5 years ago and then went hunting. I spent the last 25 years in California before I retired. I am still looking for the perfect place but I am currently based in SW Florida because it is cheap, no income tax, with easy access to the Caribbean. PM me if you want to get into details of my search and don't tell my wife I am still looking.

Important to consider, does the country have a duel taxation treaty with the U.S. If you are retiring and just taking all your money and leaving and never coming back, great. But if you maintain ties in the U.S. the government will come after you for taxes. If you keep your house in California and rent it out without having another permanent address the state will come after you for income taxes as well. Even with a permanent address in another state you will have to jump through hoops to get California off your back. If you are getting a pension you have to have a permanent address somewhere or the government will tax it at source and since California was your last place of residence they will get their cut as well. If your income is all going to be capital gains then Puerto Rico has a good program. Portugal has a really good program, the Golden Visa, many tax advantages and European residency but the buy in is 350K Euro for select areas and 500K euro if you want to choose where you buy real estate.
Spain and Italy are basket cases when it comes to taxation. Spain wants you to pay wealth tax on every cent you own everywhere in the world. Not just income but on all your assets.
Greece has a golden visa program as well which is quite cheap, except they will kill you with property taxes.
I have not made it to Brazil yet, I want to go but it seems to always be a political dumpster fire. They also have one of the highest murder and violent crime rates in the world. This was the deal breaker for my wife.
Just another thought, don't forget car ownership. In places like the Canary Islands only full time residents can own a car. If you rent it can be very expensive. Bahamas for example was $100 a day. In Martinique it costs me more to rent the car than it did to rent a on the water house.
Griz
All good points. As I've suggested before, it seems to me that spending time abroad for extended periods (like 2 - 6 months) may make more sense than committing permanently to a "foreign" kiting spot. It makes the decision about where to locate less critical allowing you to experience many different possibilities.

As far as Brazil being dangerous, like many countries, it depends a lot on where you are.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:02 pm

Where you are and what you do...

If you stay out of problems it won’t be a problem.

Most crime is within the drug world...

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:45 pm

Maybe you travel to some of these places and see if one or two of them falls into place and works well for you and your wife. You could become perpetual travelers for awhile without settling down in any one place. There’s a lot online about PTs with a google search that would give you ideas.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:29 am

Grizwald wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Griz
this is such a good point. I'm still a long ways from retiring but dreaming. having lived in multiple countries, I can attest that such planning can easily impact net income by 40%. And that is enough to buy a lot of travel. Griz has great advice to watch total costs. I have been hugely burned with cars in other countries. hard to see from the outside as you might think you can show up in any country and buy a cheap car. many hidden costs and not just cars...

my advice: get to know a local well enough that they start complaining. and you might hear stories about how you will have to wait 2 weeks to get a plumber, and they won't tell you which day they are coming so you better be ready. or wait in line 5 hours for some permit. or bad repairs. or ...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:11 am

Plus,

At this age one should think of medical bills and overall Medicare.

Somehow Brasil does not resonate as Medicare heaven. Or Greece, Italy (as seen), etc

Florida is the best for you, Americans. Even Dimitri likes it, otherwise he would be based in Greece, wouldn't he?

In many countries, the locals are open to foreigners for different reasons. In some locals are totally closed, and its not really up to you.

The bast is when one is local. Always been, always will.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 am

In Brazil you pay 100 USD for a private health insurance.

Now compare that to the US...

Return to “Kitesurfing”